B1550HST price check

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Just checked out a B1550HST 4WD for sale nearby. It has a 1640a FEL, LandPride 48 inch Box blade, Land Pride 48 inch tiller and an old three point 9 inch post hole digger. All hydraulic hoses are old, most badly cracked, some leaking. Back ag tires are calcium filled. Tractor has 1200 hrs, seller says he had HST pump replaced last year because of a bad seal. Paint and cosmetics look pretty good. He's asking $6500 - what do you guys think? I haven't been able to find much info on the tractor. Data plate says 17 HP, motor looks a lot like the one in my B7100.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dont think 6500 is a half bad price for a tractor with a FEL and some toys to go along with it. Like everything else supply and demand and the location has alot to do with current prices.

Go to Tractor Data and learn all the technical info you need to know.
www.tractordata.com

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't no about that price on that model. I would really think hard about the expense of the repair that you mentioned. Hydrolic lines can get out of hand if you have to replace very many. Tires for a small tractor aren't to bad but it still will cost. You said it had calcium in them. If they don't have tubes the wheels are going to be eat slap up with rust. Been there and done that. Wait till you walk by it one day and a pen hole blows thru. It's a strange feeling to have your tractor take a piss on you. I promise you this. It won't be thin in just that one spot from the rust. The entire wheel will look like a war zone. Simple fix you might say. Liners and tubes will take care of that. The air leak may stop but the strength in the wheel has rusted away.

It will make you put a permanent mohawk in the seat the day you're running sideways on a bank and the down hill wheel breaks. I could almost taste the seat cover From the grip I pinched on it and it hurt like hell when I broke suction and tried to do a cross between superman and a large mouth bass dropped on the side of a pond. Pretty sure it looked more like the fish.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Calcium in the wheels is something that most would never think anything about. I sure never did. Who would think that could happen. It may never happen to anybody else, I hope it don't. It won't ever happen to me again from that same reason for sure. No more calcium for me. I just wouldn't feel right not at least offering that warning.

I was lucky I didn't get hurt bad and only a few scratches on the tractor.

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Bulldog,

Thanks for the funny and important warning! Seller did say that he had tubes in the tires, I just took his word for it. Who knows if the tubes are in there because the rims are already rotten. The seat is in bad shape too. I'd need to replace that before I start getting into tight situations :)! I was thinking his price is 2,000 - 1,500 high, so I thought I'd check here before going much further looking at it.

Eric,

I checked tractordata, not much info for that particular model. Only a few posts here when I did a search too. I searched My Tractor Forum as well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I love wrenching on tractors but it can get in the wallet pretty deep sometimes. A friend or mine ruined a front tire on his New Holland. One tire cost him almost $900 to replace. The guy at the tire store told him the rear tires were $2200 each. That would get deep in a hurry.

I had a set of Bridgestone radials put on my Cat loader in 08. 13,500 ea. Tires ain't cheap.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah tractor data was kind of thin on their info. I think that website is an open place where anyone who has info on a tractor can put it up there for others to see. Not real sure on that one tho.

Maybe give Service Dept Vic a buzz and see what he may know about it,

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had the seat cover pinched to tight to soil my shorts. I thought I was going to have to soak my butt in the creek to get the cover to break loose. What a ride.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I think overall it looks pretty good. You are right about the hydro lines, they could use some attention. I also noticed one of the hard lines on the loader cross arm is bent. May not be a big deal but inspect it for nicks that might have compromised the line.

It looks as if it had been kept outside and the paint has suffered some. Not a problem unless rust is getting in there real bad and it doesn't look like that is happening.

I didn't see any body damage and all the fairings appear straight. Might just be a good deal.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yep looks like pretty typical wear and tear for a tractor that age. We see the pics but are you the proud new parent of that Kubota yet??

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
No,

I'm still mulling it over. The benefits of the B1550 appear to be the power steering, (nice with a FEL), and less hours than my B7100. Otherwise, they appear to be fairly comparable in capability. The 1550 is cosmetically nicer than my current one (gives an idea about the looks of the 7100, huh:))? I am most definately not going to be able to convince the family chief finance officer that I need two tractors, so this is a one or the other type of choice. The 7100 is already looking and running better than when I got it, so I'm making headway with it.

I have had the thought that I might be able to buy the new one, keep the rototiller, post hole digger from it. Add the bush hog and box blade from the current tractor, then sell the 7100 with the remaining implements (FEL and box blade) and maybe come out pretty close. That requires some (substantial) cash to make the whole deal work.

I stll think the seller needs to come down on his price, so I'm ok with waiting for a little while. If he can get $6500.00, then I wasn't going to be able to swing the deal anyway.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Well, if it's meant to be for you have that tractor then it will happen. It may take a while or it may not happen at all.

Do you know the seller? If not then start inviting him over for some BBQ dinners :D