B7200D Pilot bushing question

opalbeetle

Equipment
B7200D
Dec 31, 2015
Anola, MB, Canada
Hello everyone! I'm new here and have been looking through the site for some time now. I recently purchased a 1987 B7200D and am thrilled to have a Kubota diesel!

I have been learning how to understand the hydraulic system and recently the clutch/throw out bearing etc. Certainly a learning curve!

I am not afraid to tackle things and figure it out, nor am I afraid to ask questions which is why I am here!

I split the tractor today to replace the throwout bearing that was making noise and found the pilot bushing to be somewhat dubious! I will order a new one but the stupid question I have is, that there was a brass/bronze bushing that was seated into the flywheel opening that was rather shredded and I cut it out. I'm pretty sure that the pilot bushing fits into the end of the crankshaft, but what is this other bushing called? I cannot find a part number for either of those parts on the Kubota.ca website. Also, do you have to remove the flywheel to install the pilot bushing?

Now, the input shaft has some wear near the "shoulder" close to the splines. What is considered acceptable wear on the shaft? Or, is the wear considered unacceptable and should it be replaced?

Thanks for considering my questions!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The pilot bushing/bearing is the one in the end of the crank, bushings or bearings they all pretty much do the same thing, keep input shaft aligned with crankshaft. It only does its thing when clutch is pressed so its intermittent use.
I have removed bearings to find replacement part was a bushing.
Oilite bushing
Ball bearing
Needle bearing with a bushing.
As long as it fits, dont be alarmed that it may be different.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I assume you mean what was the steel part that you pulled out that was in front of the bronze pilot bushing.
It's and oil seal P/N 09400-14247

Attachments

opalbeetle

Equipment
B7200D
Dec 31, 2015
Anola, MB, Canada
Thanks, I actually found those part numbers this morning.

I pulled the pilot bushing out, and it needs replacing for sure, but where does that oil seal go? Does it mount between the flywheel and the end of the crankshaft? I have looked for a picture of this but can't find a clear one, and I can't see on in the manual.

Also, would I have to take the flywheel off to get at that oil seal? I haven't removed the flywheel at this point.

There was definitely another brass bushing of some sort in the opening of the flywheel. I wonder if someone added it somewhere along the line?

I appreciate all of the help I can get on this, as I am ordering parts tomorrow.

Todd

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you will need to remove the flywheel to replace both the pilot bushing and the oil seal, and yes the pilot bushing and the oil seal both go in the back of the crank.
Note: The flywheel only goes on the crank one way, there is only a subtle difference in the spacing of the bolt holes, hand thread them in.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can simplify your flywheel alignment when you put it back together if you take a marker pen and mark a spot on the outside edge of the flywheel and a matching mark on the block.

Those bolts/holes are offset just a tad, and if you're not aware of it you can get frustrated!!

opalbeetle

Equipment
B7200D
Dec 31, 2015
Anola, MB, Canada
Thanks for that information.

Now, the release bearing holder has two oil seals that are pressed into the transmission end and I've replaced those, but there is a third seal that appears to slide over the holder. Does anyone know where this seal goes onto the holder?

Attachments

opalbeetle

Equipment
B7200D
Dec 31, 2015
Anola, MB, Canada
So, I found where this seal is in the bell housing. If it's in decent condition, should I just leave it there? It looks to be in decent enough condition.

I'm also wondering if there might need to be some serious voodoo science to get the new one installed into that spot.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes if the seal is good, leave it in, it is very tough to replace.

You really won't get a lot of use out of that seal unless you were going to go into rice framing. ;)

Mira80

Equipment
B1402
Jan 22, 2020
Czech Republic
Hello friends,
yesterday I disassembly clutch on my B1400, for exchange this bushing. But my question is - hole in crankshaft is 18mm diameter, but outer diameter of bushing is only 16 mm. When I put it out, I found something like thin aluminium foil about it. It is for fixing bushing in hole ? Thank you.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suspect that the bushing was completely worn out and damage occurred to the end of the crankshaft. The repair to the crankshaft was to bore it to a larger diameter.

Then there was a shim installed around the bushing to hold it in place. You could also have a custom size bushing made if you are able to get a good measurement of the hole size in the crank.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Considering that you have it all apart, look into having the clutch relined or buying a new one from the Kubota dealer. If it were me, I would have replaced every part of the clutch assembly except for the flywheel, which I would have resurfaced. If you really want to go all out, you could have the flywheel and pressure plate balanced as a unit. Depending on where you live, you might find a local machine shop that can take care of all of the work for you so all you will have to do is to put it back into the tractor.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
except for the flywheel, which I would have resurfaced
You do not resurface Kubota flywheels… break the glaze only with sandpaper or emery cloth.

IMHO. Other than that, agreed with replacing all worn or questionable parts while you’re in there. Unless you can see they’ve been replaced recently.

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Not disagreeing, but just curious why the flywheel can't be resurfaced? thanks

Mira80

Equipment
B1402
Jan 22, 2020
Czech Republic
Russell King>
May be. One way is to make a new bushing or another way is to make ring bushing to crankshaft. Now I solved it by adding copper strips abour bushing. i will se what will do it.
DustyRusty
All other parts looks like good so I leave it on the place now.