Brush Hog Question

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I'm going to start with the blades. I don't have another shaft. The shaft still goes together real smooth.What could be wrong with the tractor to cause this. The PTO stub looks fine?
Are the blades swinging freely on the stump jumper? Usually after hitting something the blades will be pushed back and will wobble until you speed it up or slow it down until they straighten out to balance out. I'll usually idle the tractor down with the pto engaged, disengage the pto, set engine speed to 540 pto speed and slowly let out the clutch to quickly bring the cutter up to speed and the vibration is gone.
I have a shear pin on my cutter and have stalled my tractor several times without breaking the grade 2 shear pin.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
A little vibration?
Power OFF of course
Check the blades to make sure they swing freely. Whenever mine starts to shake and shimmy its because junk gets wedged into the pivot and 1 or both blades no longer spins out freely to full extension. You can also turn by hand to inspect for any bent blades or shaft.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
May want to check the output shaft. I'm having to rebuild one of the gearboxes on my batwing. The output shaft was bent and along with that the yokes on the driveline to that wing were twisted.

Both yokes, u-joints, output shaft, seals plus 2 blades===$1000 mistake that the previous owner failed to mention. The joy of buying used implements.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Bulldog are you talking output shaft on the tractor? I would hope something on the cutter would break before that would bend. Thanks for the info every one.
Sorry, I meant the output shaft on the cutter. Mine is like a 2 or 2 1/2" shaft and it's bent. Have no idea what was hit but that's a lot of steel to bend.