Block Heater

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
B2650 with dealer installed block heater. Can you leave the block heater plugged in during cold weather? My remote went out, coldest week of the year of course, and I won't be able to replace it this week. Got it started yesterday, hard start even though it was parked in unheated barn, negative temps all day.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When you say plugged in .......... you mean like for hours or days?
When you say remote...... like a RF outlet remote - push a button and the receptacle turns on?

To answer you question - it would be best to have at least an HOUR of preheat - more than that will not hurt anything, but will reduce the elements life span. Heard a lot of stories that those heater are not lasting more than a couple of seasons.

You could get a mechanical timer too - you plug it in the night before you want to use, it kicks on for an hour or so and then kicks off - ready for the next day!

I would buy another remote and one of those WATT-O-METERS ...... if the element goes, it will show zero amp draw..... and those meters are nice to have to check amp and voltages too.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I've always been told not to leave it plugged in for more than 2 hours at a time.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Thanks, remote was good but line of sight may be compromised also so a mechanical timer may be an option. A guy told me he kept his plugged in all winter but that just did not sound right to me, even if you don't care about your electric bill.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
"When you say plugged in .......... you mean like for hours or days?
When you say remote...... like a RF outlet remote - push a button and the receptacle turns on?"
Days and yes on the RF.

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
I have mine on a timer for the coldest week of the year (now). Turns on at 8am, and stays on for 2-3 hours. Chances are if I need to use it, it’ll be in the morning.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
"When you say plugged in .......... you mean like for hours or days?
When you say remote...... like a RF outlet remote - push a button and the receptacle turns on?"
Days and yes on the RF.
The question of running the block heater is just a simple physics one.

The block heater cannot heat the engine to operating temperature as the heat loss from the block will equal the heat input from the heater. The colder it is outside, the lower the block temperature will be when heat input equals heat loss.

The heater does not mind running continuously, it is the on and off cycles which eventually end its life after many years. The heater is not equipped with an over temperature safety switch or a thermostat so when turned on it stays on. The on and off cycles I refer to are just the daily use ones.

Most block heaters are in the 400 watt range. If your cost for electricity is 20 cents per KWH your block heater is costing you 8 cents for each hour of operation.

The thought that don't leave it plugged in for more than 2 hours is because after about two hours the engine has warmed up as much as it can and longer use just wastes energy. It has nothing to do with the heater longevity.

Dave

Reactions: 5 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I've always been told not to leave it plugged in for more than 2 hours at a time.
I can't understand there reasoning behind having to unplug a block heater from your tractor after 2 hours. Unless the frost-plug style block heaters are so powerful that they'll overheat the coolant? I doubt it! Any clue why you've always been told that? Mine is often plugged in overnight and longer! If there's something wrong with that, I'd like to know! Other than a bit of an electricity waste.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I can't understand there reasoning behind having to unplug a block heater from your tractor after 2 hours. Unless the frost-plug style block heaters are so powerful that they'll overheat the coolant? I doubt it! Any clue why you've always been told that? Mine is often plugged in overnight and longer! If there's something wrong with that, I'd like to know! Other than a bit of an electricity waste.

Again - nothing wrong with it...... if it is the best alternative - then go for it!!! If the shed is 100 yards away - and getting dressed and tipping out there at 5 am to plug it in to use at 7 am ...... I would say the hell with that too!!!! I would plug it in at night at let her rip!!!!

But a simple analog timer can fix all of the above easily!!! The only problem you have left is to REMIND yourself to plug it in and UNPLUG it before leaving the shed!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVEMD7...fwT2&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi2d_asin_0_title

I had a battery maintainer that I left plugged in ......as the boat came out of the slip ..... stupid is as stupid does! :oops:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Block heaters have thermostats in them, so they heat up to a temp and then self shut off.
Every installed block heater has a different life span due to the way the element can heat the coolant / water, and many other factors.
Kubota engines are hard on heating elements because the tend not to get enough coolant / water around the element so heat dissipation and boiling occurs, when they boil off they tend to cause the element to spike in heat because the thermostat in the case of the block heater doesn't read the heat being too high.

A good setup can run 24/7 without issue but it's like anything, the more you run it the less time it will last.
And yes they can eat quite a bit of juice especially when outside temps reach -19 like it says you'll get.

My main question is are you going to use the tractor when it's that cold out?
I don't see any snow in your forecast, so a better bet is let it chill down and take a nap till this cold streak pops on past.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Again - nothing wrong with it...... if it is the best alternative - then go for it!!! If the shed is 100 yards away - and getting dressed and tipping out there at 5 am to plug it in to use at 7 am ...... I would say the hell with that too!!!! I would plug it in at night at let her rip!!!!

But a simple analog timer can fix all of the above easily!!! The only problem you have left is to REMIND yourself to plug it in and UNPLUG it before leaving the shed!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVEMD7...fwT2&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi2d_asin_0_title

I had a battery maintainer that I left plugged in ......as the boat came out of the slip ..... stupid is as stupid does! :oops:
I was actually more interested in why je1279 was advised against leaving his tractor block heater plugged in.
I actually do have a mechanical timer for block heaters, just haven't needed it lately as I'm not trying to leave early for work anymore I just plug in a few hours ahead of when it's needed here.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I did some research based on the responses above and what Dave_eng said seems to be the most likely reason. Beyond two hours, the tractor will not get any warmer and you are just paying to maintain that temperature. I guess it's up to the owner on whether to only plug it in a couple hours before you plan to use it or keep it plugged in so it's ready whenever.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My experience is with outdoor permanent emergency generators. You never know when they are going to be required to start and they have to go to full rpm's in a few seconds so no warm up. In the days before synthetic 0w oils the heater stayed on year round.

Now a device like a thermo cube turns the heater on a lower outdoor temps. cost less than $30

Thermocube

Dave

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
And yes they can eat quite a bit of juice especially when outside temps reach -19 like it says you'll get.

My main question is are you going to use the tractor when it's that cold out?
I don't see any snow in your forecast, so a better bet is let it chill down and take a nap till this cold streak pops on past.
I'm guessing you mean that they eat quite a bit of juice because the block heater will be needed to be plugged in for longer because of the lower temps? Not because they draw more current the lower the temperature.
And I was out blowing snow yesterday in -15F and strong winds. Took a while to warm the machine, obviously, but it ran great otherwise.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My experience is with outdoor permanent emergency generators. You never know when they are going to be required to start and they have to go to full rpm's in a few seconds so no warm up. In the days before synthetic 0w oils the heater stayed on year round.

Now a device like a thermo cube turns the heater on a lower outdoor temps. cost less than $30

Thermocube

Dave

Used them when I had chickens - kept the water from freezing - work great!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Where does the Barn get its power from?

Mine is fed from the house, so I plug the heater in and trip the feed breaker, and re-close the breaker when I want to heat the engine.

Might not work for you though.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Above zero today so had a chance to go through the system, a little cr2032 battery in the handheld transmitter. So the issue was in my hand the whole time. The light came on but the signal must have been weak, wouldn't even turn it on when next to it. Changed battery, presto, good as new.
Learned a lot from this thread though.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Where does the Barn get its power from?

Mine is fed from the house, so I plug the heater in and trip the feed breaker, and re-close the breaker when I want to heat the engine.

Might not work for you though.
No, too many things on that circuit.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I think the thermocube turns on at 35 deg. If so, the heater would be on for a long time!
Looks like there are different models, TC-1 turns on at 0 and off at 10 so that would be good for tractors. Only time mine is hard to start is below zero.