Broke casting on backhoe and backhoe leaking

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Almost 50 hours on the tractor and I managed to break the casting that holds the pin for the swivel. I must not have had the pin in all the way. :mad: the backhoe is also leaking from the bank of fittings and valves under the platform. I am going to do the 50 hour service in the next couple of days and will tighten everything. if that does not work I will call the dealer. Bummer .. I did tackle three ash stumps and a spruce stump this afternoon ash stumps are not spruce stumps the hole was so deep I heard Chinese music by the time I got the stumps out.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Pics would be very interesting here...... (y)

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
KTAC covers abuse?
Mikester- What I see is a tractor with 50 hours on it that has a broke casting. Abuse? Who said anything about abuse except for you. Because a casting breaks or a hose leaks it must be abuse? I don't agree. But to answer your question, Yes, it may be covered by KTAC if it accidentally broke. If you have an accident with your car, according to you it's abuse and shouldn't be covered. I would also complain to Kubota and put in a possible warranty claim and let them determine if it was abuse or maybe a casting defect?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Kta
Mikester- What I see is a tractor with 50 hours on it that has a broke casting. Abuse? Who said anything about abuse except for you. Because a casting breaks or a hose leaks it must be abuse? I don't agree. But to answer your question, Yes, it may be covered by KTAC if it accidentally broke. If you have an accident with your car, according to you it's abuse and shouldn't be covered. I would also complain to Kubota and put in a possible warranty claim and let them determine if it was abuse or maybe a casting defect?
KTAC is about best insurance you will find for your machine. It covers normal use / accidents in addition to a slew of others…fire, theft, transport,etc. check your policy to be sure but it is very easy to file your claim.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Almost 50 hours on the tractor and I managed to break the casting that holds the pin for the swivel. I must not have had the pin in all the way. :mad: the backhoe is also leaking from the bank of fittings and valves under the platform. I am going to do the 50 hour service in the next couple of days and will tighten everything. if that does not work I will call the dealer. Bummer .. I did tackle three ash stumps and a spruce stump this afternoon ash stumps are not spruce stumps the hole was so deep I heard Chinese music by the time I got the stumps out.
Try the KTAC route if you have it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
He said he's in Canada and they don't have KTAC up there, so that's off the table.
Hope you can get it fixed for fairly cheap!

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
KTAC or not, I would absolutely be taking this to Kubota & the dealer for warranty resolution. 50 hours and broken casting... come on?

IMO You don't know what or how it cracked and it should be up for the use. Do not take the notion that you "did it". FWIW & NOT useful to OP, but KTAC is supposed to cover stupidity also

Edit - not uncommon for one or more of the hydr. hose fittings to loosen early on. I would bet that is a simple non-issue.

Can you post some pics?

Last edited:

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
KTAC or not, I would absolutely be taking this to Kubota & the dealer for warranty resolution. 50 hours and broken casting... come on?

IMO You don't know what or how it cracked and it should be up for the use. Do not take the notion that you "did it". FWIW & NOT useful to OP, but KTAC is supposed to cover stupidity also

Edit - not uncommon for one or more of the hydr. hose fittings to loosen early on. I would bet that is a simple non-issue.

Can you post some pics?
I am going to contact the dealer i will post some pics the more I think about it the pin was stuck as it often has been and I moved the lever to swivel the backhoe and the casting broke I kept working after the incident and had some trouble finding the broken part. But I found it yesterday and it has a lot of porosity in the casting.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I am going to contact the dealer i will post some pics the more I think about it the pin was stuck as it often has been and I moved the lever to swivel the backhoe and the casting broke I kept working after the incident and had some trouble finding the broken part. But I found it yesterday and it has a lot of porosity in the casting.
Yes the casting is suspect, but I'm sorry to say digging ash tree stumps is very hard work for a SCUT designed to be a lawn mower.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is GM going to warranty a 3,600 lb GMC Terrain if I try towing a 10,000 lb fully loaded trailer?

That's funny, I wish GM would stand behind their 6.0L engines installed in pickup trucks that burn 1L of oil every tank of gas and fix their problems instead of telling buyers that amount of oil consumption is considered "acceptable".

I can't imagine a SCUT having any sort of abuse after reading the OP's "tackle three ash stumps and a spruce stump this afternoon ash stumps are not spruce stumps the hole was so deep I heard Chinese music by the time I got the stumps out." Putting a BH on a SCUT designed to be a lawn mower doesn't make it a Case580 TLB.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's not THAT 'hard work', just makes for a loooooong day :) Removed a maple,bout 3' round, so BTDT. didn't hear Chinese music though..just a lot of 4 letter words with ' WHY am I doing this ?'
The great 'fun' was when the dump trailer sank into the refilled hole.....

Reactions: 1 user

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
We know that every size has limitations and can under or over-perform etc. Maybe it was or was not considered abuse given the colorful description...

My thoughts are:
  • The BH70 was sold with and designed for the stock tractor he has it on by Kubota.
  • He was digging with it - If it was too much, the hydraulics "tap-out" and it doesn't work.
  • It has @50 hours on it (virtually new)
IMO - I humbly and respectfully inform them of the issue with the expectation that they stand behind it

Reactions: 2 users

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
We know that every size has limitations and can under or over-perform etc. Maybe it was or was not considered abuse given the colorful description...

My thoughts are:
  • The BH70 was sold with and designed for the stock tractor he has it on by Kubota.
  • He was digging with it - If it was too much, the hydraulics "tap-out" and it doesn't work.
  • It has @50 hours on it (virtually new)
IMO - I humbly and respectfully inform them of the issue with the expectation that they stand behind it
I had not even started to use the BH. I was trying to get the transport pin out of the swing and the casting broke. I continued to use the BH and it is not a fatal break I can still use the backhoe. I have contacted the dealer and will see what happens overall I could not be happier with the tractor or the BH
DSC_0075.JPG

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
ahhh, i see where it broke now. That is a really weak point. I'm guessing that you used the swing with the swing lock engaged?

I rarely use the swing lock (only while trailering) for fear of breaking it. I don't try to capture the locking pin by swinging the boom, rather just leave the pin sitting loosely in the hole.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
ahhh, i see where it broke now. That is a really weak point. I'm guessing that you used the swing with the swing lock engaged?
My backhoe has a boom lock. Might have a swing lock but if it does I never used it. BUT I did have an issue with the boom lock. I kept forgetting it, and eventually it pulled out of the boom.

Turns out it was only pressed in, and not welded. I welded it back in properly, and the issue went away.

Point I want to make is with hydraulics, the limit on the hydraulic system should be met BEFORE physical damage is done. Otherwise even pulling on a root when digging a stump could damage the equipment.

So the question is, did the OP have the failure when using the equipment as designed, or did something else happen, like making a turn and hitting the backhoe boom/stick on a tree, and thereby causing forces that exceeded design limits?

Just offering a question, as I am sure in my case I had a problem and did not exceed design limits. Was easily fixed by myself, and never reappeared as an issue, although I continued to make the same memory error afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user