Brand New 2021l2501 oil plug falls out

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Good Lord Kubota it's a new tractor with just 5 hours and the engine blew up, replace it! How would you feel if this happened to your new Ford F150 after just 50 miles and the dealer said "leave the truck here you're going to have to walk, but Ford's going to send a new Ecoboost engine, we don't know when but we'll call after our tech Bubba changes it"?
It happens, and no you don’t just get a new truck. You get a loaner/rental and the truck you bought gets fixed. If the engine keeps blowing up then you have grounds for a buy back or replacement of the truck. Again once proven beyond doubt that Ford is to blame.

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
It happens, and no you don’t just get a new truck. You get a loaner/rental and the truck you bought gets fixed. If the engine keeps blowing up then you have grounds for a buy back or replacement of the truck. Again once proven beyond doubt that Ford is to blame.
Really? I said in my example "the truck's engine blew up in 50 miles" which isn't unlike the OP's tractor engine's catastrophic failure in 5 hours. No way I'm keeping that truck.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, if the vehicle goes wrong within the first 30 days of ownership, you can simply reject it for a full refund. If a fault develops after those 30 days but within the first six months, the dealer gets one chance to fix it. If they fail to do this, you’re entitled to a full refund, or a partial refund depending on the amount of use the vehicle has had.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Really? I said in my example "the truck's engine blew up in 50 miles" which isn't unlike the OP's tractor engine's catastrophic failure in 5 hours. No way I'm keeping that truck.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, if the vehicle goes wrong within the first 30 days of ownership, you can simply reject it for a full refund. If a fault develops after those 30 days but within the first six months, the dealer gets one chance to fix it. If they fail to do this, you’re entitled to a full refund, or a partial refund depending on the amount of use the vehicle has had.
Go buy a new truck, blow it up on the way home, and come back and share your experience please.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I knew someone that had an engine fall of out their new car on the way home after buying it. Ford covered it. Someone forgot to tighten the motor mounts and transmission mount. :D Possible, but super rare.

Not saying the OPs case couldn’t happen, but crazy rare considering they paint the engines after putting them together.

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Go buy a new truck, blow it up on the way home, and come back and share your experience please.
Come on guys...this is getting a little out of hand...
Let the process move forward, give the Dealer & Kubota a chance to make it right...get the PDI Checklist to document proper procedures were followed...then escalate if needed.

Thought I would share a similar but funny story about my Grandfather to lighten up this thread...
He was a tough, scrappy, hard-worker from Missouri...survived the Depression & WWII...only finished half of his 8th grade year...
He bought a new Oldsmobile from Hansel & Ortman in Stockton, CA back in the 60's...it ran poorly from the start. He brought it back numerous times to the Service Manager to no avail. Finally, the Service Manager said "if the engine was blown, we would fix it under warranty, otherwise can't help you".
So right in the service bay, Grandpa started the car & held the accelerator to the floor till the engine blew... then said, "Ok, it's blown now. you can put in the new engine"!
Rest of the story is he got the car back with a new engine!
Certainly a different era then vs now!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Without going back and rereading the four pages of posts, it appears like Kubota and the dealer are going to make this right for the OP, although he will suffer loss of tractor availability for a while.

Even if he hit something with the oil pan, what is the likelihood this would only loosen the drain plug? I would think the oil pan would be deformed first.

My question is, if the drain plug were just lightly tightened, how quickly would one expect it to loosen? My impression is that diesel engines vibrate more than gas engines, so a loose drain plug would be more likely to fall out quicker in a diesel than in a gas engine, in general.

Here is my oil drain plug story, and the reason for my question.

I got a new Subaru Legacy station some years ago. First oil change I drained the oil and put the first four quarts or so back in, at which point I checked level on the dipstick before putting more in. Well, the level was more than twice as high on the dip stick as it should have been. WELL above full.

Getting over the shock, I finally realized that I had drained the transmission rather than the engine. So I drained the engine oil, losing the new four quarts of synthetic I had put in, and ran to the auto parts place for replacement transmission fluid. All was well for quite a few miles.

I think there was a recall on that vehicle, as I had to take it to the dealer for something, and I never use the dealer for any routine maintenance. The mechanic asks me if the transmission fluid was ever replaced. I ask why?

He says the drain plug was loose. But he tightened it and it should be fine now...I told him about my error.

I can only guess that I put the transmission drain plug in finger tight, and drove for many miles before getting the recall notice.

SO...five hours on the tractor does not sound like much time. But perhaps due to increased vibration more than enough time to vibrate a loose plug out.

I hope the OP does not do something as the result of this thread that will impact his repair experience negatively.

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You subtly changed the meaning, it should read:

Go buy a new truck, it blows up on the way home, and come back and share your experience please.
One in the same…

The experience will be no different.

Not saying you won’t get money back or a replacement vehicle, but its not as easy as it sounds.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I have a brand new 2021 Kabota l2501 with less then 5 hours on it when moving a load of wood with my loader the oil pressure light came on engine cut off . Got off the tractor notice some oil leaking out and the bolt was missing . Kabota has since picked up the tractor and said the engine is locked and will require a brand new engine. The dealershit keeps asking me if I hit anything with the tractor or ran over a stump which I have not . Warranty covers the new engine but should I be Leary of replacement engine or possible other damage ? I feel like the tractor wasn’t properly inspected before being dished out . I waited 5 months to get this tractor and dealing with this 5 hours into operation has been nothing but a headache . Any advice or similar experience would be appreciated
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I also would be really bummed out.

As some others have mentioned, it's ideal if you were able to take pictures, a bunch of them. Under the tractor, the line of oil on the ground, the more pictures the better, you never know what you might need them for later. Try to document what happened the best you can with photos. Maybe even write it down while it's fresh in your mind.

By engine replacement I assume you mean they are sending a brand new replacement motor? As mentioned, with such an extensive repair, there is certainly some risk/concern with the quality of the repair. At the same time, we are just talking about installing a motor here, not an actual rebuild of a motor. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot that goes into pulling and installing a motor, but we aren't talking building the Space Shuttle in terms of the amount of critical tolerances and procedures. Realistically, if it's a seasoned technician doing the work, you should be fine. Don't get me wrong, I still would have some uneasiness/anxiety over the whole situation (I tend to over think everything). So don't take my comment as you should be feeling like nothing happened!

I think to make myself feel more at ease, I would at least ask for some sort of extended warranty? In addition to that, I would be asking for a loaner tractor (but who knows if anything is available).

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
kubota doesn't buy tractors back. They repair them. Well more specifically, 30 years of kubota work, tech, parts, very limited sales, and then 20 some years of service managment and foreman, they've bought one tractor back while I was at that dealer. One, out of thousands. So, assume it doesn't happen. Deere, Kubota, Bad Boy, Yamaha, Kawasaki, among others.

That one tractor. Had multiple issues, and the buyer got his attorney involved, and kubota decided that it was in their best interest to buy it back. It was also a "new" unit that was I think the 2nd one sold nationwide, of a new model that had just been introduced. And I fixed the problems, which weren't that horrible, all told. Now the downside, the owner had spent about ~$6200 on attorney and administration fees. Most manufacturers won't pay attorneys' fees either, so if that option is on the table, figure in those costs (which will likely be higher nowadays).

On 'buybacks". They took that one back, give him a new one (same exact model) but the implements and attachments, and all of the cosmetic imperfection body work had to be swapped to the new tractor. That meant, the dinged hood, both fenders, floorboard, step, wheels/tires, loader, backhoe, subframes, all hoses, were all swapped over, and that cost the customer. It was a good bit of labor, I want to say around 12 hours or so as I recall. That was part of the agreement. Then, all the new stuff had to be installed onto the old tractor once the old tractor was repaired, which in that case was nothing more than a flywheel but the owner didn't want his 74 hour tractor split to replace a simple flywheel. Kinda dumb if you ask me but whatever. I was doing the work. All of it (both tractors) including dealing with kubota reps. Now, once that was all done and it was delivered to him, he was upset because he didn't get a "new" tractor. he did get a new tractor, but with his abused body work. Why's that done? Because Kubota (and the dealer) have to do something with the "old" one. In other words, the most common option is to repair it and sell it. Sometimes the dealer will get a credit which they use for haggling on the price of the sale of the tractor they repaired. But it's not sold as new. It's sold mostly as a used tractor with the proper warranty (so if it's 6 months old, it still has 18 mo of warranty left on it, you get the idea). In this case it had a little under a year left. I know who purchased the old one. They have not had a single problem with it in the 6 1/2 years theyv'e owned it. So the repairs were made correctly, the problems were corrected, and it has been trouble free.

Lemon laws apply to new motor vehicles. Tractors (and mowers) are not considered motor vehicles in most states thus any lemon laws are null. Also, even if it did apply, the owner has to (usually) give the dealer and mfg'r multiple chances to repair the issue(s) before the process can even be considered, and it has to be under a certain age. There are numerous stipulations. It is honestly rarely used. It is rare because people tend to take advantage, many times unnecessarily. Warranty is the same way in that 85% of warranty claims aren't really warranty, they're user related failures that the manufacturer will pick up the tab on after the dealer words the claim in such a way to make it sound and look like a legitimate failure. I know--because I did it. A few years back they started asking for digital photos and that weeded out some of it, but not all of it. Now they are wanting videos, they want fluid analyses too among other things. Warranty costs and they are doing what they can to (A-and most importantly) use the data to determine what components can be improved and (B) to reduce the costs both to all consumers and to the manufacturer. Great example injectors. Injectors aren't made by teh people who make the tractor, they're outsourced. So when the people make the tractor get a request for warranty replacement of an injector, they want to know why it's requested, what's wrong with it, and in that process they want datalogs, fluid samples, pictures, videos---because the people who make the injectors want that data to determine what's going on with it/them.

if the dealer is a rental dealer, sometimes they'll "loan" a rental unit. Rare but not as rare as a buyback.

someone mentioned take pictures of the oil pan and hope it ain't bent. Apparently whomever mentioned that, has never seen an L2501 oil pan (or many other kubota pans) because this particular one (L2501) is a THICK cast aluminum pan, double hump style with the driveshaft running through the center of the "humps". It has two drain bolts one for each sump. You don't bend one of these pans, you don't really even ding them. You can break them but if you do, you have other serious problems. You can pick the entire tractor up by jacking up on the oil pan, and it doesn't hurt the pan at all. They are, honestly, THAT thick. I've had the pans off of other larger 4 cylinder engines doing in-frames and repairs, and they are heavy for just being aluminum. Kubota uses those big thick pans as a noise buffer and to a lesser extent, a stressed member of the engine block which increases engine rigidity.

can't compare a tractor to a car. Totally different. But since almost all of us have a car, that's what we tend to compare to anyway because sometimes our experiences are similar.

Insurance. KTAC would pick up the tab on this if there is evidence of an accident. $250 deductible I think it is. Warranty has no deductible but warranty is also a lot more stringent.

finally, replacing an engine on a L2501 is pretty easy. Any tech that has any mechanical skill should be able to do it. A seasoned tech should have it done in under flat rate and should also have it done accurately, such that you (the owner or operator) would never even know. Kubota trains the techs rigorously.

Reactions: 4 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
There is a lot of Gum Flapping in this thread, particularly by 1 or 2 members who like to post just to here themselves talk, but the OP hasn’t come back to post. Many want to hang Kubota and the dealer without even giving them a chance to do anything or even knowing all the facts.

Reactions: 2 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Most everything I have read in here is bad dealer PDI. You pay them for that when you buy the tractor.

The only bummer is you lose use of your tractor until they fix it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Most everything I have read in here is bad dealer PDI. You pay them for that when you buy the tractor.

The only bummer is you lose use of your tractor until they fix it.
hence the reason I suggested to get a copy of the pdi, that the dealer and new owner are supposed to sign

i've known dealers just take them and toss them. Bad practice. All it takes is one of these kinds of 'oops's' to ruin a dealer's day. And normally if no pdi on file, kubota won't help the dealer either.

Deere was real finicky about it. Yamaha was too. And Kawasaki was getting that way when I left the dealer. They should all be. The PDI is the dealer's first defense. If it's checked (checked drain plugs) and signed by dealer and customer, the dealer is a lot less liable.

but that also doesn't say that the pdi tech didn't just check it...if that's the case, the pdi tech is now on the hook. But ya gotta prove that.....

makes me wonder if the drain bolt wasn't wrecked by a forklift blade.....while in the crate....

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I got all those papers with my new RTV and none of them were filled out at all. But luckily my dealer did ok. Other than the front diff was a little low as seems to be the norm with Kubota.

I used to buy a lot of Polaris products but LAST one was when dealer charged $90 for a PDI and the clutches were out of alignment, the water pump housing was leaking bad and the heated grip switches were wired backwards.
Then they charged me a $54 deductible to use the warranty that Polaris Corporate thought was okay to do so at a week old. Needless to say, never bought another thing from that dealer, or Polaris.

I've learned to check everything over with a fine tooth comb when you get it home.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I never assume that just because the 30-40 boxes on a PDI sheet are all checked off with a pen that the actual work was done. Heck most of the time the tire pressure isn't even correct! When I get any new motorcycle, car, tractor, SxS I check it over pretty closely as soon as I get it home. I never checked drain plugs but I suppose I should.