Arthritis and maintenance

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
These last months the arthritis (osteo) in my hands has gotten to be a nuisance. No trigger pull, no pop riveter and no damned grease gun!

I just bought a used Milwaukee M18 grease gun with soft case, 5AH battery and super charger for $150. Figured the battery and charger were worth $50.

Unit has a date code for 2021 so good until 2026.

Works great and cleaned up like new. Now I no longer dread the 50 hour grease chore! Literally, had to use two hands for manual grease gun (with lock nozzle) and pop riveter (try THAT!). Guess I am heading to the glue factory.

Too bad I spent the $20 on the lock nozzle. So it goes.

Reactions: 6 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Well you’re still getting it done. On an old school grease gun with the big lever, most of us use two hands on that one. As to the $20, it’s still useful to the next person that uses the grease gun.

So why is the new to you unit only good until 2026? Is than an estimated battery shelf life?

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Well you’re still getting it done. On an old school grease gun with the big lever, most of us use two hands on that one. As to the $20, it’s still useful to the next person that uses the grease gun.

So why is the new to you unit only good until 2026? Is than an estimated battery shelf life?
I think he's reffering to milwakees 5 year warranty period, I could be wrong

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
These last months the arthritis (osteo) in my hands has gotten to be a nuisance. No trigger pull, no pop riveter and no damned grease gun!

I just bought a used Milwaukee M18 grease gun with soft case, 5AH battery and super charger for $150. Figured the battery and charger were worth $50.

Unit has a date code for 2021 so good until 2026.

Works great and cleaned up like new. Now I no longer dread the 50 hour grease chore! Literally, had to use two hands for manual grease gun (with lock nozzle) and pop riveter (try THAT!). Guess I am heading to the glue factory.

Too bad I spent the $20 on the lock nozzle. So it goes.

Get cha a lock-n-lube and making greasing stuff FUN!

Reactions: 1 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
FYI I have some M18 batteries from August 2015 that are still going strong. At one point I know how to read Milwaukee date codes, but I just engraved the date I bought them as it does 2 things, date and I am the only one in the shop(with Milwaukee) that does it. Now are you saving up for the rivet gun?

Reactions: 1 user

Watchmaker

Equipment
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
FYI I have some M18 batteries from August 2015 that are still going strong. At one point I know how to read Milwaukee date codes, but I just engraved the date I bought them as it does 2 things, date and I am the only one in the shop(with Milwaukee) that does it. Now are you saving up for the rivet gun?

I may have to. After the 4th I am going to complain to my Doc. At OT they measured my rt hand grip at 60% of normal for age. I used to make people wince. I don't mind dyin, but I really want to be like our Milwaukee batteries, work until they don't.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I also have arthritis in my hands, and go to the chiropractor for my hip problem. Before I walk out the door, he fixes both my hands in less than a minute, and they have been getting better with less pain. Only wish that my hip problem was as easily fixed.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
After a long day in the shop, my hands hurt and sometimes the trigger finger acts up.
Then my feet are sore and my back aches.
I think I need to reread my 50 hour schedule...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I also have arthritis in my hands, and go to the chiropractor for my hip problem. Before I walk out the door, he fixes both my hands in less than a minute, and they have been getting better with less pain. Only wish that my hip problem was as easily fixed.
Cheer up!
Things get even worse as you approach 83.
Even with medication, my gout is acting up again now.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Wait till you get to my age and tell me what you remember about being 83. I am long past 83 and headed toward 100. I can't even remember what 83 was like, and it was just a few months, or years, or decades ago. I just can't remember. Just before the body went to hell, the memory chips failed.

Reactions: 5 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’m not nearly as old as some here but I’ve already realized there are some activities I used to muscle through that now require more thought and use of motors or hydraulics. I recall my father telling me long ago after he found out I’d cleared about 3/4 of an acre with a bush axe and pickup truck: when you’re young you use a $25 bush axe; by the time you’re too old and busted to use a bush axe hopefully you can afford a bush hog. I now own a bush hog and the bush axe rarely leaves it’s hanger on the wall.

By the time my father hit his mid-80’s his primary method of completing heavy physical work was to text me what needed doing and ask me to put it on the list. Not his preferred method, but quite effective.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wait till you get to my age and tell me what you remember about being 83. I am long past 83 and headed toward 100. I can't even remember what 83 was like, and it was just a few months, or years, or decades ago. I just can't remember. Just before the body went to hell, the memory chips failed.
How the hell old are you anyway?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I’m not nearly as old as some here but I’ve already realized there are some activities I used to muscle through that now require more thought and use of motors or hydraulics. I recall my father telling me long ago after he found out I’d cleared about 3/4 of an acre with a bush axe and pickup truck: when you’re young you use a $25 bush axe; by the time you’re too old and busted to use a bush axe hopefully you can afford a bush hog. I now own a bush hog and the bush axe rarely leaves it’s hanger on the wall.

By the time my father hit his mid-80’s his primary method of completing heavy physical work was to text me what needed doing and ask me to put it on the list. Not his preferred method, but quite effective.
Saw this with Dad too. We thought they'd have to give up farming at some point, but he did two things:
1. Buy more machinery. Always a good idea
2. Start using his brain more than his muscles

I always remember a discussion we had with a lady farmer (she won local farmer of the year or some such). And someone said "how's she gonna grab a ram lamb and throw it over the fence." And she said "why would I throw a lamb over the fence, that's what gates are for." As you get older you have to start using your head like a woman would, instead of using muscles as the answer to every situation.

Amazing the work you can get done with leverage, chains, ramps, and a bit of hydraulic power.

Unfortunately the big C got him at 72, but until then he was going strong. Mum still has most of his equipment, amazing what she can get done with the 1.6ton Takeuchi excavator, and the old Massey Ferguson TEA with a transport tray on the back. Most things can be rolled or pushed onto the tray, the hydraulics do the lifting. Anything she can't roll the excavator will move.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Milwaukee also makes a cordless electric pop riveter.

Just sayin' ;-)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
........making greasing stuff FUN!

Be Careful..Making public statements like that could get you a one way ticket to the Looney Bin.....or at least a Senility Test.... 🍻

Watchmaker

Equipment
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
When I hit 60 my friends told me that the changes start coming very quickly. Fortunately, I had a number of friends older than me to show me how to prepare for aging. Still, it is a nuisance.

For the younger people, think about your body. Use hearing protection or you will eventually not be able to hear spring peepers or many birds.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Use hearing protection or you will eventually not be able to hear spring peepers or many birds.
But the up side to my hearing loss is that I have a bonafide excuse to readily ignore annoying people. (about 99.6% of people ) 🍻