B2601 Brush Attachment

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Just an additional thought. Have you looked under your tractor to see how many important things might be exposed, like hydraulic lines & filters?

You might want to be careful about what you are pushing down and running over. A lot of Kubota tractors would benefit from a skid pan for the kind of initial use you have described.
Absolutely Henro. That’s something I’m very careful about and definitely always a concern when doing anything like this. I agree skid plates would be very beneficial. As I cut there’s many things I look at and decide whether to run over or hit with the chainsaw first, so I have been playing it all by ear to make hopefully the right decision each time it’s in use. Last winter (tractor was new) I was in the woods with the grapple and knocked the fuel filter off, so completely get what your saying, you definitely have to be careful. So far it has been phenomenal and really has done a great job.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Point of reference on mulching versus cutting...
Here is shin high grass I just cut with the brush hog before selling it. Very uneven, mostly just knocked over (brand new blades too).

Yeah B737, I haven’t ran it too much through high grass but what I have seen so far it really does mulch it up nicely. I think you will be very pleased with the difference it’s going to make. I can’t wait to see what you think once you get it in. I will post more pics today, I have done a lot of clearing over the last 24 hours.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Crated weight is 525 pounds, I can't believe it got here in literally less than one week. I will get to set up and cutting the shaft later this week, will report back

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Crated weight is 525 pounds, I can't believe it got here in literally less than one week. I will get to set up and cutting the shaft later this week, will report back
Wow! In today's world....that's some great service!! Don't wait too long to uncrate that and report your take on the new machine! The suspense is killin' me!! If I knew what to tell the wife, I'd order one tomorrow! 😨

david

Reactions: 1 user

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
It’s coming along nicely here. Pictures don’t do it justice, it’s completely changing the woods here. In this picture the entire area was 5-6ft high of underbrush, you couldn’t see 5ft into the woods.
10B84C87-389D-4B85-AB80-2BE0306C341C.jpeg

Dowell

Sep 15, 2020
Hendersonville, TN
I'm in the buying process of a B2601 with the LP 60 Rotary Cutter right now. Wanted the flail but dealer in Russellville, KY was really against it. Mostly mowing fields not woods though. Really conflicted.

Dowell

Sep 15, 2020
Hendersonville, TN

I love your ROPS accessory setup, can you post a better picture to see all that you have going on there?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
For all of the flail users here:
What pto hp is your tractor rated and what minimum hp is the stated mower requirement? I want to get a flail mower but they seem to state high HP for minimum requirements. Like the lighter duty 41 inch takes 18HP but my tractor is rated at 14HP. I really don’t want to get much smaller since that will increase the time to mow the 3-4 acres I have.

I run a 4 foot shredder fine but I don’t think it has that high of a minimum HP requirement.

What has been y’alls experience for the flail mowers input HP requirement for the work you have done?

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
I'm in the buying process of a B2601 with the LP 60 Rotary Cutter right now. Wanted the flail but dealer in Russellville, KY was really against it. Mostly mowing fields not woods though. Really conflicted.
Hey Dowell,
You’re going to love the B2601, I have enjoyed it this past year. As far as the rotary cutter verse the flail for mowing fields, I unfortunately don’t know what’s best for that. Hopefully someone else here will be able to answer that question. I know my dealership was against me getting a flail as well due to the HP the B2601 puts out at the PTO, however that was mainly because they sale the land pride flails which required more HP. I can tell you for fact my tractor has handled the flail well and I haven’t even gone fill out on it. So completely understand the concern with the land pride implement but just wanted to give you my opinion on the other brands flail mowers and how it worked out. That being said, I have no idea when it comes to mainly fields what the best implement would be. Good luck and congrats on the new B2601, you will love it!!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
What pto hp is your tractor rated and what minimum hp is the stated mower requirement? I want to get a flail mower but they seem to state high HP for minimum requirements. Like the lighter duty 41 inch takes 18HP but my tractor is rated at 14HP. I really don’t want to get much smaller since that will increase the time to mow the 3-4 acres I have.

I run a 4 foot shredder fine but I don’t think it has that high of a minimum HP requirement.

What has been y’alls experience for the flail mowers input HP requirement for the work you have done?
the medium duty betstco is rated for 14-45. I went with the smallest width because I had the same concerns. Not sure how much of that stated amount is for marketing vs real world, but im about to find out.

I love your ROPS accessory setup, can you post a better picture to see all that you have going on there?
haha thanks Dow, not too much, small tool box behind the seat, some lights, fire extinguisher, and the thing on the side is "ROPS 360" sold at messicks, its handy. I'll grab a picture later.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Just an additional thought. Have you looked under your tractor to see how many important things might be exposed, like hydraulic lines & filters?

You might want to be careful about what you are pushing down and running over. A lot of Kubota tractors would benefit from a skid pan for the kind of initial use you have described.
Second on that, but with smart mowing you can take on things like 5 foot high wild rose bush clumps without driving over them. Set up the mower so it is offset to one side, and shear off brush a foot or so at a time and also raise mower up and back at an angle and set it down on corner of bramble patch and pull forward.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Not sure if this helps...

I have a 53" medium duty flail with hammers that states 22 HP minimum. It runs just fine with my B2650 rated at 19.5 PTO HP. I can easily over rev it in normal stuff. However, it can bog slightly when cutting very thick, tall, wet stilt grass. This is easily countered by slowing the travel rate or lifting the mower up a bit.

Dowell

Sep 15, 2020
Hendersonville, TN
Hey Dowell,
You’re going to love the B2601, I have enjoyed it this past year. As far as the rotary cutter verse the flail for mowing fields, I unfortunately don’t know what’s best for that. Hopefully someone else here will be able to answer that question. I know my dealership was against me getting a flail as well due to the HP the B2601 puts out at the PTO, however that was mainly because they sale the land pride flails which required more HP. I can tell you for fact my tractor has handled the flail well and I haven’t even gone fill out on it. So completely understand the concern with the land pride implement but just wanted to give you my opinion on the other brands flail mowers and how it worked out. That being said, I have no idea when it comes to mainly fields what the best implement would be. Good luck and congrats on the new B2601, you will love it!!
Thanks BigDon. I am also getting a 72 inch finish, so the plan is get the fields ready with the rotary then work my way into using the finish where possible. I guess I'm gonna go with it for now and I'll get a flail in the future if warranted. Really excited about the B2601

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

I've been researching all I can on the flail mowers.....makes, models, HP required, etc. I found a note on a chart somewhere that said for gear transmission tractors you go by the tractors PTO HP stated. For hydrostatic transmissions you go by the tractors engine rated HP. Presumably because with the hydrostatic transmission you can keep the pto rpm's at rated speed and adjust your forward speed as needed. With the geared transmission your forward speeds are set. Other forums have mentioned the same thing.

On Betstco's website they rate my B2650 as having 26 HP available for the flail mower.

david

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Unfortunately not yet! Projects piling up and work is getting in the way of tractoring :) I think I will get to set up, and some test runs in various grasses / brush thicknesses this coming week. will report back

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
making my way down the list, finally uncrating the flail and getting it mostly set up. Tomorrow I have to install the cover over the PTO shaft input and a few other odds and ends. It feels pretty robust. Engagement is very smooth, and it felt balanced when I ran it briefly. Much less drama than the brush hog. I wasnt sure if engaging the PTO at idle would stall the BX, but it didnt bat an eye.

The manual said the gearbox was going to take 3 quarts, which didnt make sense to me because its not a large gear box... it took about 3 cups to fill it. This week i'll get it out in the woods, and bring it to another property where it will get a real work out.

Point of reference for shaft: the shaft measured 29.5" to the pins, I came up with the shortest distance of 28" on the tractor, so I took 3" off each shaft half.

I will turn the steel shipping frame into a cart like you guys did. Will prob weld on some castors on it.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Kevin,

Did you get the knives or hammers? I see that it's a medium duty unit that you can offset as well.

I saw recently that landpride is now offering flail mowers as well.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
This one has hammers on it.
I have not figured out how to offset it yet, i was scratching my head on that one. Do you change the lift arm position?