BX23S engine oil filter accessible from below? (stuck oil filter)

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I'm doing my 50 hour service on my BX23S. Engine oil filter is on tight and so far I haven't been able to get it off. Only real tool I've tried so far is a nylon strap style wrench, so I'm pretty early in the process. At 57 hours now so tractor is officially parked until I get this resolved. Tractor is up at my cabin and I don't (yet) have a good tool selection, so every failed attempt is a week delay.

I plan on getting a cap style wrench ... think about this one. It looks promising but even some of the reviews say it was a little loose and might spin on a really tight filter. Wish I could find an honest-to-god 64mm 14 flute cap wrench.

As an alternate tool I was thinking of trying oil filter pliers like this. The problem is that I don't know if I can get them on the filter. Ideally I could come up from below and get on the filter close to the base. I know there's a frame rail there blocking most of the access, but can anybody tell if me there's any room at all to get the pliers in from below? I forgot to check while I was up there.

Thanks!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I use a filter cap socket with a 3/8" ratchet and extension. I took the OEM filter to the auto parts store, and they matched up the correct filter cap socket to the filter. Mine came off without any problems. I did the 50-hour service on a friend's BX23S and he was able to remove both the oil and the hydraulic filter with his hands. There is no way that you can get at the filter from below with ease. Prior to purchasing the cap socket, I used a metal strap wrench that has a 3/8" drive square on one side. Slipped it over the filter, and turned it off. It is down in the garage, so I don't have the manufacturer's name. I know that Gearwrench makes one like it, but I don't know if its diameter might be too large for our small BX filters.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just my opinion, but these are the best I’ve used for getting tight filters off

Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool,U.S.,2-1/2 - 3-1/8
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_KEWGQHM506TFCQ6QPT3R

If you just need to get this one filter off this time, take a long screwdriver and a hammer, drive the screw driver thru the side of the filter filter and out the other side, then use that to get it started.

Reactions: 3 users

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I use a filter cap socket with a 3/8" ratchet and extension. I took the OEM filter to the auto parts store, and they matched up the correct filter cap socket to the filter. Mine came off without any problems. I did the 50-hour service on a friend's BX23S and he was able to remove both the oil and the hydraulic filter with his hands. There is no way that you can get at the filter from below with ease. Prior to purchasing the cap socket, I used a metal strap wrench that has a 3/8" drive square on one side. Slipped it over the filter, and turned it off. It is down in the garage, so I don't have the manufacturer's name. I know that Gearwrench makes one like it, but I don't know if its diameter might be too large for our small BX filters.
Ok thanks. I had a couple of the metal strap style but both were too big. Knowing that, I took my new filter to OReilly's but they didn't have a cap style that would fit, so I bought a nylon strap version. That tore when I tried using it, and it was too stretchy with the filter on so tight. I'm really hoping that the cap style will work and this will all turn out to be a big nothing, but I was hoping I could have a back-up plan for my next trip up.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA

If you just need to get this one filter off this time, take a long screwdriver and a hammer, drive the screw driver thru the side of the filter filter and out the other side, then use that to get it started.
Thank you! I have been wondering how wrenches that have moving components work when you really need to put some torque on. I've done the screwdriver thing once before on a car, decades ago. Once the screwdriver goes in, the tractor doesn't run until the job is completed successfully, so I want to try other methods before I commit to a destructive removal.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thank you! I have been wondering how wrenches that have moving components work when you really need to put some torque on. I've done the screwdriver thing once before on a car, decades ago. Once the screwdriver goes in, the tractor doesn't run until the job is completed successfully, so I want to try other methods before I commit to a destructive removal.
the style I posted keep clamping harder as you turn it and digs into the sides of the cans. They grip better then the three prong style. The fitted cap style dont always work when they are really stuck.

Reactions: 1 users

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA

The Kubota filter is 64mm across the flutes, which is 2.5". Will the Lisle tool clamp down enough on the filter, given that this is exactly at the low end of the stated range?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Try every auto parts store that you can find till you find one that has the correct one. I can say conservatively that I have over 20 different cap filter wrenches in my collection. I bought them all at a swap meet a few years ago for a dollar apiece. Even with that assortment, I couldn't find the correct one for my Kubota, so I had to hunt it down at the parts stores. Went to the garage, and the strap wrench is a KD #2380 and the filter cap wrench is a 65 over 14 (65/14), made in Taiwan.
'

Attachments

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA

I'm thinking I might go with this Motivx version of the Lisle tool. It's more expensive, but the Lisle tool appears to use rivets for the pivot points, and the Motivx one has pins and circlips.

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Try every auto parts store that you can find till you find one that has the correct one. I can say conservatively that I have over 20 different cap filter wrenches in my collection. I bought them all at a swap meet a few years ago for a dollar apiece. Even with that assortment, I couldn't find the correct one for my Kubota, so I had to hunt it down at the parts stores. Went to the garage, and the strap wrench is a KD #2380 and the filter cap wrench is a 65 over 14 (65/14), made in Taiwan.
'
Yeah, I'm concerned that a 65mm will slip ... the filter is 64mm/14, so I want to make sure I get one that claims to be for 64mm. They seem to size them a bit loose though, so I might have slippage on this first filter, hence my desire for a backup plan.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
This is the one that I used on my BX23S. In the morning, I will try it on a filter to see how tight it fits. One thing that I used to do if a wrench were loose on a bolt, was to put a piece of shim stock on one side to tighten it up. I know that the KD tool does work and works extremely well. My father-in-law used to use it on his Beechcraft airplane engine oil filter. He used it to tighten the filter, and then remove it during oil changes. When he sold the plane, he gave me the filter back.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
This is the one that I used on my BX23S. In the morning, I will try it on a filter to see how tight it fits. One thing that I used to do if a wrench were loose on a bolt, was to put a piece of shim stock on one side to tighten it up. I know that the KD tool does work and works extremely well. My father-in-law used to use it on his Beechcraft airplane engine oil filter. He used it to tighten the filter, and then remove it during oil changes. When he sold the plane, he gave me the filter back.
Yeah, I've already started thinking about making up some shim stock just in case.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I didn’t look at the link, but I’ve used the lisle ones for years with no issues
The Motivx tool is the same concept as the Lisle, except it has the circlips, as I mentioned, and the jaws have teeth. It's possible also that the socket wrench might go in a little deeper, IDK. I'm obsessing over this because I want this damn filter off, and the filter is right at the low end of the range of both of these tools. As @DustyRusty points out, I might have to use some shim stock.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 20-15-18 Amazon.com Motivx Tools Oil Filter Removal Tool - Adjustable...png Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 20-17-27 Amazon.com Motivx Tools Oil Filter Removal Tool - Adjustable...png

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
While reading the comments on the review of the Lisle ... I came across this pearl:

One of the best ways to loosen a stuck filter is with a modified cap socket. Find a steel one that fits snugly and drill eight evenly spaced holes in a circle about 2/3 the distance from the center. Use them to install self-tapping screws. Something like this is shown on the video, but four screws are not enough. Incidentally, the best cap sockets are 1/2-drive, with the drive insert point also being a six-point bolt head design.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The Motivx tool is the same concept as the Lisle, except it has the circlips, as I mentioned, and the jaws have teeth. It's possible also that the socket wrench might go in a little deeper, IDK. I'm obsessing over this because I want this damn filter off, and the filter is right at the low end of the range of both of these tools. As @DustyRusty points out, I might have to use some shim stock.

View attachment 81524 View attachment 81525
cant comment on them lol, just shared what I have had experience with (I work on vehicles for a living 😂)

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
cant comment on them lol, just shared what I have had experience with (I work on vehicles for a living 😂)
Your suggestion was extremely helpful. I had initially discounted this general style of wrench (both the 2 and 3 leg versions), but once I read your comments, I knew I would be purchasing the Lisle or similar. So thank you very much!

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Two tools ordered ... one cap style, one ARES 56028...similar to the Lisle that @Fordtech86 recommended.

YouTube videos watched provided two backup options:
  • Option 1 is to drive screws through the cap style wrench into the filter
  • Option 2 is to use a hole saw to remove the entire end of the filter, then remove the filter element, then buy or construct a spanner that engages with the holes in the filter base
Tools for Option 2

hope it doesn't come to this, but it's good to have backup plans ...
Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 21-34-58 TALON Oil Filter Tool (Up to 1500 in lbs).png Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 21-37-13 Oil Filter Stuck on Engine - YouTube.png

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I sure hope that you don't ever have to tackle some really difficult repairs on your tractor.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not to muddy waters, but the plier/channel lock type worked good on my BX. First filter change it was real tight.

Could get a bite on it straight up from below, and I got good leverage on the pliers. They're also narrow enough I can get to the filter pretty easy with the shroud on.