BioDiesel ?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Kubota don't recommend strait bio, I imagine to cover their a$$. I'd like to hear from folks who do use it though, I can't see it being a problem myself. It's hard the buy biodiesel in Alberta or I'd try it in my Kubota's.
ED

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
You will be fine running it, however some older models may have seals that will break down with the bio. It will also really clean out your fuel system and you may have to change your fuel filter after running it. Any diesel will run the bio. Heck you can dump straight clean vegetable oil into the fuel tank and it will run just fine. Won't have quite as much power as the dino juice though. Just remember, the original diesel motor was designed to run on peanut oil.

I still haven't figured out why manufacturers don't recommend bio. I think it is a CYA (Cover Your A$$) thing that the lawyers make them say. There is ZERO research that will tell you the bio stuff is bad for your motor. It's probably better at lubricating your motor than the ULSD that they sell us at the pumps anyways.

northern hunter

Equipment
b7100hst-d
Mar 2, 2011
Becker, Mn
Just remember that biodiesel has less BTU's ! So higher the percent bio in your fuel the less power you will have! But about 5% will help to lube the fuel system to make up for the loss of sulfur they take out. If you have not run any amount bio yet get a couple extra fuel filters! Bio will clean the crap out of the fuel system. But..... when it cleans it break's gunk loose not break it down and that is why it plugs filter!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And every body I know that runs it say they get really hungry from smelling fenchfrys all day long:rolleyes:

Jfay

Oct 12, 2010
Northeast MA
I have been running my L3300 on biodiesel for two years with no problems. I started with a 50/50 blend and now am using 80% bio. I go back yo regular diesel in the cold weather. I have had no problem with the fuel filter.
;)

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I still haven't figured out why manufacturers don't recommend bio. I think it is a CYA (Cover Your A$$) thing that the lawyers make them say. There is ZERO research that will tell you the bio stuff is bad for your motor. It's probably better at lubricating your motor than the ULSD that they sell us at the pumps anyways.

No one wants to die on a cross against the Govt. The Bio junk is purely political and EPA and wacko tree hugger stuff. As was mentioned, it has less BTU's therefore less power. The higher BTU's of diesel is the only reason it is a better fuel than the popular gasoline with it's high volatility. More BTU's make more heat which is more energy resulting in more power. That will never change!

Cleanliness and micron filtration is a big issue with manufacturers too but they need to stay off the radar screen so they only speak when warranty is involved. ;)

I thought I would never own a diesel truck because it is smelly and all the other negatives that could be mentioned but it does make more power and for that I love my Kubota and my Duramax! :D :D :D

I will not intentionally put dillutants in my diesel fuel. Uncle Sam and Brazil can keep all their bio junk.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
Biodiesel is less than 10% off of dino diesel in BTUs and its still higher than gas. Compare that to ethanol which is about half the energy content of dino gas.
Its not an EPA or a tree hugger thing, its a chemistry and money thing. Bio can be produced far cheaper than dino. The other benefits it has are purely secondary to the fact that it can be made cheap from many waste streams, it has a decent energy content compared to its dino brother, and it will run in any diesel without any modifications.
The problems from bio aren't from the bio, its from storage and age issues. It does not store as well as dino.
Why do we have ethanol and not a push to biodiesel? Cause bio doesn't have a lobby in congress. ethanol on the other hand gets the corn lobby behind it, the largest subsidy in the us budget by the way. where there's big money there's a big lobby, even if it doesn't make fiscal sense.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
I've been running bio in my 2 1985 Kubotas for a while because that's all I can find in my neighborhood. Selling my L2250 now and I'm looking at the B2650.
The tech at my dealer recommended that I run straight straight diesel to avoid running/ warranty issues. Only one marathon station 45 mins away that I can get it. FS sells it but you need an ag acct.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Guy I know ran bio for several years. He's since had to replace injector pumps and injectors in all his diesels. He blames the fuel, I don't know. In his case over 10K in repair bills gets my attention though.

VRSW

Equipment
B2400
Sep 21, 2016
Anita
A bit off topic.....but what is the difference between ag diesel and the standard diesel I run in my Ford F350? Does it matter whether I use ag diesel or "road-legal" diesel in my Kubota?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
A bit off topic.....but what is the difference between ag diesel and the standard diesel I run in my Ford F350?
Taxes. Around here they add a dye to the off-road stuff to indicate it was taxed at the lower rate.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
Only difference in "Ag" diesel and over the road (OTR) diesel is the taxes applied to it at the pump. It comes from the same refineries in the same trucks. When it goes in a tank that is for off highway use, it gets a red dye poured in it. The difference to you is that if you run dyed diesel in your truck is a huge fine for tax evasion. Evidence of red diesel can be found for thousands of miles after you've switched back to OTR.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
VSRW you DO NOT WANT TO GET CAUGHT WITH DYED FUEL so dont run it in your truck,, same fuel, no road tax,,,,, and you know how they government gets when they dont get their pound of flesh

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When I lived in King County, WA; we were forced to use B20 by the county EPA. That B20 used to clog up my fuel filters in my Duramax so badly that the truck went into limp mode from loss of power. This happened about once every 2 - 3 months or so. It got so bad that I started buying the fuel filters by the case from fleetfilter.com. I moved away from that county about 3.5 years ago and where I live now, we don't have any biodiesel. It is all straight D2 petroleum. I have had to change a fuel filter in the truck only once since moving out of King County. That is real world proof enough for me that biodiesel is crap.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Bio is a better solvent so that's the reason for clogged filter(s). King County wasn't making you run B20, just what could be sold there. Yes, some older motors, seals, etc. don't like bio. In other words newer Bota's shouldn't have any problem with B20.

Small gas engines running E85 is a different story. I switched to marine or non-E gas awhile ago for those motors.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
When I worked a municipal garage/facility (central FL) we had to buy B20 because the politicians running the place want to tout how "green" we were.

We had all sorts of diesels: John Deere, Massey, Cat, Kubota, Ford, International, Chevy, Torro, Gillig, etc. - tractors, mowers, construction equip, over-the-road trucks, Buses, etc. ranging in age from new to probably 15 years old, and we never had any problems with the Bio.

We added an algaecide to our "above ground" diesel tanks, every fourth or fifth refill (but we went though about 2,000 gallons a day so the fuel never sat in the tank for long.

I would have no problem running Bio in my own pickup (if it had a diesel).

- Just another opinion.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
When I lived in King County, WA; we were forced to use B20 by the county EPA. That B20 used to clog up my fuel filters ...once every 2 - 3 months or so. .. moved away from that county about 3.5 years ago and where I live now, we don't have any biodiesel. It is all straight D2 petroleum. I have had to change a fuel filter in the truck only once since moving out of King County. That is real world proof enough for me that biodiesel is crap.
Bio D has a lower Gel point than diesel also. So cold weather will make it gell sooner than diesel would have.

Bet you much further south and you would have no problems at all.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Bet you much further south and you would have no problems at all.
You are right, that is a big part of the problem. However, the biggest part of the problem is government officials that has the power to force changes that are not really appropriate in all circumstances.

In the interest of giving a little clarity on this issue to those that may not be familiar with the subject of biodiesel vs straight D2, here is a short summary of the issue from the website link below. First the link to the website then the excerpt of the point of interest.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/26611/biodiesel-cloud-point-and-cold-weather-issues

The cloud point of soybean biodiesel is about 34°F (1°C), whereas the cloud point for No. 1 diesel is about - 40°F (-40°C) and for No. 2 diesel between -18°F (-28°C) and +20°F (-7°C). Usually, when biodiesel nears the cloud point temperature, changes must be made to the fuel, such as the addition of anti-gel additives or No. 1 diesel fuel, to prevent filters from clogging. However, it should be kept in mind that fuel additives recommended for diesel may not be effective for biodiesel. For more information about anti-gel additives and biodiesel, see Impact of additives on cold flow properties of biodiesel