Block vs Oil Pan Heater

fikey

Aug 12, 2017
Naples, Idaho
Last year I was caught a little off guard when our temperature dropped to -20 and had a time getting my L5030 HST started. I vowed to correct that before this winter. It seems there are mixed reviews on which is better, a block heater or an oil pan heater. Certainly the pan heater is less invasive and easier, but is it better or just as good?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Last year I was caught a little off guard when our temperature dropped to -20 and had a time getting my L5030 HST started. I vowed to correct that before this winter. It seems there are mixed reviews on which is better, a block heater or an oil pan heater. Certainly the pan heater is less invasive and easier, but is it better or just as good?
Many moons ago I lived in MN.
I will cast my vote for an engine coolant heater.
My personal preference is Florida......and that is how I will address the issue,..... beginning next week.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Block/ coolant heater. Especially if it is stored outdoors. If it's in a garage or enclosed building, a pan heater may do just fine. I will say, there is a reason that coolant heaters are the factory option for diesels. The heaters are not meant to heat the oil. They heat the cylinders to aid in getting the fuel to ignite.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Seems to me that an oil pan heater would be great for heating the oil...but with the diesel the block heater would likely put more heat where it would aid starting, at the cylinders and towards the top of the engine.

Block heater wins hands down.

But if in doubt, do both. Can't hurt in my view...

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Block/ coolant heater. Especially if it is stored outdoors. If it's in a garage or enclosed building, a pan heater may do just fine. I will say, there is a reason that coolant heaters are the factory option for diesels. The heaters are not meant to heat the oil. They heat the cylinders to aid in getting the fuel to ignite.
I have to agree. I recently bought a block heater for the LMTV M1078 but have yet to install it. You're going to get more convection with a block heater too vs. an oil pan heater.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have to agree. I recently bought a block heater for the LMTV M1078 but have yet to install it. You're going to get more convection with a block heater too vs. an oil pan heater.
Yessir. Really big diesels...like 12 cyl for power generation....have coolant heaters that get hot enough to open the thermostat. That cycles coolant through the entire system. Essentially keeping the unit at operating temp. Our little ones won't do that, but definitely spread the heat through conduction.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
3rd option.. inline, lower rad hose heater....

also, install a battery warming blanket. A warm battery WILL spin the engine, k-k-k-k-cold battery won't

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
from the land of getting many weeks of -30 and having to start diesels every day the block heater / coolant heater hands down is much more efficient.

Stick on oil pan heaters (magnetic/glued/taped) do help but much many times less efficient. Have to use them for longer periods of time to get adequate support, need to block wind/tarp equipment, have to add more wattage than block heaters, etc... Yes they are good, yes they help, but many times less efficient.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
3rd option.. inline, lower rad hose heater....

also, install a battery warming blanket. A warm battery WILL spin the engine, k-k-k-k-cold battery won't
"inline, lower rad hose heater"
Pretty much the same as "coolant heater" to me.
It purpose is to heat the coolant!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, two type of 'coolant ' heaters I know of
1) block type, mounts in a 'frost plug'.....
2) lower rad hose, mounts in ,um, the lower rad hose

Oil heaters
1) magnetic ,stick to oil pan
2) dip stick,hmm, replaces dipstick

I've also seen guys use IR lamps ( chicken coop heaters...)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Lets look at it this way - heating the oil, is like having hot shoes on when cold, not bad but.....

Having a heated coat or vest on is going to do a lot more for the body.

ANY type of coolant heater is going to be a hellva lot better than heating the oil!!!! IF you had a way to pump the oil through the system WITHOUT cutting the tractor on - then you would have something.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Greetings for 10min south of you.
I'm Elmira area.;)

Block heater all the way, I have 6 Kubota engines here and they all have block heaters and I use several for winter operations and they never let me down.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Heating the oil pan has virture- it allows the engine to spin more freely because the oil isn't as thick (effectiveness depending on what oil you're running) . It's an additional measure, but heating the block is the primary goal. A warmed block means that combustion will happen more easily.
I've used a magnetic heater, and it did very little to aid in starting/combustion. I have a coolant heater on my JD 310 backhoe, and it does wonders.

Last edited:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Lets look at it this way - heating the oil, is like having hot shoes on when cold, not bad but.....

Having a heated coat or vest on is going to do a lot more for the body.

ANY type of coolant heater is going to be a hellva lot better than heating the oil!!!! IF you had a way to pump the oil through the system WITHOUT cutting the tractor on - then you would have something.
I like your analogy but since the coat of oil is about .001" thick, the warm shoes would instantly cool off if they too were .001" thick. How anyone can think that pushing an extremely thin coat of warm oil between many pounds of extremely cold cast iron, aluminum and steel will do much because that metal will instantly cool the oil to the temperature of the surrounding metal.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Coolant heater is more effective.

Nothing wrong with both.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pan heater puts out about 300 watts. You can get a block heater that uses 1200-1500 watts. One heats much better than the other!!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I’ve had 2 (failed) block heaters. I tried to swap it out with a new one but could not, for the life of me, get the old (dealer installed) one out. Returned the block heater for a refund and bought the oil pan heater. Just hooked it up last week along with a battery heater. We’ll see how it wants to start first snowstorm. Block heater is superior but I have to take what I can get or pay the piper and get raped.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Oil heaters don't really help with engine starting. They save wear and tear once its running as the oil will be thinner and help warm critical wear points. However, because it is just sitting in the pan and not circulating unless the engine is running it doesn't do much.

Coolant heaters on the other hand do help with engine starting. That is because the coolant isn't just sitting in a pan it is "floating" in the system. Therefore a coolant heater isn't just heating the coolant but also the block itself and cylinders. Diesels use heat for combustion. Not the glowplugs which just aid in cold starting and cease function once the engine is running. So heating the cylinders then makes combustion easier at those cold temperatures. Of course it also means faster heat from hvac in cab tractors.

Battery warmers also ease in engine starting but in a different way. Batteries naturally lose potency in cold weather causing the engine to turn over slower. Warming the battery just gives it the ability to use all of its potential and crank the engine faster.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A block heater will aid start-up…but what harm comes from a running engine starving for lubricant that can’t be pumped because it’s turned to cold grease..??

I suggest BOTH….if you can’t keep the equipment in a heated bldg.