B2150 after rain in exhaust issue. Most likely problem?

xtriggerman

Equipment
B2150, Ford NH 555E, 8Kw single cylinder oil hammer generator
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
Iv got a b2150 that used to start and run perfect after a 2 second starter spin. One night it dixi down pouring of rain. I didnt think it had harmed anything of my tractors outside. But a few days later, I went to start the 2150 and it had a hard time turning over. It chugged a time or 2 and spit black water out of the high vertical exhaust. This pipe only has a slight turned tip and vertical slant cut. It eventually started but was blowing light blue smoke and running weak and slightly rough. After about a minute or less, it little by little clears up with a clean exhaust like it used to from the git go. Power comes back on and you would never know it has any issue at all. It still starts up immediately but smokes and takes about a minute to clear up and run as it should. I was hoping fouled injectors so I bought a set of cheap China ones and they barely ran the engine at all. So I put the originals back in and it runs the same with the smoky start up. So, what do you techs think? injectors, rings or valves? I have a compression tester but no fitting for the injector port. I'm thinking of taking one of the China injectors and boring it out to fit one of the adapters in the compression kit. IDK if I can get it rigged but maybe worth a try. What should I see for compression cold? Thanks for any thoughts or tip on how is the best way to get this engine running like before. I cant be without it running.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would bet you have bent the rods or broken the rings or both.
A compression test is your next step.
For giggles test the glow plugs they could have been damaged too.
You can buy the proper adapters on ebay or amazon for cheap.
You can do a glow plug adapter too.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Yea, unfortunately I can envision a scenario whereas the exhaust filled up and some water leaked by a valve, and when you cranked it, it did some damage.

The only good part is that it eventually ran good again, and ran like it used to, so maybe you got lucky it is the GP.

That must have been some kind of down pour.

I have never seen your set up, but I am kinda shocked that with a vertical exhaust, that this scenario wasn't thought of when designing the exhaust.

But thinking about it now, I do see tractors with buckets over the exhaust sometimes. Maybe that's why?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What should I see for compression cold?

You hope for something in mid 400 psi range

You want to get to 325 psi across all cylinders for absolute low end - lower than those, time to re-work engine.

xtriggerman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
Thanks guys, I found the 8mm glow port adapter and ordered it. I cant imagine a bad rod since there is absolutely no difference in sound coming from the engine. If its a bad ring, is the engine mounted in a way that the pan can come off without a frame section removed? I'm thinking how much work is it to push the piston up and out of the bore? I imagine if your going to fix a broken ring, you should do all 4 if it ends up with that? The high exhaust pipe looks like factory but who knows, I keep a can over it now as mentioned.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you are going to be installing new rings, then the glaze needs to be broken from the cylinders by honing. After honing, you need to wash the block to get the grit out of the micro small scratches that honing leaves in the cylinder. The only way that I know to get the cylinders clean in the tractor is to wash the walls down with a cloth that is soaked with dishwashing liquid (Dawn preferably) and then rinse with warm water from gallon jugs till all soap is removed. Then install the new rings and pistons.
I would also Plastigauge the reconnecting rod bearings and the main bearings while you are in there. New bearings are not that expensive and well worth the investment.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Some of the older tractors has a weep hole in the bottom of the exhaust manifold. It apparently worked on the L305 I bought. It set outside for about 4 years uncovered.

You can purchase a compression test kit a Harbor Freight that has all the adapters for the gauge.

Cut the exhaust off so it's square and put a flapper on it. Then it's covered no matter what.

xtriggerman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
I have a flapper on my 555E hoe and never had an issue with water. That Italian made Ford is one hell of a work horse. Can't imagine being without that digger as well as the 2150. I went on Ebay to see what the V1200 engines go for just for giggles and found out that China makes "ALOT" of rebuild kits for the engine. Soup to nuts kits for like 4-500 bucks. Must be not many are buying with these fire sale prices or they have their own copy of the V1200 and they pumped out thousands of them. China parts are far more of a gamble than not. Can't imagine taking a chance on their QC.
Thinking back on this, If I had thought this threw when it had a hard turn over, I should have stopped right there and pulled the plugs, squirt some oil in there and spun it over to blow out any water. This all more than likely would have been avoided. Once the adapter comes in I'll post what the results are. If a sleeve is toasted, thats a big problem since last I checked, the shops around here are backed up with several months of tractor work.

xtriggerman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
Well, the Ebay adapter was in fact not for a V1200 as advertised! so I ended up buying a harbor frieght kit with the 10x1.25 adapter. The sad results are the #2 back from front is only 325-330 while the other 3 are even at 445 psi. I'm going to run it this year as is and either do a short block swap with a 500 hour used engine not far from here or if I all ready have to pull the engine and strip it down, I'll check with the shops around here for a rebuild since I have to strip it out any way you look at it. The guy wants $1600 for the 500 hour unit. I'd have to see it on a compression gauge tho. My engine has 750 hours and ran like a top before this water problem. I could kick my self for not thinking about putting a can on the pipe. Thanks to all who spoke up with help. A great resource here.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well, the Ebay adapter was in fact not for a V1200 as advertised! so I ended up buying a harbor frieght kit with the 10x1.25 adapter. The sad results are the #2 back from front is only 325-330 while the other 3 are even at 445 psi. I'm going to run it this year as is and either do a short block swap with a 500 hour used engine not far from here or if I all ready have to pull the engine and strip it down, I'll check with the shops around here for a rebuild since I have to strip it out any way you look at it. The guy wants $1600 for the 500 hour unit. I'd have to see it on a compression gauge tho. My engine has 750 hours and ran like a top before this water problem. I could kick my self for not thinking about putting a can on the pipe. Thanks to all who spoke up with help. A great resource here.
My B7200 has lived outside.all its life and rain has never been an issue. Just like yours when you start it up it spits wet black exhaust for a few seconds and then clears up. In other words I am skeptical that is what caused your problem.

Dan

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My B7200 has lived outside.all its life and rain has never been an issue. Just like yours when you start it up it spits wet black exhaust for a few seconds and then clears up. In other words I am skeptical that is what caused your problem.

Dan
I'm kinda with Dan on this.

After re-reading the OP, it's worth noting that @xtriggerman says that it "clears up and runs fine".

I have a hard time picturing a bent valve or broken ring "clearing up".

But maybe I am wrong/missing something. (it certainly would not be the first time...:p)

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Considering three cylinders are 425psi and one is 25% less at 330psi indicates a problem. Is it possible tester was leaking while checking that cylinder?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm kinda with Dan on this.

After re-reading the OP, it's worth noting that @xtriggerman says that it "clears up and runs fine".

I have a hard time picturing a bent valve or broken ring "clearing up".

But maybe I am wrong/missing something. (it certainly would not be the first time...:p)
It's not a bent valve and not normally a broken ring, it's normally a bent (squashed) connecting rod that causes it.
I've seen quite a few!
It's actually very common for rods top get damaged like this.

They do appear to run "fine" when they warm up it's just because it creates enough heat to fire the cylinder even with low compression.

I've seen a B7100 D750 that had 250 to 300PSI on all cylinders, it was hard to start and when it finally did fire up, it would smoke like a train, but after a couple min you would never know anything was wrong with it.

The B2150, had a poor exhaust pipe design and also a poor exhaust manifold design that caused water to flow right into an open valve, or at least to a port waiting for a valve to open.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It's not a bent valve and not normally a broken ring, it's normally a bent (squashed) connecting rod that causes it.
I've seen quite a few!
It's actually very common for rods top get damaged like this.

They do appear to run "fine" when they warm up it's just because it creates enough heat to fire the cylinder even with low compression.

I've seen a B7100 D750 that had 250 to 300PSI on all cylinders, it was hard to start and when it finally did fire up, it would smoke like a train, but after a couple min you would never know anything was wrong with it.

The B2150, had a poor exhaust pipe design and also a poor exhaust manifold design that caused water to flow right into an open valve, or at least to a port waiting for a valve to open.
Thats good to know.

Thanks. (y)

That pretty much confirms the reason I see buckets on all those tractors in the field when I'm driving by.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
@North Idaho Wolfman , Lets presume your right and it is a rod problem.

Any idea of how long it could last?

I mean why not put up with a minute of choking and spitting and run it till it throws that rod?

Is there some sort of significant "core value" that the OP would lose?

Unless there is some sort of real "down side", I would be tempted to just run it and get as much time out of it as i could. (maybe years?)

Just "spitballin" ideas and scenarios.