Cell Boosters

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
most of us who live "rural" or "remote" dont have high speed internet... which eliminates internet phones/services.

im on a version of internet that runs thru a mini dish that actually operates off of towers that look like cell phone towers... the fastest speed is only 6mb & thats if NOTHING else in your house but 1 thing is on there.
Well they call ours high speed but it's not even close. I just did a test on mine and it was 2.94mb and upload is o.48mb but what really matters the most is ping which is usually anywhere between 9 and 19 which is fine for MJ. Our internet is wireless and about the only thing we can get here but even at that we have no trouble watching Netflix or Sling tv which is all streaming. I should mention that I did the test just before 4am so it only goes down hill from there once people start getting up.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I'm looking for the opposite.....

I'd like to find a cell signal BLOCKER / JAMMER

It would be perfect for all these idiots driving around with the phone attached to their ear...... or face book or tweeter or whatever. :rolleyes:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
That would probably cause even more accidents, as all the drivers who just dropped a call try to redial...

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Well they call ours high speed but it's not even close. I just did a test on mine and it was 2.94mb and upload is o.48mb but what really matters the most is ping which is usually anywhere between 9 and 19 which is fine for MJ. Our internet is wireless and about the only thing we can get here but even at that we have no trouble watching Netflix or Sling tv which is all streaming. I should mention that I did the test just before 4am so it only goes down hill from there once people start getting up.

BB,

hey you can do Sling on that? WOW!! we can do netflix & sometimes hulu doesnt lock up... amazon is iffy... but we were told it was too slow for SLing.

that would be my TV choice if we could run it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm looking for the opposite.....
I'd like to find a cell signal BLOCKER / JAMMER
It would be perfect for all these idiots driving around with the phone attached to their ear...... or face book or tweeter or whatever. :rolleyes:
I worked with many very sharp electronics techs, and one built two devices that would do what you describe. The first just sent out a hugely powerful signal that just blotted out every cell signal with 100yds, the second actually burned out any cell phone with about 50 ft. No amount of pleading & begging would get him to build some for me, (he knew they'd catch on eventually) and he ended up destroying them and the plans. Sigh.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
John T, white noise jammers for cell phones are all over the internet , They are however ILLEGAL according to the FCC rules about disrupting communications I forget the section, bad JuJu if you get caught using one. SOme time ago a fellow had one in his car and used it around people on their phones while driving. The problem is the unit he was using was also mucking up the PoPos radar every time he went past them. They pulled him over and I guess it turned to a show,,he was hit with breaking federal laws, as well as disrupting the PoPos radar. Also and I don't remember where but it was up north someplace. A teacher put one in his class to stop the students phones from interrupting his class. One little twit complained to his mama that his phone didnt work in Mr Sonso;s class, yep they found it, and it was not pretty for him.
SO yeah I agree with you,, there are however to many things that can mess that idea up

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
BB,

hey you can do Sling on that? WOW!! we can do netflix & sometimes hulu doesnt lock up... amazon is iffy... but we were told it was too slow for SLing.

that would be my TV choice if we could run it.
To be honest after almost a year we dropped Sling and went with Philo. Pretty much the same programming but half the price. We also have Pluto which is free with lot's of channels. It was a little work around to get it here in Canada but much better then anything offered here unless your into commercials and reruns. We have a Roku tv for the living room and Roku streaming sticks in each bedroom. I tried to get Hulu but they keep a tight lid on it for Canadians, doable but hardly worth the effort. Every once in a while we'd get a warning when watching Sling that our web was too slow but then it would cut back in. I just checked the speed here now and the ping is 19, download 1.36 Mb and upload 0.48 pretty much sucks but we can still watch the 3 I mentioned.

https://www.amazon.ca/Roku-3810CA-S...7792756&s=gateway&sprefix=roku,aps,241&sr=8-3

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
BB,

its a slight hijack/sidetrack...

since you are in Canada... do you do BEV or anything FTA? all my Canadian friends were into FTA, thats how we all met.

will check into the Philo thing.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
BB,

its a slight hijack/sidetrack...

since you are in Canada... do you do BEV or anything FTA? all my Canadian friends were into FTA, thats how we all met.

will check into the Philo thing.
I prefer to call it a work around because I pay the same monthly bill as everyone else. For me television is the best sleeping pill man has ever made and figuring out how to get a better sleeping pill is way more entertaining then television itself. Been a pass time for years well since Dave TV and yes I still do have an old Sonicview FTA receiver collecting dust out in the garage.

I'm not quite sure how we got on to tv when we started out talking about cell phone signal so sorry about that but in any case check out the MJ and running your cell through that when at home or where ever there is free internet, it works quite well for a small price and no I do not have anything to do with the company except I pay for their service.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
cause thread jacking always happens as we find out more about our fellow tractor lovers. LOL

still got my viewsat & a couple of pansats in the closet as well! :D:D

back on topic: YES im gonna check into that booster pretty good.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I need one where we camp in Arkansas in the Ozarks, no signal on any service provider and no ota tv either. I just can't spend this for 7 days each year.
Sounds like my kind of camping trip! When the phone goes to "no service", I've found the right spot. I call it a vacation for a reason, to get away from the hustle & bustle. Only thing the phone is used for at that point is a camera.

GF has a place out west of Mountain View that we will stay at occasionally. Same deal, no service. Booster is no good either. She bought one so she could get on facebook, but no luck. She's gotta drive into town to get any signal and at that point I'm usually floating down the creek or river watching the deer and bears while catching lunch and/or dinner.

In order for the booster to to work you need SOME signal. If none, a booster will not work. It can't boost a signal that isn't there.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Good feedback (hi-jack too) and I do appreciate the input. I do have the signal to start with, it's just weak and gets weaker during the evening / night hours.. The hope here is to make it more consistent in strength. I have 30 days to test a booster when purchased through Amazon so I'll go that route. If it does nothing for me, then I'm out my time but at least I'll know.

I've gotten really good at when I'm on vacation unplugging from work. Our new apps now require you to log in after opening and auto log you out after 10 minutes idle time so just looking at the phone, your email and messages don't auto update. Nice because you think everything is quiet until you log in Monday waiting for the coffee and BAM. I tell people at work, if you need me call cause I'm not logging in every hour on my day off just to check for updates

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Sounds like my kind of camping trip! When the phone goes to "no service", I've found the right spot. I call it a vacation for a reason, to get away from the hustle & bustle.

A few years ago a friend and I took a motorcycle trip through Labrador Canada... somewhere between Goose Bay and Marys Harbor we stopped to squirt the dirt...

No cell service/no airplanes/no bill boards no anything.... Just complete silence.

It was surreal... And beautiful. we stayed there for a while....

Last edited: