B6100 Glow Plug Controller not heating

FairwayFatty

Equipment
1982 B6100D, B9320 PTO Clutch, Dozer Blade, Woods 348KB-1, Box Blade
Feb 5, 2010
Gretna, Va. USA
Hello ALL - Started tractor as normal, Glow Plug Controller (GPC) warmed up after 20 seconds or so and then started tractor. No issues. Let run for about 20 minutes to let warm up and pulled into my garage to change oil and filter. Completed oil change pushed in the clutch turn key left and no heat at the GP. Tried and tried and tried nothing. Let it set for a bit and put charger on battery as it was getting a bit weak from all the attempts (I was also trying to start knowing the GPC was not heating). Tried a few more times and nothing. Waited a bit more, turned key to the left and bingo could see the GPC glow red after about 20 seconds and fired right up.
This morning attempted to start and same thing...no heat at the GPC. Appreciate any advice as I'm in Central VA and have about 8" snow and it has'nt let up!
Thanks FF

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First you don't have a GPC that model is 100% manual, it's just all hard wired.
If the Indicator isn't showing that the plugs are getting hot, then it's either a wiring, switch, indicator, or glow plug issue.

#1 Check all the wiring in the circuit, look for loose connections. ;)

jakemaxwell806

Sep 27, 2018
US
Key switch getting wore on my b8200 If I turn all the way to the left no glow plugs I turn only a little an glow plugs work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FairwayFatty

Equipment
Feb 5, 2010
Gretna, Va. USA
Wolfman - See attached. Kubota seems to call it a GPC.
Anyway I did manage to get it started. There are two fuse holders - one of which was cracked and the spring that loads the fuse to contact was pushing through the end and i forced it closed a bit. The other has the wire broke off where it goes into the fuse housing and guessing maybe that is horn? (horn stopped working a few months ago). Unsure if the fuses are related at all. I also sprayed some WD in the key/switch to Jakes point and pressed/jiggled on the connections where i could under the dash. It seems to be intermittent just never happened in the ~10yrs Ive owned.
Anyway anyone know what the 2 fuse holders are? I'll see if I can find my manual to take a look.
FF

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Wolfman is right -- it's just an indicator and doesn't really control anything. When you turn the key to the glow position, current flows through the indicator and makes it glow red at about the same rate as the glow plugs themselves.

"Glow plug controller" implies a circuit that automagically turns the glow plugs on and off as long as they are needed.

So, if the indicator isn't indicating and the glow plugs aren't working, then the problem is somewhere in the fairly simple circuit. You can verify if the plugs are receiving power with a voltmeter between one of the plugs and ground.

Have you downloaded this manual yet? It includes the wiring diagram for the glow plug circuit.

From that diagram, one can see that the indicator is in parallel with the plugs themselves. So if neither the glow plugs nor the indicator are working then the problem is in or before the key switch. The same wiring to the key switch also provides power to the starter solenoid, so if the engine is cranking, then that must be OK.

If its not before the key switch, and its not after the key switch, then that only leaves one possibility...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman - See attached. Kubota seems to call it a GPC.
Kubota doesn't call that the glow plug controller, Kubota calls it a glow lamp, now whoever made up the fancy add on stickers called it that, those aren't OEM labels.
You have a rather odd model of B6100 or a grey market model, that's a french or french canadian model, hence that reason the original labels are in french.
I would bet it probably was originally a B6001, that was relabled.

The glow plug circuit is an unfused circuit (there is a fuse link for the main electrical), the switch controls it and has 2 paths one path is in glow position that goes through the indicator then to the glow plugs, the second path is in start position and it goes directly to the glow plugs bypassing the indicator.

The fuses under the dash are for lighting circuits.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Troll someone else with your piece of sh_t advice.
You might want to review a few more of his thousands of posts before you start calling Wolfman a troll. NIW is one of the most helpful and prolific contributors to this board. His responses are generally useful and accurate. I am another that did not see anything insulting in his response. I think you owe him an apology.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Wolfman - I posted questions on the glow plug issue and to what my dash photo clearly shows. Saying my tractor has "fancy add on stickers" and is a "grey model" is insulting. F___ you. Take that up with the moderator which I'm sure you will do. I posted here to get some help not here to take cheap shots on authenticity of my tractor. Troll someone else with your piece of sh_t advice.
So you don't understand how your glow plugs work. Someone explained how they work. You show a picture of the dash labels to defend your assertion that the indicator/resistor is a controller. The label that calls it a controller is clearly way newer than other labels on the dash. Someone opines that the label isn't original and that your tractor may be a grey model. You throw a tantrum and defend your tractor's authenticity as though it was your mother's virginity. Who's really the troll here?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Fatty, we can tell you are attached to your tractor, as most of us are, but NIW meant no disrespect, he is stating facts. The general philosophy on the forum is not to attack people personally, which you have done, calling NIW a troll. I agree apologies are due. One other piece of information, he IS one of the moderators. What would be helpful is if you deleted or edited your post and the rest of us dealing with it could delete ours. We could then go on trying to help you with your electrical problem.
Sometimes ....the facts are stated.......

and sometime we the "posters" make mistakes (BTDT on many occasions)

and more time than not - we as humans, misread, misinterpret WORDS that are in print, based on just that - words on a screen!

Often we blast someone for stating somethings that comes across as harsh, when the true meaning was far from it - We all have had a fair share of "ribbing" and made fun of with something we said or did not say.

In this case - the OP took offense to the "labels" .......which IF we do our research .....find that they are indeed a factory labels! On several of the B series 5100,6100,7100 those labels are straight from the Kubota factory, and while they may be on a "non us" model doesn't change the situation - just adds more to the point. (I own one on my list)

However - the point that is missed is that we can and often do, "assume" that all info we "know" is factual when after pointed out ....we learn it not to be the case.

Many here can sometimes come across a little on the "scrappy" side and others are more than too helpful - what we all forget is that most come here for the first time to find information from the wisdom of the group. 99% of the time the "newbie" gets a great deal of information without any .....whats the word I am looking for....... "flack" - "lip" or condescending tone.

And then again - sometimes we can slip in our knowledge in a way that is not fully understood by the novice or the person asking a question in a way that is not clear.

Last point - I have learned that words can have tone.....whether spoken or not.:)

May we move forward and realize that we as "humans" make mistakes.....and we should all atone when we are wrong! ;)

Attachments

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Sometimes ....the facts are stated.......

and sometime we the "posters" make mistakes (BTDT on many occasions)

and more time than not - we as humans, misread, misinterpret WORDS that are in print, based on just that - words on a screen!

Often we blast someone for stating somethings that comes across as harsh, when the true meaning was far from it - We all have had a fair share of "ribbing" and made fun of with something we said or did not say.

In this case - the OP took offense to the "labels" .......which IF we do our research .....find that they are indeed a factory labels! On several of the B series 5100,6100,7100 those labels are straight from the Kubota factory, and while they may be on a "non us" model doesn't change the situation - just adds more to the point. (I own one on my list)

However - the point that is missed is that we can and often do, "assume" that all info we "know" is factual when after pointed out ....we learn it not to be the case.

Many here can sometimes come across a little on the "scrappy" side and others are more than too helpful - what we all forget is that most come here for the first time to find information from the wisdom of the group. 99% of the time the "newbie" gets a great deal of information without any .....whats the word I am looking for....... "flack" - "lip" or condescending tone.

And then again - sometimes we can slip in our knowledge in a way that is not fully understood by the novice or the person asking a question in a way that is not clear.

Last point - I have learned that words can have tone.....whether spoken or not.:)

May we move forward and realize that we as "humans" make mistakes.....and we should all atone when we are wrong! ;)
I was wrong about the labels. I was right about it not being worth getting worked up over though...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Fatty, do you really think he'll be offended enough to take it up with the moderator?

You could go to some other forum and post your questions, then wait for an answer. Then you would really have a reason to be frustrated.

I'd suggest an apology to North Idaho Wolfman, or just quit asking question here also!

FairwayFatty

Equipment
Feb 5, 2010
Gretna, Va. USA
Wolfman - I took offense to the "fancy stickers" and "grey model" comments when you meant none and I apologize.
I deleted the post. As a moderator if you need to do anything else its on me.
FF

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wolfman - I took offense to the "fancy stickers" and "grey model" comments when you meant none and I apologize.
I deleted the post. As a moderator if you need to do anything else its on me.
FF
Hey FF --- read your PM....upper right corner of your screen, PM = private messages, right below your name;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm sorry you took such offence, none was intended.

I was wrong on the labels, Not the first time I was wrong and won't be the last. :eek:

Being a grey or not being a grey market tractor or not does not affect the operation of the glow plugs.

A grey is just as much a Kubota as a non grey so it's not a big deal.

Just trying to help you out.

Last edited: