B1550 with differential locked on

B1550 in Eads

Equipment
B1550
Jul 7, 2015
Eads, TN
I have a 1993 Kubota B1550. Somehow (and my sons have no idea how) the differential is locked on and I can't get it unlocked. I have tried to pull it up while not moving and also while moving slowly forward and backward. Any suggestions on what to do to get it to unlock?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A number of things to try....
Try turning while moving to take the pressure off the gears keeping the Diff lock engaged. Try slight pressure on individual rear brakes while turning. Best to do this on non paved surfaces. If you can jack up one rear wheel so that the pressure on the diff lock is removed and the lever should come off.
Dave M7040

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!

If you don't use it frequently, it will stick. It does on my B7100, but I can drive it slowly in a straight line while pulling up on the foot lever and get it to release. I then push back down, repeating the process, until it works freely.
Don't be too hard on your sons- it is easy to hit it with your heal, and unintentionally push it down.

Last edited:

B1550 in Eads

Equipment
B1550
Jul 7, 2015
Eads, TN
Thank you everyone for your advice. The tractor does not have 4 wheel drive. I tried all of your suggestions but nothing has worked yet. I did notice the the differential lock rod appears to be somewhat bent. Could that be causing the problem? I fear this is goo g to be an expensive repair if it has to be broken down to be fixed. :( :eek:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If it is external, that is not difficult or expensive to repair. If it is stuck from lack or use, it should pop back up. I would jack one side up, and have someone gently turn that tire (off the ground) while you pull up on the lever- unloading the tension on the differential might allow you to manually disengage it. If that doesn't work, the differential may have to be opened up to get to the pins. Driving it around with it locked up will do more damage, over time.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Use some penetrating oil on the shaft where it enters the tractor case.

Give it some time to work.

I suggest PB Blaster over WD-40 but anything is better than nothing.

Without further advise from the more informed posters I would refrain from prying too hard on the pedal to get it to come up. I have no idea how much force it would take to break/bend something so just try to refrain from too much force unless other advise is given.

I have a slight problem with prying too hard too often and getting things into worse condition, even when that little voice says to stop!

B1550 in Eads

Equipment
B1550
Jul 7, 2015
Eads, TN
Well my wonderful son managed to get it unlocked after working with it for about 30 - 45 minutes. Thank goodness. :D

Seriously considering disabling the lever to avoid this in the future. The tractor is used 99% of the time to cut grass and I don't really need the differential lock. ;)

Thank you to everyone that sent me suggestions and encouragement.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Give us the details of "unlocked after working with it for about 30 - 45 minutes", so it might help in the future. Thanks.

B1550 in Eads

Equipment
B1550
Jul 7, 2015
Eads, TN
He started to cut the grass very slowly and every few minutes would attempt to unlock the differential. I can only assume after being bounced around some it got to a point where the pin was able to dislodge.