BX23S engine oil filter accessible from below? (stuck oil filter)

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
the style I posted keep clamping harder as you turn it and digs into the sides of the cans. They grip better then the three prong style. The fitted cap style dont always work when they are really stuck.
I have a couple of those style and I find they work very good. The one I always use to do the wifes subaru to get up by the exhaust.

Bill

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Form-a -funnels are great. Have a few different widths of them. Oil catching receptacle depends on the job at hand. Anything under 3 gallons goes into a green container with a spout. Then into a 55gal drum. My uncle burns oil to heat his shop. There are various other sized home made Containers for different larger tasks. I have vacuum pumps and the like but rarely use them. More of a pain then kicking a drain pan under an engine/trans etc and pulling the plug.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
the style I posted keep clamping harder as you turn it and digs into the sides of the cans. They grip better then the three prong style. The fitted cap style dont always work when they are really stuck.
Idk if I agree with they grip any better then the 3 finger version. Definatly filter dependant. I've have many different filter wrenches and removal gizmos and the 2 finger version is pretty much a permanent resident of the home box. Only works well on a small range of filter sizes. Too big or small a filter it screws them up just as bad as any other mechanical filter wrench.

Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
How about a discussion of what the proper type of oil collection container should be used? Personally, I like the plastic container that has a spigot at the end to pour the used oil into a container to go to the shop that burns it for heat in the winter.
I don't drain the oil from the pan by removing the nut, I use a pump down the dipstick hole. Sucks out all the oil, and I get to keep my hands clean.
Do you write the type and brand of oil used on the end of the filter along with the hours and tenths of hours, so you know when it was last changed and how often do you change your engine oil?
Write the hours on the filter. Tenths of an hour doesn't matter. Idk how the date really matters either. The additives get consumed doing their job. Not sitting idle in the bottom of the pan.
Also sucking the oil out the dipstick hole doesn't mean your getting all the old oil drained out. Not the end of the world by any means but just something to be aware of.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Idk if I agree with they grip any better then the 3 finger version. Definatly filter dependant. I've have many different filter wrenches and removal gizmos and the 2 finger version is pretty much a permanent resident of the home box. Only works well on a small range of filter sizes. Too big or small a filter it screws them up just as bad as any other mechanical filter wrench.
🤷‍♂️

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Form-a -funnels are great. Have a few different widths of them. Oil catching receptacle depends on the job at hand. Anything under 3 gallons goes into a green container with a spout. Then into a 55gal drum. My uncle burns oil to heat his shop. There are various other sized home made Containers for different larger tasks. I have vacuum pumps and the like but rarely use them. More of a pain then kicking a drain pan under an engine/trans etc and pulling the plug.
I saw a picture elsewhere on OTT showing hydraulic fluid drained into a clear plastic tote. I like this idea because I would like to be able to see the color and level of contaminants in the hydraulic fluid. You folks with the larger equipment have a problem I don't have, which is dealing with significantly larger amounts of fluids. My little BX has 1 gallon of engine oil and I think less than 3 gallons of hydraulic fluid.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When my tractor needs an oil change in the future, I am just going to sell it and not be bothered with having the right oil collection pan or filter wrench. I never realized how difficult it is to change the oil until I read this thread. That coupled with needing a coffee filter to refuel the tractor has pushed me over the edge. I am going to get one of that old-fashioned steel-wheeled reel push mower.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Starting to assemble my weaponry ... two more tools coming from Amazon on monday.

These are the backups. Hope I don't have to take them out of the package and can just return them unused.

Remember that the engine oil filter is only 2.5" in diameter. Makes it harder to find tools that will fit.

pliers.jpg

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Yeah, I'm concerned that a 65mm will slip ... the filter is 64mm/14, so I want to make sure I get one that claims to be for 64mm. They seem to size them a bit loose though, so I might have slippage on this first filter, hence my desire for a backup plan.

Been in this situation before with the cap wrench. Wrapped a piece of emery cloth around the filter and tapped the cap on. Filter came off without any drama.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Another trick I have seen is to drill a couple holes on the cap tool. Then run in a couple sheet metal screws.
Yes, that is one of my backup plans. The cap tool I ordered supposedly has three holes in it already, which is one of the reasons I picked it :)

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Been in this situation before with the cap wrench. Wrapped a piece of emery cloth around the filter and tapped the cap on. Filter came off without any drama.
That's a really good idea to use sandpaper as the shim material ... at least it has the possibility of providing some grip in addition to taking up space.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Kinda depends on age.
At 81 I do not like to crawl/slither under vehicles anymore.
One car, I can access the filter from a bit under/behind the bumper, the other has a top cartridge filter.
I love my 2 cheap little HF oil vacuum pumps.
They are painfully slow....but they work!

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Kinda depends on age.
At 81 I do not like to crawl/slither under vehicles anymore.
One car, I can access the filter from a bit under/behind the bumper, the other has a top cartridge filter.
I love my 2 cheap little HF oil vacuum pumps.
They are painfully slow....but they work!
I'm not sure I ever actually liked crawling under vehicles. But I definitely am not a fan now, at sixty. While I do get some satisfaction fixing things myself (head gasket repair on my 86 Toyota truck last year), if I had the money to pay a mechanic I probably would. I never touch my main car though ... that does go to the mechanic.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The best tool is a positive and confident attitude.

Sounds stupid, but sometimes it’s good to just charge into a problem saying “we’re gonna fix this SOB. I’m not intimidated by this.”

Sometimes I say “oh £^%¥” right after that….🥹, but seriously there is a benefit to having that attitude.

Sometimes being reluctant, pensive or half-hearted in your efforts cause other problems.

Reactions: 1 users

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
The best tool is a positive and confident attitude.

Sounds stupid, but sometimes it’s good to just charge into a problem saying “we’re gonna fix this SOB. I’m not intimidated by this.”

Sometimes I say “oh £^%¥” right after that….🥹, but seriously there is a benefit to having that attitude.

Sometimes being reluctant, pensive or half-hearted in your efforts cause other problems.
Oooh, philosophy! I like!

My attitude completely shifted once I saw the worst case scenario. I watched a video showing how to use a hole saw to cut the end of the filter casing off, then extract the filter element, then use a homemade pin socket tool that engages with the filter baseplate. To me, solving the problem elegantly is as important as solving the problem. It probably comes from being a software developer. I take pride not only in my work, but my process.

I like to fully think through problems. But often the problem isn't fully solved without swearing. I do prefer the deeply methodical approach that inexorably and inevitably moves towards solution without drama.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Oooh, philosophy! I like!

My attitude completely shifted once I saw the worst case scenario. I watched a video showing how to use a hole saw to cut the end of the filter casing off, then extract the filter element, then use a homemade pin socket tool that engages with the filter baseplate. To me, solving the problem elegantly is as important as solving the problem. It probably comes from being a software developer. I take pride not only in my work, but my process.
I was always told, "Beware of programmers with screwdrivers." :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I was always told, "Beware of programmers with screwdrivers." :rolleyes:

better look out for me then..... I've programmed in several languages(like Assembler best..) and build lots of things with screwdrivers.... :)

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
re: I was always told, "Beware of programmers with screwdrivers." :rolleyes:

better look out for me then..... I've programmed in several languages(like Assembler best..) and build lots of things with screwdrivers.... :)
Dude no way! I cut my teeth programming in assembler ... Motorola 6800 ... when I was in high school. Late 70's. I built a Southwest Technical Products kit computer ... rewired a transformer to build the power supply ... the mother board was mounted on a piece of plywood, and the 5" floppy drive was in a shoe box. No software other than the debugger and assembler. I spent $1,000 of my paper route money to buy a Hazeltine 1500 24x80 terminal ... had a recurring dream that it actually was a color vector terminal that all I had to do was flip a dip switch inside. I wrote myself a WSYWIG text editor (no formatting of course) from the ground up ... bootstrapped it ... the first version I hand-entered in the machine language that allowed you to type and backup. Eventually I ended up having an array of pointers into a heap, for fast operation. It was pretty cool.

That was before my first wrenching disaster, which came a couple of years later. Decided to remove the air conditioning from my Volvo 145 station wagon. The compressor bracket was held on by two of the head bolts. Ignoring the fact that you don't just undo a couple of head bolts, it's also not good when they break. I had to call in my Volvo mechanic, who drilled them out with a magnadrill and installed studs. For the remaining years of its life, I would see those studs sticking up every time I opened the hood, and they would remind me of that episode.

After that I became quite a decent mechanic (clutches, head gasket, water pump, oil seals). I replaced the bearings in in a Ford 3 speed manual transmission once. Did one engine swap with a kid I was mentoring on his Corsica. That was funny ... we would come up against some sort of problem, and he would start freaking out, and I would just play the role of wise mechanic ... think through the problem, go to the tool box and assemble some combination of extensions and u-joints and what-not, quietly walk back to the car and solve the problem. It was pretty hilarious, and I played up my thoughtfulness like an award-winning actor. Years later we had a good laugh about that. He was a good kid ... early 30's now. Had a workplace injury and messed up his ankle and walks with a cane...battling with Labor and Industries. He has a 1-ton Ram 3500 and did a stint as a boat transport driver, so he can back a trailer. We went over the mountain pass to get my tractor in February, after I won it on the auction.

Currently though my focus is on learning hydraulics ... gotta do hydraulic top and tilt! I'm running through a 47 episode series on YouTube on hydraulics. Currently at episode 20.

Last edited: