Bonehead move...

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I usually place my little gas cap protector on my floor while filling up, but today I set it on the inside of my gas cap because everything was so dusty. I filled up like usual and, you guessed it, I forgot to take that little piece off. It went straight into my gas tank. My thoughts are to lean the L3560 tractor up (left rear wheel up) after siphoning as much as possible where I can fish the piece out of the bottom with some tongs. Anybody have any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I hope your gas tank is better shaped than on a bx......I think you could lose a small animal in a bx tank!!!! Got luck and tell us how you got it out!:)

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Thanks Hokie! I figure I'll tilt it a bit and siphon as much out - but not empty - as possible. The good news is the tractor hasn't moved and won't until I go at it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It's a long way down that tube! Know any gastroenterologists? Sorry it is not funny. A guy that worked for me did the same thing to my Gater, and that piece rode around in there for a year or so before I could have the dealer take it apart and get it. The good news is whatever they make the plastic lids out of , it doesn't seem to be soluble in diesel or gas. Could you see it? Does it float on diesel or sink?

If you could get a piece of plastic tubing with which you could pull a good suction on it, you might be able to get it up that long fill tube with that. It would probably be like those awful carnival games, an exercise in frustration.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
THAT is a good idea there!!!

should work. have used these before. Available at most any autoparts store if Im not mistaken

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
SOLVED!

The cap actually moved beyond what the light could see but I was prepared Bc I studied the gas tank on the Messick's "blueprints" and had a general idea where it may have gone. It was not in sight upon looking SO I grabbed my 29 dollar wireless endoscope/borescope from Amazon, and tied it to the 5 dollar pickup tool. Snaked the scope in and with some work and luck, found the cap and grabbed hold!!!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
genius use of your friend Boris Cope

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
D2, I learned that slow and steady AFTER the work applies too; I was finished with a long day and filling up was my "last" chore. There's little room for slop on a tractor; nor is there before and after. I also learned that problems can be solved when I ask for help. Of course I kinda had that one down for a bit. I'm not afraid to ask for help!!!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Pulled a fuel rail off a 2000 malibu. Theres o-rings and a cap to retain them. All 6 caps fell off and a couple o rings fell in the intake and into cylinder heads anove the valves. I used borescope and shop vac and 3/8" clear line to carefully ectract slipped bits. Was not a good day,the car wasnt worth repairing and the time and parts to pull intake would put job beyond any sensible limit. The claw didnt work, i have a couple of them too.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Where did you get that? Thank you!

Maclean and I both had them made a while back, both of us did it with the same company without knowing the other was doing it!:D:) - the cost is rather high all things considered - about $75+ - but keeps out all the "bad" stuff ! Does not keep out water however, and the micron rating for that is ....well crazy! I still use my Mr. funnel with the teflon filter to keep water and smaaallll stuff out!

company is in Utah - good folks to work with!

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php

Email them and ask for Graydon, he'll set you right up! He has all the measurements for the BX series!:p

Attachments

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
This is why I put a 100 micron filter on my BX...
That will definitely keep gas cap protectors out of the tank! :)

All kidding aside, this thread just cost me some money for one of those cool borescope thingies!

-- Carl

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
That will definitely keep gas cap protectors out of the tank! :)

All kidding aside, this thread just cost me some money for one of those cool borescope thingies!

-- Carl

I have three buddies who went and ordered borescopes after this. Every once in awhile my old brain still stays creative!!! Thanks also for the filter link Hokie!