Best way to spread top soil

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
There are several youtube videos showing you how to remove and install the backhoe.
Use this search at

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=b2601+backhoe+removal.

Just make sure you are on level ground when you take it off. If not, it can be a real pain to reinstall it. Also make sure you put a block under it to support it when the hydraulics bleed down. (which they will).
I would not do anything until everything dries up. I would also throw a tarp over the new pile. You try spreading things now and you will just make a bigger mess. I usually use my front loader to spread and smooth, I can usually get it pretty level, then do a light hand rake prior to seeding.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
The rakes for Quads are lighter weight, but they are much cheaper than a tractor 3 point rake.
On the other hand learning how to get the BH off and setting up the three point is a good thing to know.
Good point in the BH removal. Probably better to learn how to do that while everything is in working order than wait for some emergency.

if I remove BH and still want to use tractor, I think I need a ballast box (I think that’s what it’s called) so the tractor isn’t front-heavy, right?

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
There are several youtube videos showing you how to remove and install the backhoe.
Use this search at

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=b2601+backhoe+removal.

Just make sure you are on level ground when you take it off. If not, it can be a real pain to reinstall it. Also make sure you put a block under it to support it when the hydraulics bleed down. (which they will).
I would not do anything until everything dries up. I would also throw a tarp over the new pile. You try spreading things now and you will just make a bigger mess. I usually use my front loader to spread and smooth, I can usually get it pretty level, then do a light hand rake prior to seeding.
Awesome! Thank you! I’m going to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick a couple of the big tarps to cover up the soil. I also have 10 yds of stone dust (not in picture). Would you cover that too?

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I was intimidated removing my backhoe at first as well, but like everything the more you do it the easier it gets. Also, if you have a shop or garage to store it in you could build a dolly. Then its stupid simple to remove and reinstall.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good point in the BH removal. Probably better to learn how to do that while everything is in working order than wait for some emergency.

if I remove BH and still want to use tractor, I think I need a ballast box (I think that’s what it’s called) so the tractor isn’t front-heavy, right?
Doing loader work with a ballast box is preferable, but if your doing flat ground work you can get away without it.
But then if your going to pull the BH it would be a good reason to get a good rear blade!
Ballast and would spread dirt really nicely! ;)

Reactions: 1 users

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
Awesome! Thank you! I’m going to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick a couple of the big tarps to cover up the soil. I also have 10 yds of stone dust (not in picture). Would you cover that too?
I don't know if I would bother with the stone dust? I assume your going to add on to that beautiful brick patio? If so if it is damp it may help when you go to pack it down. Besides the stone dust will drain where as it would take a long time for the topsoil to dry.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know if I would bother with the stone dust? I assume your going to add on to that beautiful brick patio? If so if it is damp it may help when you go to pack it down. Besides the stone dust will drain where as it would take a long time for the topsoil to dry.
You wouldn't want a good rain shower to wash it all over the place would you???

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
racerboy - -

Been there. Had 12" ruts in my yard in November a few years ago. Real mess. Left it alone until April.

Let everything dry some before you make another mess. Don't let it dry too much, looks like a lot of clay on a hill....be like a rock. Get it still moist.

Cover the topsoil pile.

You've got some ruts and bumps in your yard that will survive without some work by a ground-engaging implement. Smooth topsoil won't fix that.

That said, on the cheap I would spread topsoil as others describe. Pull well-forward with a bucket full of topsoil, then back up slowly uncurling with taps. It works.

Been a while since I shopped one, but isn't there a "real tractor" drawbar on your B2601? Can you use it with the backhoe on?

If so, then go with a 4-6 foot piece of 4x4 or 6x6. Heck, make one out of pieces of "cheapest" 2x4 or x6 pieces or scraps screwed together to make a 12x6 "frame" to drag around. Box spring or fence section works too.

Eye bolts both ends. Threaded eyes would work.

Use rope or cable on the eyes, then make a "fixed" loop that will go through a clevis to hook to the drawbar.

The fixed loop on the tractor end will keep the lumber "square" with the tractor. Fix the loop by knot in the rope, or ferrule on cable.

Should smooth topsoil well. Go reverse of topsoil application, back WAY away, then pull forward.

Only problem with dragging anything means you have to move it with your bucket or by hand....can't back up with something towed by cable...... ;)

Your not going to be pulling very hard. Should work and will limit amount of raking.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats on your new machine...and plus 1 for removing the backhoe. Just do it and learn how to get it done. After a few times you'll learn that its a piece of cake.

If you have the room, remove it on a hard surface and make up a couple of dollies (or just buy some). It will make the removal/installation that much easier. see pic below.

If you're considering making an implement purchase, be sure to also consider a quick hitch and make sure any implement you buy is quick hitch compatible.

BH resting position.JPG

backhoe resting.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thanks everyone. A lot of good information for me to digest. Place I live up in north NJ is called Stonehedge. There are no hedges, but lots of stone. A lot of glacial deposits of granite. You can’t dig 6 in without hitting a rock. lol.

• Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Where in NJ are you located? Possibly you might find another member that could give you a hand with the work and might even have a small BX with a landscape rake that he could give you a hand with. I know that if someone were local to me, I would offer them assistance if I knew that I had what they needed.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
If that is a new well you should have them come back and fix where the wire conduit goes into the well cap.
That is a good way for a mouse or snakes to get into your well.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
If that is a new well you should have them come back and fix where the wire conduit goes into the well cap.
That is a good way for a mouse or snakes to get into your well.
That’s actually my old well, which is now going to used only for washing cars. But I will repair that. I also thought of painting it green. I don’t mind snakes. In fact. I spend most of my weekends out catching/photographing them in the spring.
BD22982F-7811-47CB-971C-738F9A5824C3.jpeg

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
fwiw
I put in a new lawn myself 2 years ago - after getting 'knock my socks off' estimates.

The 1st thing I did was to bring soil samples to the CT Ag Station. They analyzed it and gave me back a complete recommendation for what and how much to add back into the soil (lime and types of fertilizer). Based on what I told them about sun exposure and how much time I wanted to spend on maintaining it they also recommended a seed mix. The best free advice I ever got. Oh, and the chief scientist there suggested I NOT bring in topsoil. As he said, you just don't know what seeds are mixed in topsoil.

You are going to spend a lot of time on this project. Why not get a good plan to start with?

As far as implements to use. . . I had a box blade. I bought a nice new tiller and drag harrow. Sold them both after I used them. I didn't have to worry about rental time and could work at an old man's my pace. I did not bring in topsoil except for the small second section. Oh yeah, the scientist was right. I fertilized the hell out of a nice crop of weeds in that topsoil. Extra work later killing them off.

Tiller at work

It's a fun project and a lot of gratification when the lawn comes in!

Good luck!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The rakes for Quads are lighter weight, but they are much cheaper than a tractor 3 point rake.
On the other hand learning how to get the BH off and setting up the three point is a good thing to know.
Nope!
The EASIEST way..... is to NEVER take the BH off, and just buy a 2nd tractor!
Ignoring cost,...EVERYONE needs a 2nd tractor!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I spread 20 tons of topsoil last spring in my garden and low places around the property with just my FEL. I would slowly dump it as a rolled backwards. Then I would use my FEL in float to back drag it. I could adjust the angle of the bucket on the back drag to make it more or less aggressive.

If you got it fairly smooth that way I would think you could then rig up some kind of drag to pull behind the tractor to smooth it out completely. I'm sure there are tons of ideas out there.

Since I spread the sol I found a deal on a used BB. It made things a lot easier when I extended my driveway and spread 20 tons of stone. I did most of the initial spreading with my FEL the same way I did the topsoil. Then finished smoothing it with the BB.

All done while it was dry.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I stopped by my local Kubota dealer today just to see if they rented box blades. They don’t. But they do rent York rakes for the 3-point hitch. Not sure if I should consider that. I’m definitely going to wait until we get some drier weather. I bought a couple of big tarps from Harbor Freight to cover the soil (I think we are getting more rain on Monday).

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I stopped by my local Kubota dealer today just to see if they rented box blades. They don’t. But they do rent York rakes for the 3-point hitch. Not sure if I should consider that. I’m definitely going to wait until we get some drier weather. I bought a couple of big tarps from Harbor Freight to cover the soil (I think we are getting more rain on Monday).
Based on your pictures you should be just fine with a landscape rake.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
As others have said, it is more of a deal in your head removing the BH. As Nike, says, just do it!

I have been doing a lot of major landscaping & grading. I do most of the major work with the BH & back-dragging the bucket. I then remove the BH and use my BB. I plan on borrowing a neighbor's 3pt landscape rake before seeding/reseeding this spring.