Broke casting on backhoe and backhoe leaking

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
KTAC or not, I would absolutely be taking this to Kubota & the dealer for warranty resolution. 50 hours and broken casting... come on?

IMO You don't know what or how it cracked and it should be up for the use. Do not take the notion that you "did it". FWIW & NOT useful to OP, but KTAC is supposed to cover stupidity also

Edit - not uncommon for one or more of the hydr. hose fittings to loosen early on. I would bet that is a simple non-issue.

Can you post some pics?
You obviously understand, but some here should pay attention to the prior posts!
The OP has CLEARLY stated.... "No KTAC available up here"
To me that simply means that there is no KTAC available in Canada!
It makes absolutely ZERO sense for posters to continually recommend KTAC, when it is not available to the OP.

Reactions: 1 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I had not even started to use the BH. I was trying to get the transport pin out of the swing and the casting broke. I continued to use the BH and it is not a fatal break I can still use the backhoe. I have contacted the dealer and will see what happens overall I could not be happier with the tractor or the BH View attachment 81170
Right - and so my thoughts would be it should hold up to that and not cracked. I have been getting "better" ingrained habits after spending a lot of time with mine but still have the occasion brain lapse and go against the pin. I would be shocked to think it is not meant to hold against that movement as designed.

Worst case scenario, some old-timers can 1) braze weld castings to get you back to some level of safety lock with the piece you have. You are not protected against that one side boom movement when transporting you could live with it and 2) accommodate with extra straps or 3) perhaps drill & tap some kind of half steel collar (search in plumbing supplies) or fashion one out of heavy bar stock.

FWIW - I am NOT the "bubba" they refer to with old cars but do have some of the same skill sets :p

Last edited:

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
@top gnome
The fracture is blurry but I think that part is steel. If the dealer strands you then a repair with some prep should be easy.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
You obviously understand, but some here should pay attention to the prior posts!
The OP has CLEARLY stated.... "No KTAC available up here"
To me that simply means that there is no KTAC available in Canada!
It makes absolutely ZERO sense for posters to continually recommend KTAC, when it is not available to the OP.
It's not called KTAC in Canada but the insurance coverage Kubota required to finance my tractor is as broad as KTAC for replacement value on any damage, operator idiocy-caused included. It's underwritten by AIG I seem to remember. So until I pay off the 0% Kubota financing it's fully replacement covered.

Reactions: 1 user

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Hi I just wanted to update on this issue. I contacted the dealer back in June on the broken casting and He emailed me that the casting is going to be in next week and they are picking up the tractor to repair. I have used the backhoe a lot this summer and noticed the swing is much faster than the other cylinders. but my highest praise for Nova International

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi I just wanted to update on this issue. I contacted the dealer back in June on the broken casting and He emailed me that the casting is going to be in next week and they are picking up the tractor to repair. I have used the backhoe a lot this summer and noticed the swing is much faster than the other cylinders. but my highest praise for Nova International
"Nova International" = Halifax ???

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
"Nova International" = Halifax ???
Alysford Nova Scotia. But there are other branches. They came and got the tractor on Thursday hopefully will have it back today or tomorrow. My Grapple is a bit sticky and will not close unless I turn down the rpm so They are going to look at that also.

They also run sales on maintenance parts on line so in Canada may be a good source for those items once you are on the email list. they will notifiy of sales. I have only gotten two emails from them since January to announce sales so they are not pushy. So far they have been really great to deal with.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
On both of my BX TLB machines, I never broke that casting, and it wasn't unusual to need to drop the pin into the upper hole and then move the boom right or left to have it fall all the way down into the second hole. If that is abuse, then I would have cracked mine, but never did. Occasionally I would forget to pull the pin and would operate the backhoe, but it wouldn't move, and that should have broken the casting also, but it never did. I believe that it was a defective casting to start and should be replaced under the factory warranty.