Black stuff in fuel filter

SouthernSky

Equipment
L3200 & L2650, 5' Modern cutter, 5' boxblade, LP FDR1672 mower
Sep 15, 2017
Deville, LA
I believe there is something in my tank. It looks like a pieces of black film. I think it is in the tank because when I disconnect the hose where it enters the fuel filter, it trickles. But when I blow air up the hose it temporarily clears and I get a normal gravity-fed fuel flow. I’ve filled up two new filters thinking it was already cleared out.

Any idea what it could be and the best way to clean out the tank, preferably without full disassembly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Re: Black crap in fuel filter

Probably algae or other biological. Use a biocide to kill it. You will need to flush and get the dead bodies out. Then keep using a biocide to prevent it from coming back.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Is the fuel tank plastic or metal?

If metal it may be rusted inside the tank and clogging up the lines.

If plastic then algae is most likely.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL

The tank is plastic. I had the same problem and biocide took care of it.

Now I automatically put 1/4 oz in each tank full. Haven't had a problem since.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep algae in the tank, if it's too bad you will have to remove the tank and have it flushed out, but first try algaecide / biocide treatment, drain all you can out of the tank first then refill tank with new fuel and treatment. ;)

SouthernSky

Equipment
Sep 15, 2017
Deville, LA
Wow. Never thought of algae. How does it get in there? It’s a plastic tank.

Any recommendations on a biocide? I’ve never mixed anything with diesel before (except gas ...)

blperk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200, FEL, Betstco 63" flail mower, B2782b front snowblower
Dec 25, 2018
Canandaigua, NY
I had what sounds like the same problem with my B3200. I blamed it on the possibility of water in the fuel. I have to buy from my local gas station rather than a truck stop, because there's no truck stop within an hour of me. I tried to stir up the fuel in the tank by siphoning out and back into the tank just to try to suspend some of the black stuff. Then I siphoned out of the tank and filtered it into a fuel container. Next I filtered this fuel back into the tank. I started using an algicide called BioKleen from Power Service, and that appears to have solved the problem. I also add Power Service Clear Diesel, which I was told will suspend any algae in the tank. So far it has worked well, and I haven't had to change a fuel filter in quite some time.

SouthernSky

Equipment
Sep 15, 2017
Deville, LA
I just checked Google and Biokleen from Power Service is $134 per gallon. That seems a bit steep. I guess I could just keep flushing it and filtering it but I worry about the stuff under the cap and upper sides flushing might not get.

Thanks for the reply!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Keep in mind the biology of these organisms if you are trying to get rid of them by filtering.
1. They need water, air, and diesel to eat to survive.
2. A single cell can divide to form a new colony. A single cell might be about 5 microns, so a lot of filters would let single cells pass through, and only remove clumps. They are kind of like metastatic cancer cells.

So your tractor injectors might be able to handle a single cell or two, but if they find a nice habitat on the way they may set up housekeeping and form a new colony. Places where they can find water include the water separator, the fuel filter, and the fuel tank.

So if you are going to return filtered fuel to the tank, make sure you've killed all those invisible single cells with biocide first. Or just use that fuel on the burn pile :D

I am not sure how big of a clump of cells the Clear Diesel can break up. If anyone has a clump of the goo, could they please do an experiment and put them in a clear glass container with diesel and the recommended concentration of Clear Diesel and see what happens? I'm curious....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Keep in mind the biology of these organisms if you are trying to get rid of them by filtering.
1. They need water, air, and diesel to eat to survive.
2. A single cell can divide to form a new colony. A single cell might be about 5 microns, so a lot of filters would let single cells pass through, and only remove clumps. They are kind of like metastatic cancer cells.

So your tractor injectors might be able to handle a single cell or two, but if they find a nice habitat on the way they may set up housekeeping and form a new colony. Places where they can find water include the water separator, the fuel filter, and the fuel tank.

So if you are going to return filtered fuel to the tank, make sure you've killed all those invisible single cells with biocide first. Or just use that fuel on the burn pile :D

I am not sure how big of a clump of cells the Clear Diesel can break up. If anyone has a clump of the goo, could they please do an experiment and put them in a clear glass container with diesel and the recommended concentration of Clear Diesel and see what happens? I'm curious....
It cost me over 1000 bucks to rid my pickup of it and I did all the work myself. I never use B20 anymore. Bio-Diesel is the worst offender of growing slime and I pre treat every tank now in the tractors and pickup. The fuel additive I use has biocide in it.

SouthernSky

Equipment
Sep 15, 2017
Deville, LA
I found a quart of Biokleen for $30 at OReilly. So I’ve already drained my tank. What would be the best way to flush this L3200 tank and to use the biocide. I don’t need to re-use the old mix as I only had a gallon left in the tank.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I used BioKleen on my pickup after I dropped the fuel tanks and cleaned them, replaced the fuel pickup and sending unit plus the lift pump and fuel bowl. It's nasty stuff. I use BioKleen in my 1000 gallon bulk tank every fill. Algae is nasty stuff anyway you cut it.

SouthernSky

Equipment
Sep 15, 2017
Deville, LA
Having never run into a contaminated tank in my 25 years with my Kubota tractors, algae and cleaning the tank is a new world for me.

The tank is drained of the old fuel. I’m just wondering if I should put Biokleen directly into the tank and let it set, then drain it again and reconnect the fuel line at the filter. I really don’t know any other way to flush the tank so I’m welcoming any ideas!

I’m just fearing that if I put new diesel in with an ounce of Biokleen whether that will break up anything still in the tank.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Can you open the drain on the tank at the bottom of the tank or a hose going to the fuel filter?

I'd suggest replacing that hose with a longer one so you can let it drain into a suitable clear clean container. Put some diesel in a pump up sprayer and douse the inside of the tank in all directions possible. (It would be nice to have a swivel nozzle on the pump.) Catch all the fuel you spray in the tank. Then check to see what came out. Based on what you find, repeat a couple of times. When nothing loose is found, add the algaecide, new fuel and use it. Install a new fuel filter also, and have an extra one on hand.

SouthernSky

Equipment
Sep 15, 2017
Deville, LA
I believe I can spray the inside with diesel. I hadn’t thought of that. Let me give it a whirl. Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey, you're welcome! I'm setting here watching it snow, and it's been up to 70deg earlier this week. So what's there to do but hang out on OTT. Too muddy and wet!!:D

SouthernSky

Equipment
Sep 15, 2017
Deville, LA
I did as you suggested using a clean pesticide sprayer. I believe I was able to coat the walls well enough. I then drained it again and blew tons of air through it and nothing more is coming out.

I refilled it with a new tank of fuel to the cap and 2 oz of Biokleen. Possibly more than needed, but it has been running clean for the last 20 minutes with no black crap.

Thank you everyone! You’re all my hero today because I learned something new. I do appreciate it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just keep treating it from now on and you'll avoid issues in the future. ;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hey, you're welcome! I'm setting here watching it snow, and it's been up to 70deg earlier this week. So what's there to do but hang out on OTT. Too muddy and wet!!:D
You can keep that crap. Supposed to get an inch here this evening. Yuk. Lot of rain last night, fields are flooded. We have mud too.