Awesome dogs / Crazy pets Thread

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
All of our dogs, past and present really enjoy visiting the front porch in the evenings. Mostly in their golden years. Probably because they get free reign and we’re not too concerned about them venturing too far and out to the roadway..as compared to their younger days. The lab loves to wander around and eat dandelion and clover for some reason

20230603_185046_resized.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Lily, our lab has always had allergies. Seems to be a big thing with dogs now a days. Over the years, we spent a lot of money, switched the food many times, and ended up on a beef based raw diet with supplement, a little fruit and vegetable. Still didn’t quite fix the issues. Anyways, every now and then she would lick her paws and sometimes bite at her nails. Well, we believe she actually may have chewed one enough to break it off?? Many vet visits the past two weeks, now looking like surgery to remove part of the toe as it is not healing. Here is a pic of her with the dread cone!

20230529_143956_resized.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lily, our lab has always had allergies. Seems to be a big thing with dogs now a days. Over the years, we spent a lot of money, switched the food many times, and ended up on a beef based raw diet with supplement, a little fruit and vegetable. Still didn’t quite fix the issues. Anyways, every now and then she would lick her paws and sometimes bite at her nails. Well, we believe she actually may have chewed one enough to break it off?? Many vet visits the past two weeks, now looking like surgery to remove part of the toe as it is not healing. Here is a pic of her with the dread cone!

View attachment 104406
I've had two dogs with allergies. The first was a pit bull who was allergic to grass. She would clear up in the winter but in the summer she was in and out of the vets for steroid shots to help keep it contained.

The other was a jack Russell terrier that was allergic to fleas.

We had to be religious with the flea treatments. Usually used k9 advantix. I would program it into my calendar to make sure and give him the treatment when he was due.

If we missed the treatment it would cost us $500 at the vets office to get him cleared back up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is best to get fleas and ticks under control in early spring when you are putting down fertilizer. Buy a couple of 50-pound bags of diatomaceous
s earth and mix it with your fertilizer. The diatomaceous earth will get on the bodies of the fleas and ticks and when they run their feet through their mouths to clean themselves, they will ingest the powder and die. The diatomaceous earth will have no ill effects on your lawn and it is completely inert and nonpolluting. It will also work on ants and other insects because it is able to pierce the exoskeleton of the ant which causes dehydration. Diatomaceous earth is made from the fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms. Their skeletons are made of a natural substance called silica.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This old girl had to have two teeth pulled on Wednesday. She's only 105lb but when I picked her up from the vet she was dead weight, and it's hard to move a body when you care about the body.

maggie.jpg

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
12 years ago today we rescued Wrigley

View attachment 105014
A little over 2 weeks ago we rescued Digger. Hard to tell from the photo but still very nervous of people but a huge improvement over when we first got him...pretty much my shadow now.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Well, unfortunately our labs toe was not healing and surgery was suggested. One of the toes was removed and sent for further testing. She’s a feisty girl. One rough day and bounced right back. We are missing our daily routine of walks and other activities but we are trying to come up with other ideas to occupy the minds. She needs a bandage change every couple of days, and a boot to wear outside, plus the dread cone. Those hard plastic ones are a nightmare….I didn’t know soft shell cones existed until I did a little research. We are giving this Comfy Cone a try…

image000000(28).jpeg

image000000(27).jpeg

20230615_181400_resized.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
^^^^
Hopefully it’s an uneventful and speedy recovery for the sweet girl….

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
They always look so sad with those cones on but she's still a beauty. Hoping all turns out well and you'll all be back to enjoying your walks soon.

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
We lost our old boy on the 31st. First time in over 23 yrs to not have a dog in the house. He was my constant companion and never more than a few feet away. He live to be 14 yrs and 8 months. Hard to adapt.

Attachments

• Sad
  • Wow

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We lost our old boy on the 31st. First time in over 23 yrs to not have a dog in the house. He was my constant companion and never more than a few feet away. He live to be 14 yrs and 8 months. Hard to adapt.
So sorry for your loss John....

Reactions: 5 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Oh man I feel your pain and I'm so sorry for your loss. Time eases the pain but we never fully get over missing them. Be strong my friend, you are not alone.

Reactions: 5 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I feel for you too. :( Many of us here have lost numerous beloved companions over the years and it never gets easier, and it shouldn't. Time doesn't heal anything, we simply learn how to live with the loss. I'm sure you take comfort in knowing that you gave your lad a long and happy life and that's the best we can do.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
John, I'm sure it depends on one's belief but I believe our pets are God's give to us. How we treat them is our gift to GOD. We find solace in knowing we did our best.

Reactions: 3 users