Bill to end livestock "abuse".........

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Personally I don’t really care much. But I always thought that part of education in the grade 1 through grade 12 level, should include killing an animal for food consumption.

I like my my steak and potatoes (and sushi too) as much as anyone.

But getting older I sometimes wonder if I would enjoy what I am eating as much if I had taken the life with my own hands.

I remember my wife (who is Japanese) mentioning once that kids on farms in the northern area of Japan often feel sad when cows are harvested.

But at dinnertime the first question is “ where is my meat!” LOL

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I remember my wife (who is Japanese) mentioning once that kids on farms in the northern area of Japan often feel sad when cows are harvested.

Don't name the food, they are not pets they are food.

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
"Brisket", "Ribeye", "Ground Beef" seem to work...
Had a bottle baby, somehow she ended up being called Lambchop...some folks seemed to think it was mean, explained it was after Sherri Lewis and the hand puppet. She was in the flock for a long time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Had a calf at was shot in the hip and the bullet went towards her butt. Calf was about 200/225 # when I saw it laying in the field by itself and very lethargic. I didn't know it had been shot at that time, just not feeling good. I gave her some medicine and let her out the the others. A couple of weeks went by and then notice a huge (grapefruit size) open sore.

Some daily doctoring and flushing with cold water and getting the dead flesh out of the wound saved the calf. My SIL was cutting out some of the dead flesh and my wife was right there beside her sister and at one point one of them said, "Holy Cow!" And that became her name. Still have her.

She earned her name!

Attachments

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Had a calf at was shot in the hip and the bullet went towards her butt. Calf was about 200/225 # when I saw it laying in the field by itself and very lethargic. I didn't know it had been shot at that time, just not feeling good. I gave her some medicine and let her out the the others. A couple of weeks went by and then notice a huge (grapefruit size) open sore.

Some daily doctoring and flushing with cold water and getting the dead flesh out of the wound saved the calf. My SIL was cutting out some of the dead flesh and my wife was right there beside her sister and at one point one of them said, "Holy Cow!" And that became her name. Still have her.

She earned her name!
More sick people in the world. WHY would anyone shoot a calf??

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
More sick people in the world. WHY would anyone shoot a calf??
I dunno, the same kind of sick people that shot one of my white fluffy sheep less than 50 yards from my house, and a couple of horses in a pasture near their run in shed. Couldn’t have been a mistake. Some of you may have noted my lack of enthusiasm for guns in the hands of fruit loops.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Back when the grand kids were living with us, a local farmer, and called and wanted to know if I wanted a couple calf's. He said that he had more than he could do with, this was when beef was way low. Everybody was over the moon and the grand kids had names all picked out. My wife said we could use them for meat. I said no way! And just why is that she said with that LOOK, you guys kow the look.
I explained that once they got here, they have to be feed watered and taken care of, and I didnt want to do that, And what ever named bovine was going to go to the knackers, there would be hell to pay around the place, And I didnt want any of them dieing of old age around here!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
a proposed bill

it should be astonishing that it is even proposed.

i mean how stupid can people really be? And we (you?) elected them?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I dunno, the same kind of sick people that shot one of my white fluffy sheep less than 50 yards from my house, and a couple of horses in a pasture near their run in shed. Couldn’t have been a mistake. Some of you may have noted my lack of enthusiasm for guns in the hands of fruit loops.
therein lies a big problem. "Fruit loops" has no definition outside of the name brand of colorful edible food. I know what you're saying. I also understand from my own firsthand experience that the government is not to be trusted. Not after what they've done to myself, and 11 of my former coworkers. 1 became a criminal because they were set up, and I have 100% proof. I can't comment much more on it due to legalities, but trust me-it happens. With that, the government can't be trusted to judge who is and is not fit for owning a firearm. They like to "simplify"-meaning I can easily see a "law" being put into effect that would disallow anyone who takes a mental health medication from ownership. But that leaves all the crazies, the ones who are undiagnosed. So then what to "they" do? Require everyone to take a mental health exam? Who pays for it? Who gets rich from it? How many people will become criminals should they decide to forfeit the evaluation? It's truly a very complicated subject which is and will continue to be quite polarizing.

I don't own any firearms-BUT-I still believe in the second amendment, as it is written. And you can't just take them away now, especially since Obama made all the threats of taking them, infringing up on 2A, and as some would say possibly setting up "reasons" to take them away.

what I learned from my last decade of dealing with the fed, is that if you give them one inch, they're going to take the whole mile. And they are above the law.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
therein lies a big problem. "Fruit loops" has no definition outside of the name brand of colorful edible food. I know what you're saying. I also understand from my own firsthand experience that the government is not to be trusted. Not after what they've done to myself, and 11 of my former coworkers. 1 became a criminal because they were set up, and I have 100% proof. I can't comment much more on it due to legalities, but trust me-it happens. With that, the government can't be trusted to judge who is and is not fit for owning a firearm. They like to "simplify"-meaning I can easily see a "law" being put into effect that would disallow anyone who takes a mental health medication from ownership. But that leaves all the crazies, the ones who are undiagnosed. So then what to "they" do? Require everyone to take a mental health exam? Who pays for it? Who gets rich from it? How many people will become criminals should they decide to forfeit the evaluation? It's truly a very complicated subject which is and will continue to be quite polarizing.

I don't own any firearms-BUT-I still believe in the second amendment, as it is written. And you can't just take them away now, especially since Obama made all the threats of taking them, infringing up on 2A, and as some would say possibly setting up "reasons" to take them away.

what I learned from my last decade of dealing with the fed, is that if you give them one inch, they're going to take the whole mile. And they are above the law.
Precisely. That is why I keep campaigning for the gun owning community members to take personal responsibility for their guns. Leave government out of it. Don't just sell them to any one. Keep them locked up. This includes gunstores, gunshows etc. PARENTS! Some gunstores offer classes. Encourage and support those that have and require classes with enough contact with someone to at least try to decide if someone is capable and responsible enough to own a gun. Gunstores are not required to sell guns to someone if they don't want to. I visited two while considering a gun purchase. One cared if you could handle a gun safely, one only cared about how much money you had. Make background checks easier and faster to get, but use your (our) judgement.. Sure people can find crooks to get a gun from, but at least try. Don't let it be your gun used in a school shooting.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Sure people can find crooks to get a gun from, but at least try. Don't let it be your gun used in a school shooting.
Do you lock your purse in a safe every night? You know a thief can easily steal your purse if you dont and go out and buy a gun on the streets with that cash or credit cards they found in your purse. Same goes for anything else of value in or around your house.

Bottom line is the criminals are 100% at fault for crimes not the guy who criminals steal from.

Reactions: 3 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Sheep why not leave your anti gun bias for another part of the internet

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Someone's dislike of guns is their choice. I do not agree that guns should be taken away from citizens. I will however respect their right not to own one. Just as long I get to keep mine after the ones I lost in the lake get replaced.

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Feel free to block my comments if you don't want to read them.

I don't advocate taking anyone's guns, I have lots of family members, friends, and neighbors who hunt and use guns for legitimate purposes. I am happy to have a piece of venison if it comes my way. So it is not an anti gun bias. It is a bias toward folks having a sense of responsibility and a recognition that these are things that in the wrong hands can cause a lot of harm to innocent people.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Feel free to block my comments if you don't want to read them.

I don't advocate taking anyone's guns, I have lots of family members, friends, and neighbors who hunt and use guns for legitimate purposes. I am happy to have a piece of venison if it comes my way. So it is not an anti gun bias. It is a bias toward folks having a sense of responsibility and a recognition that these are things that in the wrong hands can cause a lot of harm to innocent people.
I dont block people, thats cowardly. Why dont you stay on topic and quit talking about guns in various threads that have nothing to do with gun ownershp.

I realize youre untouchable here and run the place, but rules are rules.

I think you are trying toget this thread locked. Its a dirty tactic youve used in the past.

Reactions: 2 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
"Lamb Chop" was mentioned.

I wish I could find it, but I recall a TV Guide episode with celebrity's favorite recipes. Shari Lewis had a recipe for lamb chops...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Don't name the food, they are not pets they are food.
I wasn't blaming anybody for anything. Just found the observation rather interesting.

BUT sometimes I do think that if I had to kill whatever I eat with my own hands, I might eat more veggies!

I still greatly enjoy my hamburgers, steaks and sushi though...LOL...just like the kids I mentioned that feel sad when a favorite cow is taken away, but at dinnertime are looking for their meat for dinner...

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
One day I asked the 8th grade students in my classroom, where do hamburgers come from? Their reply, Publix, the Florida grocery store chain. None of them knew that hamburgers come from cows. There are a lot of people that do not have a clue in life.

Electric comes out of the wall, according to the same class.