Box Blade Build

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
For a curved blade you could cut a section of steel pipe lengthwise.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
For a curved blade you could cut a section of steel pipe lengthwise.
I've been to several steel shops and the largest pipe I've seen is 4". Dorothy said there's no place like home.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you want curved think water heater! ;)
That still is not heavy enough steel for the cutting edge.

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
If you want curved think water heater! ;)
That still is not heavy enough steel for the cutting edge.
I'd have better luck finding a box blade! :cool: Water heaters here are the little wall mounted on-demand type.

Don't see why I can't have a straight blade with a removable cutting edge, that way I can pull or push with it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I guess I'm used to Arizona- scrap steel pipe is pretty common here, well casings & irrigation pipe & such.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I'd have better luck finding a box blade! :cool: Water heaters here are the little wall mounted on-demand type.

Don't see why I can't have a straight blade with a removable cutting edge, that way I can pull or push with it.
Go to the road dept and get a used cutting edge from a snow plow. :rolleyes::eek::p:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know somebody a while back posted some pic of his rear blade he modified to a box he added a couple brackets along each side of the blade and bolted side plates to them and a piece of was either square tubing or angle welded across the top to keep the sides from flexing,,, don't know it that helps or not

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
TC, maybe the fab shop could take two, or even three pieces of flat bar and lay them side by side with a slight curvature and weld them together. It wouldn't
be the same as a rolled piece of steel, but when you have no other choice that might be an option.:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
With your limited resources and wanting to spread gravel, maybe a 4'-5' piece of "I" beam laid flat with iron welded on top to attach your 3pt. Just find the biggest heaviest "I" beam you can.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Over here a box blade is a new concept so I'm trying to design one. I've found a couple of fab shops that can do it "if" they have plans. I've found some plans and pics but I'm not sure what size my tractor will handle. Ideally it would be about 4ft in width as that's about the wheel-width of my tractor. HELP!
Hi several years ago I built a angle blade for my Bx2660, it's 6ft wide. For the moleboard I found an old piece of 1/4"X10"X6' flat had a guy with a brake form a slight bend in it, then I scrounged a blade off an Olympia ice machine 84" cut it down and bolted it on. Check around and see if there's an ice arena in your area they discard them when they become too short but they still have lots of material on them for what you'll need. I know that finding this in your area is like looking for hens teeth but they are really dangerously sharp and seem to keep there edge. Good Luck with your build Barry

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Tom, can you get the cutting edge off the dozer blade you said was off a d9? If you can, that would give you two cutting edges for your blade.

Another option would be to have the cutting edges made out of standard steel. If they can't bend 1/2" you cand always go down to 3/8". Make sure it's sharpened and angled the way you need. With the holes drilled. Then give it to the black smith you mentioned in another post and have them temper and harden it. Or worst case, you can always build a big bon fire and harden it in a bon fire.

http://m.wikihow.com/Harden-Steel

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Ya know somebody a while back posted some pic of his rear blade he modified to a box he added a couple brackets along each side of the blade and bolted side plates to them and a piece of was either square tubing or angle welded across the top to keep the sides from flexing,,, don't know it that helps or not
Thanks skeet, I'm gathering all the info I can.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
My humble guess is that the side walls do not have to be metal. 2x6 lumber mounted onto a sufficiently beefy frame might well work. Not sure if the sides slice into the ground as part of the design or ride on top of the ground. If slice then most bottom of side can be a piece of flat 3-4" flat plate. If it only rides on top of ground then flat strap or even sheet metal to keep the bottom of the board from getting ground away might be smart.

Last edited:

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
a box blade is my next project when i finish paint the trailer and finish the water sprayer/tank from a pto pump. :D:D

so i think that the time for it, it will be after the summer time, :eek: but i can give you some directions of how to find a cheap blade with the right material.

at least in my country they change the blades from the Graders when they getting old.
and it happens to know some people that operate Graders.
they will give me the old blades.
so think if you can find some old Grader blade at your country.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You're kidding, right?
Actually, he's not. My father got 2 used edges from the County Road crews, they just scrap them anyway.

You grind down the edge to workable again and they work great on our lighter duty units and they have a LOOOOONG work life. They are almost double the thickness of the edges we get on our gear.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
People more coffee in the morning!!!!

Thailand... :)
Snow Plow... :rolleyes:

Yes It's a Joke! ;)