BX2380 Ballast Box weight.

JTC1980$

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 3, 2024
Mullins, SC
Looking for recommendations on proper weight for ballast box on a BX2380. I use the loader and a grapple. I have a bush hog but its too cumbersome to leave attached all the time.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do you HAVE the ballast box? Or thinking about buying it?

If not - there might be a "better" way to balance the front end out.

IF you have bought it - then I would use a material that can be removed and added depending on the situation. But to answer your question, 400-600 pounds is a good range.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The 'proper' weight is based upon the load you're putting onto the front end aka loader operations.
'mulch/brush' loads tend to be light, so less rear ballast is needed compared to full buckets of gravel...
You may want to consider a 'carryall' and 2 'skids of weight' , one heavy, one light. That way you can lift and carry the correct weight in seconds.

JTC1980$

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 3, 2024
Mullins, SC
Do you HAVE the ballast box? Or thinking about buying it?

If not - there might be a "better" way to balance the front end out.

IF you have bought it - then I would use a material that can be removed and added depending on the situation. But to answer your question, 400-600 pounds is a good range.
Have not purchased yet; I was considering a box blade and may go that route but not sure is it’s heavy enough, specs show it at 316 lbs.

Reactions: 1 user

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
My 'old style' ballast box is labelled "300# for BX; 400# for B.' I have about 300 pounds of gravel in mine. It's been adequate for anything I've used the loader for so far.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A few of things to consider first. Are you using a quick hitch? If so, you need to be certain that the ballast box will fit onto your quick hitch. I have an older Kubota ballast box which will not fit onto my LandPride QH05 hitch. I have noticed recently that Kubota has redesigned their ballast boxes a couple of times, and I believe that it is to accommodate the quick hitches that have become popular recently.
For weight, I have mine filled with 1# lead ingots that came with another ballast box many years ago. If I didn't have the lead already I would be looking for barbell weights to stack into a ballast box. A few years ago I picked up 9 Kubota suitcase weights that are 55# each. These would be more convenient to use than the barbell weights, but more expensive also. If you are looking for inexpensive weight, see if you can find truck disc brake rotors. Some of those weigh as much as 50 or 60 pounds each. When choosing weight, consider how easy or difficult it will be to remove it should you want to. I have seen people fill a new weight box full of concrete, and I can't understand why because once you do that, it is nearly impossible to remove. If I were to go the concrete route, I would line the sides of the weight box with plywood before pouring the concrete in, and insert a lifting hook into the concrete so the concrete block could be removed if desired. To keep the concrete from sticking to the bottom of the weight box I would smear a heavy layer of grease on the bottom. To make the lifting hook, use a piece of rebar that you have bent into a U shape and then bend each end of the U about 60 - 90 degrees so the hook will not pull out.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Welcome to the forum.
Pretty sure you’ll find this info in your owners manual. Should be a section that talks about ballast. Also you’ll see the little search icon top right of this page. I’m sure you’ll find more than enough ballast talk and home made ideas if you choose to go that route. Box blade is better than nothing but not as out of the way as a ballast box. Could always get creative

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
A few of things to consider first. Are you using a quick hitch? If so, you need to be certain that the ballast box will fit onto your quick hitch. I have an older Kubota ballast box which will not fit onto my LandPride QH05 hitch. I have noticed recently that Kubota has redesigned their ballast boxes a couple of times, and I believe that it is to accommodate the quick hitches that have become popular recently.
The old - not QH compatible - one is what I've got, too. Bit of a PITA, but usable.

The new WB 10/WB15 are QH compatible, but within the redesign the price went from under $300 to OVER $800!

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Yes, Kubota has gotten quite proud of their weight boxes. Whenever possible I buy used or try to find a more reasonable substitute. As you can see many people make their own since it is nothing more than a box filled with rocks or iron. I had 2 weight boxes and sold one, which now I realize was a mistake. I should have kept it and cut the sides to work with the quick hitch. If you can weld or know a friend who can weld, it isn't difficult to make one. Don't limit yourself to looking for a genuine Kubota product since it has no moving parts and any brand will work. If you decide to make one, copy an existing one for size.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Have not purchased yet; I was considering a box blade and may go that route but not sure is it’s heavy enough, specs show it at 316 lbs.
OP I'd recommend a box blade. If you find it lacking in weight, you can always add.
Regards
BB Weights.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What brand of boxblade is that? Did you make the weights or were they purchased?

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
I purchased a used Armstrong Ag ballast box a while back for my L2501. The box is close to 200#s alone. I thought about concrete and gravel but how to remove if I wanted? Gravel could be dumped but then you’d have to shovel it back in when needed,

I went to local Home Depot and picked up 24-8x4x16” cinder blocks for under $50. Per site 33#s each - 792#s in 3 rows of 8 stood vertical. Plenty of room left around them for fingers if I need to remove some.

I had an old rubber mat that I cut for floor liner and lined sides just to keep them from rubbing the paint off too soon to reduce possible rust. It has drain holes but I keep it under cover so no rain water can get into it.

My box blade isn’t heavy enough for some of my needs and mower is too long and bulky to be used in some of my areas.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
What brand of boxblade is that? Did you make the weights or were they purchased?
Landpride BB & homebrew weights, about 340# total . Someday, I'll get around to cobbling together a weight bar for the front if I ever take the loader off and need front ballast.
Regards

Reactions: 1 users

Island Girl

Equipment
BX
Apr 20, 2024
Langley, Washington
Landpride BB & homebrew weights, about 340# total . Someday, I'll get around to cobbling together a weight bar for the front if I ever take the loader off and need front ballast.
Regards
What a great idea. I've got a Land pride box blade on the back. I was all ready to go buy them but you said that you made them! I see the rebar you welded (out of my depth) but what did you weld them to? Looks like some type of metal plate? We have a welding place up the road who could do it for us but don't want to ask them if it's too labor intensive. Thanks!

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
OP I'd recommend a box blade. If you find it lacking in weight, you can always add.
Regards View attachment 125621
I did similiar with my LMC box blade. I made an 8x8x6' concrete, lead and steel weight block and added it to the back of my BB. I then made provisions to bolt my Ratchet Rake onto the back of the weight block:

Not my best welding. :(

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
What a great idea. I've got a Land pride box blade on the back. I was all ready to go buy them but you said that you made them! I see the rebar you welded (out of my depth) but what did you weld them to? Looks like some type of metal plate? We have a welding place up the road who could do it for us but don't want to ask them if it's too labor intensive. Thanks!
It'll probably be cost prohibitive if you had to pay someone to fab them and the brackets up. Steel plate was free to me and I had the remainder in the scrap pile. The weights are made up from 6pcs of 3/16" plate approx 10 1/2 x 13" plug welded together. Hope this helps.
Regards,