Area members ???

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I've belonged to other forms ( non tractor related) that had a section that sorted the members in to there regions, state, or provinces. It made it a lot easier to have a BBQ or get together when you new who was just around the corner. Or even to offer to lend a hand where more hands make light work, better yet more tractors make the job go quicker (or longer depending on distractions)

I have no idea how it gets set up in the background but it would rely on each user filling out the location accurately, not just 'Canada' or 'west coast'. I'm not talking street address, but city and state/province and country.

Would others be interested? Are the moderators up to the task?
What's the feedback?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have no idea what would be involved to make the changes you suggest, (good idea, by the way) but the current member list (under Community) can be sorted by join date, number of posts, and alphabetically, so it doesn't seem impossible.
Someone with more smarts than me will have to jump in here.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How to do it, I don't know. But i do think it would be a nice feature. I'm sure there are several members within 150-200 miles of me and I'd be glad to get together or help with projects.

Could just go by zip codes. And let the individual send PM's to make further contact.

I agree when a member list their location by a city, it's pretty ambiguous in most cases. Just as well not list it if it's not specific enough to identify where their located.

On the Antique Caterpillar Club we use to have a Spring Fling. Guys would come from quite a ways and spend a long weekend. Many just came for the comradery, others brought some equipment. Was held at a place where some work could be done, like building a pond, and everybody who brought equipment helped and even loaned their machine to others to try out. Fun time.

Kinda like the guys in the Idaho area are doing.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Great idea.
I have been to a couple of local TDI club GTG's, (Get Togethers).

Here is how they set it up. They have a section for "Regional Discussions".
Similar to the section here titled "Off Topic".

Under regional discussions they have broken into areas;
West Coast Canada, Central Canada, Atlantic Canada, Eastern USA, Southeastern USA, Midwest USA, West Coast USA, Europe....etc.

If someone wants to host a GTG they post in the appropriate place and it happens. In the TDI club regional groups have annual GTG's and the club has a national "TDIFest" on Labor Day weekend at different locations each year.

Example, The area labeled West Coast USA is grouped California, Oregon, Washington, etc

Last edited:

B Krafty

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HST
Jun 6, 2017
Pocatello, Idaho
I also think this would be a good idea. I'm in southeast Idaho and know I've seen other folks pretty close by. Feel free to message me if you're in the Pocatello area.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I don't think it would be that hard to add a ZIP code field to the user table and write a little PHP to be able to display users by ZIP code.

If I had access to a copy of vBulletin I could do the coding.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
That's great to hear all the positive feedback.

Newlyme, that's sounds familiar the way you broke it down.

write a little PHP .....

If I had access to a copy of vBulletin I could do the coding.
Obviously over my head but I'll ask anyway. What is a PHP?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Don't have to get complicated. Just say 5 or 7 threads in OffTopic like suggested and people can pop in and put their state into the matching regional thread. If they want to give more detail they can choose to add zip or more. with that a person can just use search feature within a regional thread for anyone else living in their state or neighboring. They can search a few zip codes if they like

BUTTTTTT..... must NOT use State abbreviations when posting where you live or when searching..... cause you can't search by two characters.... not even three.

Let me know if ya'll want to do this. I can set it up.... just need suggestions on Regions.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Don't have to get complicated. Just say 5 or 7 threads in OffTopic like suggested and people can pop in and put their state into the matching regional thread. If they want to give more detail they can choose to add zip or more. with that a person can just use search feature within a regional thread for anyone else living in their state or neighboring. They can search a few zip codes if they like

BUTTTTTT..... must NOT use State abbreviations when posting where you live or when searching..... cause you can't search by two characters.... not even three.

Let me know if ya'll want to do this. I can set it up.... just need suggestions on Regions.
You offered...:D
How about 3 USA, 3 Canada, 1 Europe. There's Seven Threads
USA: East Coast, Central, West Coast.
Canada: East Coast, Central, West Coast.
Europe. Europe.
I have seen posts here from Australia. I'll leave it to someone smarter than me, (which could be anyone AND everyone), to figure out the rest of the Kubota world.
I'll look at a map to see which states can go into which regions.
I'm a curmudgeon not a geography major. :D
Maybe someone from Canada can help with that region.

Edit, P.S. ..... and Sticky them threads. :)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why not do the U.S. in existing time zones. Everyone already knows the territory it covers and somewhat familiar with the boundaries. Just seems simpler.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Time zones doesn't sound bad. It would bring down the size of the region.
But if the directive is 5-7 threads there's the rub.
The USA has 6 time zones, 5 in the continental US, Canada has 6.
So I'll defer to the Mods to set up the threads.
:)

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Time zones doesn't sound bad. It would bring down the size of the region.
But if the directive is 5-7 threads there's the rub.
The USA has 6 time zones, 5 in the continental US, Canada has 6.
So I'll defer to the Mods to set up the threads.
:)
i don't care about how many threads actually... just not 50+... lol. Thought was not to sticky all of them..... which would clog up the page.. but to do a sticky of links to them like have done with the Ulitmate Readme stickies already. Much better use of space.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ramchargercentral had a map, placed a pin and when you hovered over it it presented members name.

I think it was rcc but could be mistaken.
Im less than an hour from vic gerbasi and mean jean.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Ramchargercentral had a map,....
most I have seen of these was thru google..... and that has gone by the wayside. total crash with no expectation of google bringing this feature back.