Brush Hog Question

firecat

Equipment
L2501
Sep 24, 2016
Conway Arkansas United States
While bush hogging with my new 2501 today I hit a hidden stump and it stopped the cutter and shut the tractor down. I fired everything back up and everything worked. Is there likely any damage to the tractor, pto etc.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Re: Bush Hog Question

Your mower should have a slip clutch or a shear pin (bolt) that compensates for situations like you described. You might want to check to know which you have. Then make sure the clutch is not too tight, if that's what you have. And maybe put a weaker shear pin so next time it shears.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

You should have sheared a pin or slipped a disc on a clutch pack. Either of these should be in the PTO shaft between the tractor and the mower. Since it stopped your tractor I assume the shear device did not work.

A shear pin is usually a bolt with low strength. If it has been replaced with a bolt of high strength then it won't shear in this situation.

If it is a slip disc pack then it is either rusted together or mis adjusted.

Either should be replaced or adjusted to shear in this situation.

You probably did not damage anything but did nothing good for the tractor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

You could have bent your output shaft. If it's under warranty I would have it checked. At the very least the slip clutch / shear pin issue needs to be addressed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a Brush Hog not a Bush Hog, Bush Hog is a Brand name. ;)

Notatractorguy

Equipment
Bush Hog @ Brush Hog
Sep 25, 2016
California
Hello All
New here. Tomato or tamoto. Brush Hog or Bush Hog. NIWM it is a rotary cutter. Hope that clears it up.
James Dandy

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
"Hello All
New here. Tomato or tamoto. Brush Hog or Bush Hog. NIWM it is a rotary cutter. Hope that clears it up.
James Dandy"

It's always interesting when a first time poster has something to contribute that "corrects" a long time poster.

Since you're Notatractorguy, maybe you just enjoy being right!

Here's another rotary cutter.

Stick around and you'll soon find out the importance of distinguishing between gas and diesel when adding fuel.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Not a problem here. Maybe I'm just a bit quick on the trigger.

North Idaho Wolfman has helped me personally with many different machines and mechanical/hydraulic problems. I appreciate his help and his attention to detail. That detail is what saves time, money and frustration, and develops friendships.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just want you to get good info, as you have a Landpride Brush mower and not a Bush Hog brush mower. ;)

Call it what ever you like! :p :D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Some terms or words become different in their meaning with time . A coke in the south means "a carbonated soft drink", whereas if you want a "Coca Cola, " you ask for a Coca Cola.
A "skill saw" means that round small saw that all carpenters use. But if it's a Dewalt, is it still a Skill saw. No , it's a circular saw. Skill was the company that invented the circular saw and so everyone calls it a skill saw. But, as wolfman said,,, It just helps to diagnose when you know exactly what you'
re working on.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Slip clutches have to be adjusted. They need the adjustment checked at the beginning of each cutting year.
The LandPride cutter has a lot of protective stuff to move to get to the clutch, but it must be done.
I have a bran new one as the OP does, and I can say with certainty that it would NOT have slipped as needed when new because I had to make lots of adjustment to the bolts to get it to slip for the test.
Good Luck with it.
PS: when I got mine I asked and was told that no shear pin is installed along with a clutch (from my dealer):D............but it could easily be done by owner !

firecat

Equipment
L2501
Sep 24, 2016
Conway Arkansas United States
Thanks Blondie I hooked it back up today and at PTO speed the shaft is wobbling pretty bad. I just hope it didn't damage the tractor when it stalled it. All seems to be ok other than the vibration.

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.
I had the same thing happen with my LP cutter - I hit a hidden rock in the field and killed the tractor. When I went to start it back up it acted like the battery was weak and would not start. I let it cool for a few minutes and it fired up but that was a weird one as I had been cutting all day before that?

I will get into the clutch the next time and check it out.
Thank you for posting this.
Chris

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks Blondie I hooked it back up today and at PTO speed the shaft is wobbling pretty bad. I just hope it didn't damage the tractor when it stalled it. All seems to be ok other than the vibration.

What shaft is wobbling?

What is vibrating?

Both symptoms could be minor to potentially deadly!

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes I agree with Bulldog it needs to be repaired. If you have another implement with a different PTO shaft, hook that up and see if symptoms persist (that would mean tractor has problem) or if it is gone you know it is something on mower.
If mower is suspect start looking at the input shaft to see if it is straight, get new blade if one is bent (suggest that you get that from dealer of implement to ensure it is the correct blade)