B7100HST-D and 4WD

pjespers

Equipment
B7100HST-D RC60-71B Mower RB-60 Blade Phoenix T-40 Tiller
Aug 13, 2014
Plad, MO
Is it OK to keep the tractor in 4WD mode when not really needed, or should I switch to 2WD? Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As long as your not running on a hard packed surface 4wd is fine. ;)
Both of my tractors have been in perma 4wd since I got them.:D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
And I'm just the opposite. 2wd unless 4wd is needed. There is no right or wrong. 4wd all the time just puts more load on the eng and drive train, not a lot but more than 2wd.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is it OK to keep the tractor in 4WD mode when not really needed, or should I switch to 2WD? Thanks

Now you already have two answers on both ends of the spectrum! And both are right and neither wrong!:eek:

If I am on flat ground and need to "move" from A to B ....2wd is my way to go, it seems a "tad" bit faster, now it could be my imagination, but with HST is seems a bit faster. If I am cutting grass, 2wd, the front end will tear up some stuff in 4wd even in large radius turns!:D
I "play" in the wet zone and I stay in 4wd most of the time.

Recently I had to haul a butt load of brick dust from one field to another, I would travel in 2wd butttt, I often needed to drop in low range and 4wd to fill my scoop then shift back up and out of 4wd.

ONE place I would alwaysssss use 4wd, going down a grassy or gravel slope. The HST is a game changer when in 4wd drive. The HST does a four wheel brake job better than anything else. I have almost had the serious OoooFFFFFFudge.....(the christmans story when changing the tire!) in 2wd caring a load down a wet grassy hill at a slight angle.......talk about a pucker factor !:eek::eek:

Unless there is a reason - stay out of it when on a real hard surface, unless you must.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
One thing i did notice, steering is easier in2wd.
Saves somewhat in wear and tear using 4wd when needed. Your machine. Your choice.

pjespers

Equipment
B7100HST-D RC60-71B Mower RB-60 Blade Phoenix T-40 Tiller
Aug 13, 2014
Plad, MO
hmmmm. I've noticed a little turf tear when turning. I'll try it in 2WD and see how that works.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ill leave you with this and let you come to your own conclusion. Years ago I was truck driver for my local New Holland dealer. Dont hate, it was a job and a paycheck.

But anyway I went a picked up an older compact Ford tractor with the company roll back that was having steering/moving troubles.

Come to find out that a landscaping company owned the tractor and used it in 4wd all the time and trashed the front axle. To the tune of $6000 in repairs or a new tractor. OUCH!!

You dont run your 4x4 trucks in 4wd all the time, its probably not a good idea to do it with a tractor. Pavement or dirt its still unnecessary wear.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I was told by the dealer to run in 2WD unless I needed the extra traction. Reasons cited were:

• Wear on tires
• Wear on hydraulics and drive systems
• Wear on steering components
• Utilizing more power from the engine when unnecessary, potentially costing more fuel

In the end it is an economic decision vs. convenience of not shifting it in and out. So both positions CAN be correct, it's just how you weight the decision.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I only used my tractor at the camp. I always run it in 2WD High going down the dirt roads or black top. I only put it in 4WD Med or Low when in the fields, doing loader work or when I have to go through a mud hole.

camembert

Equipment
B7100HST, 2 mowers, post hole borer, backhoe, roller, log splitter
Jun 13, 2013
Hampshire, UK
Here's another good reason to use 2WD unless you have to ....
If you're going anywhere muddy, slippy, slopey, boggy, icy or where you fear you might have trouble getting out:
Go in with 2WD - if you lose traction and can't move forwards or back, then engage 4WD and you'll probably get home for supper.
Go in with 4WD and you don't have a trick up your sleeve.
Works for me.
John

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Like some people have said, I use 2wd until I get stuck. Then 4wd gets me out. When doing loader work I use 4wd to fill the bucket, then switch out when traveling. If I had a backhoe behind me I may not need 4wd for loader work. I only use a box blade back there.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
In many situations if the tractor gets stuck in a sloppy mess simply step on the differential lock your right heal and you'll usually move free. Or if you have a loader in the nasty stuff roll the bucket all the way down, apply pressure to the ground and curl the bucket back. It'll help push you out backwards.