Cell Boosters

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I'm thinking about installing a cell booster at the house. I'm not that far from a tower (8mi) but I'm lucky if I get 3 bars on a good day. I'm with Verizon and have had others visit with Sprint, T-Mobile and ATT. Only ATT users get service and they get 2 bars outside and nothing inside.

Anyone using a booster that can give some feedback? I'm looking at the weBoost Home 4G booster, model 470101.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I had a remote Camp up this way in northern New York and had zero bars.
Bought a cheap booster and still had zero bars. It was about 15 miles to the nearest cell tower.
Bought a Wilson cell amp and Yaghi antenna and finally got a solid three bars in all weather. It wasn't cheap by any means, but I could call for help if needed and the wife could get me if she needed.

Just had to point the antenna in the direction of the tower and it was good to go.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I had one for my car in the days of CDMA technology. It did help somewhat and I believe the ones designed for a whole house are more powerful, but it was of limited benefit. Very slight improvement.

Highmarket

Equipment
B2650hsdc
Jan 15, 2019
Constableville NY Tughill
I had a remote Camp up this way in northern New York and had zero bars.
Bought a cheap booster and still had zero bars. It was about 15 miles to the nearest cell tower.
Bought a Wilson cell amp and Yaghi antenna and finally got a solid three bars in all weather. It wasn't cheap by any means, but I could call for help if needed and the wife could get me if she needed.

Just had to point the antenna in the direction of the tower and it was good to go.
Tom What carrier do you have? I am up by Highmarket, constableville. I get 1 bar with Sprint. I was thinking about getting a booster. Thanks Rich

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Tom What carrier do you have? I am up by Highmarket, constableville. I get 1 bar with Sprint. I was thinking about getting a booster. Thanks Rich
Now I'm in Turin next to Snowridge, That was at my old Camp in Martinsburg on the top of Mapleridge. I was way past the wind towers, about 10 years ago.
I have Verizon now and on a good day maybe have three bars, if its raining two..... arrrr life in the North Country!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A 1K linear amp would take care of that problem ;)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I downloaded an app called OpenSignal. Based on your location it shows towers, owners and signal strength. May be some help to those trying to locate towers and set up cell boosters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
There is a lot of discussion on cell boosters on RV forums. Seems the ones that work are around $400 give or take. I did a little google research awhile back on this as I need one where we camp in Arkansas in the Ozarks, no signal on any service provider and no ota tv either. I just can't spend this for 7 days each year.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
John,

Max cell range is six miles. It's actually half of that with tower spacing about every 5-6 miles so you are actually doing really well. Not sure how many folks are out your way but calling the carrier with a signal issue is actually a way to get a new tower up in your area.

I live up in the north part of my town and the Verizon signal was 2 bars on a good day. I got all my friends on Verizon to call and complain about the reception in this area and Verizon installed another cell antenna (fake cactus) closer to us. Now, our reception is 3-4 bars and data is quick. The cactus antennae are short -maybe 20 feet tall, so they don't quite have the range an antenna on a power line tower or cell tower would have. It took about a year of complaints to get the new tower in.

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
John,

Max cell range is six miles. It's actually half of that with tower spacing about every 5-6 miles so you are actually doing really well. Not sure how many folks are out your way but calling the carrier with a signal issue is actually a way to get a new tower up in your area.

I live up in the north part of my town and the Verizon signal was 2 bars on a good day. I got all my friends on Verizon to call and complain about the reception in this area and Verizon installed another cell antenna (fake cactus) closer to us. Now, our reception is 3-4 bars and data is quick. The cactus antennae are short -maybe 20 feet tall, so they don't quite have the range an antenna on a power line tower or cell tower would have. It took about a year of complaints to get the new tower in.
Our problem is there just aren't enough people living out this way for them to do anything about it.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
was wondering if the booster ants had improved any since the old car versions..

will check out this one listed.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
John,

I can't see us getting a new tower any time soon unless a mega-farm buys someone out or Honda expands to the east. There is just not the density of consumers out where I live to make it work, and that is why I live out here.
Currently the towers are optimized to give US 33 and the Honda facilities 4G LTE. Once you are within 1/4 mile of their facilities, you pop up to full signal and LTE.

Using OpenSignal last night, I am 7 kilometers from the closest tower or 4.3 miles and the terrain out by me is pretty much flat. I grabbed a loaner T-Mobile phone yesterday from work to test it out and I get 1 bar of service. Still able to make calls, but data use is painful. Lots of buffering. Everyone talks about 5G being the savior for fast data and better call quality but that technology will require even more towers since the signal does not propagate as far as 4G. Ahh the joys of living out in the country.

I think a bit more research in to the different offerings on Boosters and I may try one. If I can get a few more bars, maybe I can dump my satellite internet and go with a hot spot. That will pay for the booster in under 6 months.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
We live rural and my work takes me to remote locations. I run the Wilson booster in my truck and we run one at home. Reception is much better when running the amp. The Wilson equipment is not cheap but, having little or no phone reception can be real aggravating. I’ve seen poor reception improved from 1 bar to 3 or 4. If there is a negative it is the best amp in the world can not boost 0 signal. 100x0 will always be 0. Pricey and worth every penny!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think a bit more research in to the different offerings on Boosters and I may try one. If I can get a few more bars, maybe I can dump my satellite internet and go with a hot spot. That will pay for the booster in under 6 months.
Don't even consider it.

I live very remote 10 miles to the tower, get ok signal most of the time, worse during heavy tourist times.

My neighbor about 1/4 mile up the road tried it and it was a miserable failure, they are even in a clearing and get slightly better signal than I, it was to slow and the connection would drop off every couple min, and yes that was even with a booster.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The problem is power...

We need diesel powered phones! Lotsa torque means kaboodles of jiggly-watts. Three horsepower would reach out but five horsepower would be even better! They could be ORANGE! And we could put big whip antennas on our cars and trucks and come up with our own diesel-electric-phone communication language!

"BREAKER-BREAKER! GIMMEE YOUR 20 GOOD BUDDY!"

Oops. Sorry. I musta dozed off. Clearly we are not paying enough for the cell coverage we are getting. If we pay more, the signal strength will be better and more reliable.

Riiiight....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I use to know a redhead that had a pair of jiggly ,,,ohh sorry,,,,, I went away for a second but Im back now,,,, carry on :rolleyes:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
It would cost us $1800.00 to have a land line put in and that was 12 years ago so we decided to give a magic jack a try, best move we ever made. $50.00 US a year , unlimited long distance any where in North America. It runs through the interweb so if you have high speed your all set. I even have my cell running through it. Of course when you first get it you have to pay for the MJ itself which is 50 or 60 bucks one time fee.

https://www.magicjack.com/index.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9fSPrLC65AIVEhgMCh0Rww2TEAAYASAAEgJbuvD_BwE

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
most of us who live "rural" or "remote" dont have high speed internet... which eliminates internet phones/services.

im on a version of internet that runs thru a mini dish that actually operates off of towers that look like cell phone towers... the fastest speed is only 6mb & thats if NOTHING else in your house but 1 thing is on there.