Brand New 2021l2501 oil plug falls out

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m only attempting to get the OP to expand his thinking on this incase it begins to go south on him.

Why are you so much more on the side of a dealer you don’t know?
I only have going on 20 years in dealer life (auto side), have dealt with these cases many times. Deal with the manufacturer lawyers. This is not a case you want to fight as the OP. The dealer and Kubota are making it right. Push it beyond that and the tractor with a locked up engine gets dropped of in OPs driveway until they can prove what happened to the drain plug.

Nothing has went south with OP, besides being out his tractor for whatever time (which is valid argument, but it could turn much worse in THIS case)

Edit: as to the defending the dealer…there is a chance the engine replacement can lead to other issues due to workmanship. At that point yes you can blame the dealer and its on them. But you can’t just get a new tractor without manufacturer/dealer attempting to make it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
The dealer and or Kubota could replace the tractor for the customer so he can get back to work and brag about how well he was taken care of. The dealer keeps the tractor with the defective engine until the new engine arrives and replaced. And after confirming all's well the repaired tractor could be sold at some discount, with full warranty. Same cost to kubota.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The dealer and or Kubota could replace the tractor for the customer so he can get back to work and brag about how well he was taken care of. The dealer keeps the tractor with the defective engine until the new engine arrives and replaced. And after confirming all's well the repaired tractor could be sold at some discount, with full warranty. Same cost to kubota.
its not that simple

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Agreed.
If it is as already been suggested by at least two others (Hokie and tiger)….and I agree ……
it’s most likely a manufacturing AND a dealer defect. THAT is the BEST reason for both of them to put their best-foot-forward and supply the customer with a new tractor, repair the defective one on their own time/purse….and then resell it.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
it’s most likely a manufacturing AND a dealer defect.
How can it be both 🤔

Do you have evidence to support this claim 🤔

I do agree it is very unfortunate for the OP. But this getting on the internet and making claims like this WITHOUT any evidence is disgusting.

I deal with this everyday. I will share my favorite one with you (its not the exact situation as OP, but its relevant)

I had a customer that bought a brand new Super Duty. Brought the truck in multiple times for a suspected oil leak. The truck has no leaks any where, even brought the customer out to show him. Still persistent there is an oil leak. Proceeds to post all over the internet about how bad of a dealer we are, how incompetent me personally am at my job, and how Ford needs to do something about this. And does proceed to get Ford involved. They show up and we again show that the truck is NOT leaking anything, anywhere. About a month later the customer comes walking up to me in the shop, and shakes my hand and proceeds to apologize.

It was his wife’s day time boyfriends truck that was leaking and leaving oil spots in his driveway while he was at work.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
How can it be both 🤔

I do agree it is very unfortunate for the OP. But this getting on the internet and making claims like this WITHOUT any evidence is disgusting.

I deal with this everyday. I will share my favorite one with you (its not the exact situation as OP, but its relevant)

I had a customer that bought a brand new Super Duty. Brought the truck in multiple times for a suspected oil leak. The truck has no leaks any where, even brought the customer out to show him. Still persistent there is an oil leak. Proceeds to post all over the internet about how bad of a dealer we are, how incompetent me personally am at my job, and how Ford needs to do something about this. And does proceed to get Ford involved. They show up and we again show that the truck is NOT leaking anything, anywhere. About a month later the customer comes walking up to me in the shop, and shakes my hand and proceeds to apologize.

It was his wife’s day time boyfriends truck that was leaking and leaving oil spots in his driveway while he was at work.
Now that's funny. Is the boyfriend out of the hospital yet?

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
How can it be both 🤔

…………
Why do you keep trying to charge me with having to prove someone elses’ failure? Stop it.

Your example is of oranges distraction….in an apple discussion.

if Kubota factory shipped it with oil and failed to properly torque the plug…it’s the mfr’s failure.
If the dealer serviced it with oil it’s the dealers‘ failure.
Either way…the dealer represents the mfr’r and therefore it’s a problem for BOTH of them….and I don’t have to prove ANYTHING to you. The customer is who has a tractor with the problem and it’s the mfr’s representative…the dealer…. who should consult with the factory and ”support” their failed product.
….and I don’t have to “prove” my opinion.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I don't believe that a tractor is the same as an automobile when it comes to lemon law questions. I would have to know the state where the tractor was purchased to look up that state's lemon law. On this page (http://www.lemonlawcase.com/lemon-law-practice-overview/state-lemon-laws/) if you scroll down, you will find the laws of each of the 50 states lemon laws.
I would assume that the drain plug was installed into the oil pan by whoever manufactured the engine pan for Kubota, and most likely that was done on an assembly line by an automatic machine. The first thing that I would want to examine is the condition of the threads in the oil pan to see if they are damaged. I believe that the engine is painted as a complete assembly, and removing the oil pan plug will cause some paint damage to the surrounding area of the plug when it is removed. This would be the second place to look for in a forensic examination of what happened. Then I would go to where the tractor was stored and look for signs of oil leakage, and finally to where the tractor was being used, and search that area with a metal detector to find the plug.
If Kubota is offering to replace the engine, I would keep my mouth shut, accept the tractor back with the new engine, and go about my business using the tractor. There is nothing to be won by pissing off the dealer or Kubota, and most people wouldn't want to get into a legal battle over this because lawyers are expensive, and Kubota has more money to fight in court than the average person.

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Why do you keep trying to charge me with having to prove someone elses’ failure? Stop it.

if Kubota factory shipped it with oil and failed to properly torque the plug…it’s the mfr’s failure.
Either way…the dealer represents the mfr’r and therefore it’s a problem for BOTH of them….and I don’t have to prove ANYTHING to you. The customer is who has a tractor with the problem and it’s the mfr’s representative…the dealer…. who should consult with the factory and ”support” their failed product.
Lemon laws affect cars/trucks - NOT TRACTORS.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a brand new 2021 Kabota l2501 with less then 5 hours on it when moving a load of wood with my loader the oil pressure light came on engine cut off . Got off the tractor notice some oil leaking out and the bolt was missing . Kabota has since picked up the tractor and said the engine is locked and will require a brand new engine. The dealershit keeps asking me if I hit anything with the tractor or ran over a stump which I have not . Warranty covers the new engine but should I be Leary of replacement engine or possible other damage ? I feel like the tractor wasn’t properly inspected before being dished out . I waited 5 months to get this tractor and dealing with this 5 hours into operation has been nothing but a headache . Any advice or similar experience would be appreciated
I sure do hope that you got some good photos of that oil pan and it's missing bolt.
If you do not have pictures already, go to the dealer lot now, and get some (closeup) pictures of your oil pan.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
This thread is a little light in the proof category.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

According to the OP the dealer is doing exactly that. After some questioning they have accepted responsibility and are fixing it as a defect in workmanship. They are also likely arguing internally with Kubota about which pot the beans are going to come out of. If he has KTAC insurance on the machine it may even be a three party conference.

Ifs an unfortunate event and nobody is ever going to know for sure what happened to cause it. Inspector Clouseau has a long list of potential suspects.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think there’s sufficient reason for the dealer and Kubota to see a better pathway for all concerned to give the OP a different tractor and get on down the road.
That is the very most reasonable way to solve this issue, but I do not see any possibility of it happening.

As an example: I bought a new 50" TV from Best Buy (their house brand Insignia), and 17 days after purchase it failed.
I tried to return it for a new one but they refused.
They have a one year warranty, but claimed a 15 day return policy.

They sent a Geek squad truck with two guys on a 66 mile round trip to verify that the TV did not work ($219 TV).
Then they dissembled the TV on my living room floor, and removed the mother board.
Two weeks later the same truck returned, this time with 3 guys, and they put a new mother board in.
The TV worked. .......after, 132 miles of travel, and 12.5 total hr. labor wasted?

The TV worked, with the one year warranty to end on April 24th.
I left my seasonal residence for the Winter.
On May 1st, when I returned, the TV did not work again (warranty now up).

I put that TV in a heavy weight contractor trash bag, ......and happily drove my BH over it!
Ordered a new 50" TV on-line from Amazon!
Best Buy? ........NEVER AGAIN....... for ANYTHING !!!😬

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

You used to work at. Toyota dealer, correct? You (should) know this isn’t how it works. But you are here making assumptions without proof that this is a Kubota/dealer issue. And you aren’t the only one, but “knowing” you (mean that will all due respect) we can have this discussion.

There is a whole lot of info missing from the OP to be making assumptions. Planting seeds in OPs head that this is definitely a Kubota/dealer issue is dangerous and can make the situation way worse for OP. Who is to say a jealous brother in law didn’t come crack the drain plug loose a little and it eventually backed out while OP was working (I hope this isn’t the case, but Ive seen a lot of things in my time at the dealership).

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
You used to work at. Toyota dealer, correct? You (should) know this isn’t how it works. But you are here making assumptions without proof that this is a Kubota/dealer issue. And you aren’t the only one, but “knowing” you (mean that will all due respect) we can have this discussion.

There is a whole lot of info missing from the OP to be making assumptions. Planting seeds in OPs head that this is definitely a Kubota/dealer issue is dangerous and can make the situation way worse for OP. Who is to say a jealous brother in law didn’t come crack the drain plug loose a little and it eventually backed out while OP was working (I hope this isn’t the case, but Ive seen a lot of things in my time at the dealership).

I understand your point of view…and I agree… we’ve both seen deceptive customers try to pull a “fast one” on a warranty-claim. BUT… it’s disingenuous to leap to the conclusion that ALL warranty claims are fake…and it’s contrary to your and my personal honor to automatically believe that the OP (or ANY stranger for that matter) is automatically to be suspected of dishonesty.
The presumption we SHOULD make of others is that they are “innocent until proven guilty”… and especially-so in THIS case since the OP indicated it was not due to anything HE did.
We shouldn’t view every new meeting to be with a crook (disclaimer: politicians are always suspect.)
Right off=the-bat I notice the dealer searched for a way-out…. “asking me if I hit anything with the tractor or ran over a stump which I have not .” Sooo….. that doubting of the customer has already been displayed and answered.
Why would you leap to the assumption that the OP or his BIL would deliberately loosen a drainplug? What kind of crazy suspicious thinking is that? I know that EVERY new vehicle or machine I’ve EVER purchased….. I have NEVER checked the torque of the drainplug NOR have I tinkered with it in any way other than to look at the dipstick. Have you?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I understand your point of view…and I agree… we’ve both seen deceptive customers try to pull a “fast one” on a warranty-claim. BUT… it’s disingenuous to leap to the conclusion that ALL warranty claims are fake…and it’s contrary to your and my personal honor to automatically believe that the OP (or ANY stranger for that matter) is automatically to be suspected of dishonesty.
The presumption we SHOULD make of others is that they are “innocent until proven guilty”… and especially-so in THIS case since the OP indicated it was not due to anything HE did.
We shouldn’t view every new meeting to be with a crook (disclaimer: politicians are always suspect.)
Right off=the-bat I notice the dealer searched for a way-out…. “asking me if I hit anything with the tractor or ran over a stump which I have not .” Sooo….. that doubting of the customer has already been displayed and answered.
Why would you leap to the assumption that the OP or his BIL would deliberately loosen a drainplug? What kind of crazy suspicious thinking is that? I know that EVERY new vehicle or machine I’ve EVER purchased….. I have NEVER checked the torque of the drainplug NOR have I tinkered with it in any way other than to look at the dipstick. Have you?
I have never ever had a oil pan drain plug fall out either. Something very unusual happened here. Vandalism is a plausible explanation and cannot be ruled out.

Bottom line is the dealer has apparently decided to fix the tractor at no cost to the owner. They are not playing hardball and should be commended for their willingness to take responsibility.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I actually have witnessed a drain plug falling out. It had bee OVER-torqued at a ”Jiffy-Lube” operation and it was eventually proven the hired-help had actually used an impact wrench to re-install it…. spinning/stripping it. The vehicle died at the first intersection leaving the facility.
I just happened to know the owner (my next door neighbors wife) and saw her stranded at the intersection, recognized their car sitting in traffic and stopped to help.
The Jiffy-Lube wanted to claim the drainplug was already stripped previous to the service…but I pointed out to the manager if that had been the case…they would likely have offered to replace it with the ”stripped drainplug kit” they actually offer at their store.
It turned-out OK… the low oil light came on and she was smart enough to immediately turn the ignition off. They re-did the oil change and installed a new oil sump/pan. (But they kept the car 2 weeks to do it for insurance claim, parts, etc.)
Anyway… I guess it is good the Kubota dealer will swap out the engine…. I just think if it were myself in the situation as the OP …I’d worry about the quality of workmanship at a dealership which had already demonstrated questionable make-ready-work….and I’d at least make the request for a different new tractor.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
So I didn’t accuse anybody of doing anything…Im presenting another side to this. Most here are accusing Kubota/dealer for this situation.

Lets go back through this.

We have the OPs account of what happened (and its rather vague). Thats it…we haven’t seen any evidence on either side. We can presume the manufacturer and dealer are innocent until proven guilty as well.

I agree the dealer shouldn’t have asked that UNLESS maybe they had a reason. Maybe there is evidence of impact. WE DON’T KNOW, we haven’t seen it.

We also haven’t seen evidence that the manufacturer didn’t torque the drain plug or the dealer didn’t verify it was properly installed.

Im going to make a very dangerous ASSUMPTION. The plug was at least attached to the tractor from the time it was delivered to the dealer, dealer prepped, dealer delivered, and in the owners possession for roughly 5 hours. Can we agree???

What happened? We don’t know, we haven’t seen any evidence on either side. Thats the point I’m trying to make. Kubota and the dealer have stepped up and are making it right for the customer.

If either side wanted to take a legal route to this to get a brand new replacement tractor, it will need to be proven without a doubt that Kubota/dealer was at fault. If Kubota wanted to deny the claim, they would have to prove without a doubt that the customer is at fault.

If the customer has KTAC insurance on the tractor, they can just take the path of least resistance and just write it off as an insurance claim.

Too many things we don’t know here…

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Good Lord Kubota it's a new tractor with just 5 hours and the engine blew up, replace it! How would you feel if this happened to your new Ford F150 after just 50 miles and the dealer said "leave the truck here you're going to have to walk, but Ford's going to send a new Ecoboost engine, we don't know when but we'll call after our tech Bubba changes it"?