Bill to end livestock "abuse".........

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Now the government will dictate what you grow and eat. This needs to stop but how? Please post where to protest ideas such as this. I do not want to get this topic pulled from here for the info being political. So where do we look to for help?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
To start with, do some fact checking. The way I understand it, the current administration did NOT propose that we stop eating meat or drinking milk. Some outfit called the Daily Mail surmised, extrapolated, guessed that the only way to meet the proposed goals was to take cows out of the equation, and spread that notion, rumor, call it what you will. As far as making Oregon a special haven, this is a proposed bill. A piece of idiocy hopefully not even making it to the state legislature for a vote. Oregonians will have to ensure that

Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Okay, you asked for a way to stop this idiocy? The way to do that is to ridicule the idiots. You need to call them stupid and make them afraid to sprout their idiotic BS. If you shame them, they will be afraid to mention anything stupid again for fear of being thought of badly. It is not PC but it does work. Besides, being PC is just idiotic too.

Reactions: 4 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The way not to convince people you have a valid point is to share links as in the first post that are full of half truths if not downright lies surrounding the real point. And Botamon this is not meant to criticize you for pointing it out. There is no source for the "proposed bill" . Makes me think maker of the video is someone just wanting to stir up trouble.

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The way not to convince people you have a valid point is to share links as in the first post that are full of half truths if not downright lies surrounding the real point. And Botamon this is not meant to criticize you for pointing it out. There is no source for the "proposed bill" . Makes me think maker of the video is someone just wanting to stir up trouble.
It is not a farce. It is an initiative for a proposed bill. Oregon is one of several states that has an initiative process that puts the initiative before the people for a vote. It does not become law unless passed by the people in a referendum. Then it is formed into a bill and becomes law. You will not find it unless you are looking for the inititave itself. Here is a link that spells out what the initiative says in plain language.

Your state may not have an initiative process, I did not check, so you may not be aware of how it works.

Reactions: 2 users

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
First result of searching for Oregon Bill IP13.

It's a proposed ballot measure initiative that is in the "signature gathering" phase. The question is, will 112K Oregonians sign the petition to give this lunacy enough legitimacy to actually land on the state ballot? That's only ~2.5% of the population, and, if you've ever spent any time in the more populous western 1/3 of the state, I'd be betting dollars to doughnuts they'll get their signatures.

The article above also mentions Colorado citizens are pushing for a similar ballot initiate! Just goes to show that whack-a-doos live everywhere...

No way either state would support it enough to approve it if they do land on the ballot. But, what scares me is this greatly expands the Overton Window of what are acceptable ways to dictate what others do.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I would think that you owe an apology to Botamon

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It sounds as though we are in agreement about the foolishness of this particular initiative, and which was what I meant by the central point.

I do object however to “Christian”’s adding in untruths and exaggerations to throw kerosene on the fire. There is no proposed meat ban, at least not by Biden. It is a figment of someone’s imagination guaranteed to get a bunch of us riled up. Another case in point a 24 sq foot “condo for pigs” as another “ridiculous idea”. 24 sq feet is a space 4 feet by 6 for example. Just imagine fitting a full grown hog into much less. We may have to agree to disagree on government control, and some of his other points since that would most certainly get political. What I am trying to say is that piling in a bunch of BS weakens the argument. The initiative is foolish enough on its own.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
To start with, do some fact checking. The way I understand it, the current administration did NOT propose that we stop eating meat or drinking milk. Some outfit called the Daily Mail surmised, extrapolated, guessed that the only way to meet the proposed goals was to take cows out of the equation, and spread that notion, rumor, call it what you will. As far as making Oregon a special haven, this is a proposed bill. A piece of idiocy hopefully not even making it to the state legislature for a vote. Oregonians will have to ensure that
From what I read what Joe has would try bro get us down to about 4 lbs. of beef per year, but can't find right now.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
It sounds as though we are in agreement about the foolishness of this particular initiative, and which was what I meant by the central point.

I do object however to “Christian”’s adding in untruths and exaggerations to throw kerosene on the fire. There is no proposed meat ban, at least not by Biden. It is a figment of someone’s imagination guaranteed to get a bunch of us riled up. Another case in point a 24 sq foot “condo for pigs” as another “ridiculous idea”. 24 sq feet is a space 4 feet by 6 for example. Just imagine fitting a full grown hog into much less. We may have to agree to disagree on government control, and some of his other points since that would most certainly get political. What I am trying to say is that piling in a bunch of BS weakens the argument. The initiative is foolish enough on its own.
yep BS propaganda runs on both sides. However only one side is cancelling the others way of life. Maybe thats the problem.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I have learned that it only takes a small amount of loud people to take away the rights of the silent majority, If you do not think that is true then take a look at what has happened in just the last few months.

So when I hear something like this I tend to believe that it can happen.

I mean it's not like a small group seized an area in a city and created an autonomous zone and the state and local government didn't do anything about it...right

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
PAUSE = Protect Animals from Unnecessary Suffering and Exploitation.

Here's a link that explain the situation pretty clearly, and if there enough people who line up with this thinking the American diet will change. Of course that seems to be the goal.

https://www.montrosepress.com/news/...cle_9b5550bc-8201-11eb-8db8-ff1f25d88ec3.html

Here's some highlites.

"The other matter that puts a hole through the heart of the livestock industry is the provision in the petition that dictates when an animal can be slaughtered. Under the PAUSE rules one could not send an animal to slaughter until it has lived out 25% of its expected lifetime.

Here is the new insertion into the law: “Natural lifespan for the following species shall be explicitly defined here based on the statistical estimates: a cow lives to 20 years, a chicken lives to eight years, a turkey lives to 10 years, a duck lives to six years, a pig lives to 15 years, a sheep lives to 15 years, a rabbit lives to six years.”
So, your market steer has to be 5 before you can send them to a processor. Instead of two years, the steers go at five years. The same sort of logistical nightmare occurs in other stock, but here we will assume a producer has to keep the steer three extra years, paying to feed it all that time — vintners do not age wine that long before selling it."

A farmer watches his inputs very closely because wasted feed, additional medicines, vet. care, etc determine his profit and ability to remain in business. Farmers do not abuse their livestock, that is what produces their income.

These two writers of this initiative must not understand the meat eaten by most folks is not 5 years old (unless you enjoy Fast Food like McDon hamburges). Those are usually culled cows because of age and not producing young,

If this kind of thought passes into law invest in meat grinders, everyone will need one for a while. They we will eventually be conditioned to eating non-meat.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Here's a link that explain the situation pretty clearly, and if there enough people who line up with this thinking the American diet will change. Of course that seems to be the goal.

https://www.montrosepress.com/news/...cle_9b5550bc-8201-11eb-8db8-ff1f25d88ec3.html

Here's some highlites.

"The other matter that puts a hole through the heart of the livestock industry is the provision in the petition that dictates when an animal can be slaughtered. Under the PAUSE rules one could not send an animal to slaughter until it has lived out 25% of its expected lifetime.

Here is the new insertion into the law: “Natural lifespan for the following species shall be explicitly defined here based on the statistical estimates: a cow lives to 20 years, a chicken lives to eight years, a turkey lives to 10 years, a duck lives to six years, a pig lives to 15 years, a sheep lives to 15 years, a rabbit lives to six years.”
So, your market steer has to be 5 before you can send them to a processor. Instead of two years, the steers go at five years. The same sort of logistical nightmare occurs in other stock, but here we will assume a producer has to keep the steer three extra years, paying to feed it all that time — vintners do not age wine that long before selling it."

A farmer watches his inputs very closely because wasted feed, additional medicines, vet. care, etc determine his profit and ability to remain in business. Farmers do not abuse their livestock, that is what produces their income.

These two writers of this initiative must not understand the meat eaten by most folks is not 5 years old (unless you enjoy Fast Food like McDon hamburges). Those are usually culled cows because of age and not producing young,

If this kind of thought passes into law invest in meat grinders, everyone will need one for a while. They we will eventually be conditioned to eating non-meat.
I noticed that they just started advertising a new "Green" dog food. Made from cricket's to save water.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
" These two writers of this initiative must not understand the meat eaten by most folks is not 5 years old "

They understand perfectly well, they are trying to eliminate meat from our diets, this is all part of the New Green deal...a major takeover over our economy and higher taxes, regulations and fees on everything.

Only the elite will be allowed to eat meat

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota

Here's some highlites.

Looks like they forgot to connect with the green house gas lobby - that would seriously jack up methane production from livestock and increase deforestation to grow food for those extra years. Also didn't talk to the poverty folks as that would jack up the price of food (meat and non-meat) dramatically. But why should facts get in the way of a passionate cause?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Anybody else a firm believer in PETA? I am.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Reactions: 7 users