BX2200 mower gear box self-destruct

Kubota77340

Equipment
BX2200, Land Pride 48" finish mower, DR Power 3-point wood chipper
Apr 13, 2017
Huntsville, TX, USA
Evening all,

Bought a used BX2200D with less than 400 hours on it earlier this year. Few electrical issues, but seemed mechanically sound.

That changed this week. While mowing to cut down on the surge of grass growth following Hurricane Harvey, the tractor quit and the blades would not move while mowing through 5-6" grass. Didn't hit anything, but couldn't figure out what happened. After disengaging the PTO, everything else worked find. Tractor cooled off, I tried again with a loud rattling roar from the deck.

I figured I'd better pull the deck to prevent further damage. I found the center blade (under the deck-mounted gearbox) loose- but not at the bolt. The whole assembly wiggled. :eek:

I pulled the blade off, then the boss. Found the bearing there super, wiggly loose but intact.

The gearbox was another story. After pulling it, the shaft was super loose and the entire box would rattle when shaken and occasionally jam when the input shaft was manually turned. I suspect the jam is what shut the tractor down while mowing. :(

Serial number on the gearbox is 0211 with claimed hours just over 400, though I'm starting to get suspicious. Anyone have an idea how much a new assembly would cost, if my local Kubota shop could or would overhaul it, or if anyone out there has a serviceable used unit available? The rest of the deck is solid. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On kubota.com, navigate your way through parts, to illustrated parts manuals. After agreeing to the terms and conditions you come to a search screen. Punch in the model of your tractor. Use capital letters. It will bring up all the models for your tractor.

To the right of your tractor Model is a tab listed as "Local Options". Click on that tab, and it will bring up model numbers for all the different attachments for your tractor. You'll need to know the model number for your deck.

You can get a full parts breakdown of your mower deck. :D

Last edited:

Kubota77340

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
Huntsville, TX, USA
Thanks all,

Don't think I was clear- from what I can tell so far (I've got to get some snap ring pliers first before I can finish disassembly) the whole thing is shot, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with rebuilding. I can order the parts, but before I do, need to ensure I don't have to have special fixtures or tooling to get it done. The boss that I had to remove was a real problem and seems like it may require a press to reassemble so I'm in trouble if that's the case. Anyway, I'll try to post an update and let you know what I find later this week!

Kubota77340

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
Huntsville, TX, USA
All,

Finally got it torn down. Lots of damage, one of the bearings completely ate itself and the shrapnel destroyed the bevel gears. At some point I'll get a picture posted. All the bearings were dry, the gearbox was completely empty of any lubrication. Guessing the bottom oil seal went out and the rest was a matter of time and wear.

I also went parts shopping today on Messick's. Repair parts are nearly $900, with $560 for just the two bevel gears that have to be replaced. A new box is around $1400 depending on the vendor.

Anyone know of any aftermarket support for parts like this?

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Perhaps the question to be asked first is who made the deck for Kubota.

I know that the front mounted snow blowers sold for their smaller tractor and painted orange are made in Quebec Canada. The same company paints the same blower green for John Deere.

Could you please post a couple of photos of the gearbox and I will look through the Comer web site to see if they made it. Comer is an international drive line company and make pto shafts and gearboxes for many types of Ag equipment.

Can you tell the gear ratio by counting teeth on both gears.

Dave M7040

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Kubota makes the deck.

Lower bearing likely failed. The output shaft from the gearbox is supported by 2 bearings. One just under the lower bevel gear in the gearbox itself and the other one is at the bottom, in the deck. When that one dies, it lets the shaft move around, gear oil leaks out, and the gearbox eats itself for breakfast, lunch, and dinner-and leaves behind a garbled mess of powdered metal and burnt gear oil residue. Rebuilding is possible, but not usually cost feasible.

When reassembling, look closely how well the lower bearing goes into the aluminum housing. If it fits loosely, the housing will need to be replaced. It's supposed to be a tight fit. Not quite a press fit, but close. Oh and keep it greased with the proper grease.

bcavender

Jul 16, 2013
Murfreesboro TN
I have the same problem with the bevel gearbox on a RCK54P-23BX.

I have the case removed, but the case sealant is super tight and there are no pry points to seperate the two shells of the housing.

Any suggestions on how to get these shells apart so I can see the degree of damage I am facing?

All comments welcome!!!!

Bruce

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Not sure how similar these gear boxes are, and for the op and bcavender it is way too late, but for fwiw, I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a Kubota tech. He recommended that for my RCK60-30B I switch the 90W gear oil for a 00grease. He showed me how any leak would likely be covered by grass and run out a drain hole and not be noticed. The manual says check oil every day, but I confess that might not happen at my house. He said he learned that tip at Kubota school . Several people on the forum have suggested using grease to solve a leaking gear box on other equipment, but this is first I've heard of using it pro actively. Not for equipment used in the cold though.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have the same problem with the bevel gearbox on a RCK54P-23BX.

I have the case removed, but the case sealant is super tight and there are no pry points to seperate the two shells of the housing.

Any suggestions on how to get these shells apart so I can see the degree of damage I am facing?

All comments welcome!!!!

Bruce
Post some photos.

A while back a forum member thought he had a blown gearbox but he was lucky and a sheared key was all that was wrong.

Does Messicks show parts for the gearbox?

Dave

ps. Gearbox at Messicks is $1,400 wow.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
He recommended that for my RCK60-30B I switch the 90W gear oil for a 00grease.
Thanks for the info on the 00 grease. Sounds like a good proactive move to change over the brushhog and finish mower gear boxes to this type of lubricant given the difficulty in seeing a leak and inconvenience in checking fluid level.

Questions:

1. How do you drain/remove when servicing?

For reference Tractor Supply sells it as Super S Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/super-s-cotton-picker-spindle-grease-00?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
1. How do you drain/remove when servicing?
00 Grease is still fluid enough to drain it, it would just take some time.
You could use a solvent to thin it to get it all out in the event of needing to do parts replacements.

Another one that is used is Corn head grease is more of a traditional heavy weight grease, you would not pull that out, you just add more when needed.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks NIW I was wondering. Thought I remembered something about Corn grease, but couldn't resurrect the name. Looked for melting point, one kind is around 350F but thought it would be hard to get in the oven :p. Maybe a hairdryer.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I think switching to a 00 grease would be a good idea. It will flow at normal temps, and becomes a thick liquid when warm.

I actually starting using corn head grease to service the cam followers on my Super Split. Without a steady supply of oil like they would get in their normal application, they have a tendency to seize up. Regular grease was to thick.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
The lower seal on my RCK 60-24B MMM let go and I had no idea until it was too late. All I could salvage was the cast steel housing and the pulley. Got quotes on parts... over $1100. Even then there was no accurate way to set the bevel gear backlash... I ordered a new gear box assembly from Burke Equipment, Bear, DE. It was just a couple dollars north of $900.00 in total. Man... I was super pleased when it came in and I opened the box. IT WAS ALL THERE... WITH THE PULLEY AND ALL!!! All I had to do was bolt it to the deck, install the blade and put the belt on...