Arthritis and maintenance

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
On the up side many things on the body can be fixed by a good surgeon! I had a right hip replaced at 38 years old, the left hip replaced at 42, the right shoulder replaced at 52, and the right knee replaced at 61! I will not fly anymore as soon as I go through the metal detector the red flag goes up and the body cavity search is unbearable!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A
On the up side many things on the body can be fixed by a good surgeon! I had a right hip replaced at 38 years old, the left hip replaced at 42, the right shoulder replaced at 52, and the right knee replaced at 61! I will not fly anymore as soon as I go through the metal detector the red flag goes up and the body cavity search is unbearable!
A true bionic man ?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
These last months the arthritis (osteo) in my hands has gotten to be a nuisance. No trigger pull, no pop riveter and no damned grease gun!

I just bought a used Milwaukee M18 grease gun with soft case, 5AH battery and super charger for $150. Figured the battery and charger were worth $50.

Unit has a date code for 2021 so good until 2026.

Works great and cleaned up like new. Now I no longer dread the 50 hour grease chore! Literally, had to use two hands for manual grease gun (with lock nozzle) and pop riveter (try THAT!). Guess I am heading to the glue factory.

Too bad I spent the $20 on the lock nozzle. So it goes.
The Lock-N-Lube nozzle will fit on any grease gun hose.
You will really love your battery powered grease gun.
I have the DeWalt, and in spite of my being old, I actually do enjoy greasing now.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Get a lock n lube nozzle. AND, get an 18 year old female helper from Sweden or China. She'll lube the tractor, change the oil, do maintenance and cleans up too.
All you have to do is provide room and board and clothing, and help her get citizenship. And watch her work.. that's the best part.

Reactions: 1 user

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Find a good hand surgeon and they can likely help you out more than you realize. My left thumb had gotten so bad I cringed getting dressed in the morning. A simple task of buttoning a shirt or worse the pants and it was like getting hit with an ice pic. It was worse trying to grip or pinch something and I found myself dropping stuff because of it. I asked around and found a highly recommended hand surgeon. He took X-rays and confirmed there was no cartilage left and there was a nasty bone spur to top it off. Two weeks later I had it fixed. It was a pain for about 8 weeks but shortly there after I could do things I had avoided for years. Now 2 1/2 years later it is 98% and I would do it again.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Find a good hand surgeon and they can likely help you out more than you realize. My left thumb had gotten so bad I cringed getting dressed in the morning. A simple task of buttoning a shirt or worse the pants and it was like getting hit with an ice pic. It was worse trying to grip or pinch something and I found myself dropping stuff because of it. I asked around and found a highly recommended hand surgeon. He took X-rays and confirmed there was no cartilage left and there was a nasty bone spur to top it off. Two weeks later I had it fixed. It was a pain for about 8 weeks but shortly there after I could do things I had avoided for years. Now 2 1/2 years later it is 98% and I would do it again.
How is your eyesight? I heard an old rumor that you could go blind if you kept up your bad habit....🤓

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
That's good to hear because I'm in the same boat and while it's leaked for a while, the sumbitch has started SINKING in the last 6 months. Most days I can't grip a screwdriver tight enough to use it. I've been getting by on Ibuprofen and battery tools, but I'm going to have to do something sooner than later, or give up working with my hands.

The scary part is that every one of my hobbies/passtimes/jobs involves manual dexterity. If I lose much of the use of my hands I don't know what I'm going to do.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Get a lock n lube nozzle. AND, get an 18 year old female helper from Sweden or China. She'll lube the tractor, change the oil, do maintenance and cleans up too.
All you have to do is provide room and board and clothing, and help her get citizenship. And watch her work.. that's the best part.
Having been to both Sweden and China, I would opt for China.
1st choice though, would really be Malaysia!

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Having been to both Sweden and China, I would opt for China.
1st choice though, would really be Malaysia!
My 1st choice was from Paris France. Damn, that little girl that we would take to the movies with us is 63 now, and her Mom would be about 85. I wonder where they are today, but that was another lifetime ago. I'll have to dig out the only picture that I have of her.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My 1st choice was from Paris France. Damn, that little girl that we would take to the movies with us is 63 now, and her Mom would be about 85. I wonder where they are today, but that was another lifetime ago. I'll have to dig out the only picture that I have of her.
My (twice divorced) French lady was 47 when I met her (71 now).
12 years younger than me.
Only lasted 20 months, before she dumped me for a Jewish endodontist with big money (she dumped him after only 8 mos.)
Then she moved on to husband #3

Those 20 months were the most delightful months of my entire life!
I shall NEVER forget!

She wanted to get married, but I was afraid of the final result.
Turns out that I was correct.
She divorced #3 as well.
Have not seen or heard from her for past 24 years.
I guess that it is better that way, or I might "fall off the wagon"!

Last edited:

JarrettTate

Equipment
none
Aug 10, 2023
USA
Wow, reading your journey with surgeries is both inspiring and eye-opening. Kudos to your resilience! I can't imagine going through so much, but it's great that you found solutions that worked for you. And the airport struggles—yikes! On a lighter note, have you ever tried Delta 9 THC hemp gummy candy? I stumbled upon them recently, and they've been a game-changer for managing some of my post-surgery discomfort. I was able to find them at trythecbd.com and it was a pleasant surprise. Just thought I'd share in case it might be something worth exploring.

• Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My (twice divorced) French lady was 47 when I met her (71 now).
12 years younger than me.
Only lasted 20 months, before she dumped me for a Jewish endodontist with big money (she dumped him after only 8 mos.)
Then she moved on to husband #3

Those 20 months were the most delightful months of my entire life!
I shall NEVER forget!

She wanted to get married, but I was afraid of the final result.
Turns out that I was correct.
She divorced #3 as well.
Have not seen or heard from her for past 24 years.
I guess that it is better that way, or I might "fall off the wagon"!
What is her first name? I will be on the look out for her if she crosses my path.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
The old story of "If I knew I'd live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!". I tell myself that story every day!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What is her first name? I will be on the look out for her if she crosses my path.
I will save you from yourself,..... by witholding that information.
If she she has retained even a modicum of her talents, finding her could be the death of you.