Are you going to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Unless you have some comorbidities, you have nothing to worry about. The death rate is .002% and 80% of those are people over 65 with comorbidities.
Or you interact with anyone over 65, or with high blood pressure or who are at least 50lbs overweight. (which collectively is over a third of our society) A perfectly fit person in their 20s might want to get vaccinated so as to not unintentionally infect their spouse who works in a retirement home for example. Vaccines are not just about the individual, they are about herd immunity for those who are particularly vulnerable or folks like you who are not vaccine eligible. Covid is not a particularly lethal virus, and I do not live in fear of it, but nonetheless, simple things like mask-wearing and getting a vaccine when able are really small steps for the good of others who do have good cause to fear it. I am disappointed in the selfish streak shown by so many this year. As a conservative and a Christian I was raised to put others first - where did that go? Seems like we lost that along the way. It has now been replaced by "ME", fear-pandering and political virtue signalling by both sides. This is not rocket science. Wear a mask, minimize close contact with others, get vaccinated if you and your doctor believe safe and appropriate. But alas . . .

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Unless you have some comorbidities, you have nothing to worry about. The death rate is .002% and 80% of those are people over 65 with comorbidities.
I'm not sure where you get your numbers from on that death rate but in the US (so far) there have been 17,900,000 cases with 318,000 deaths.
My math comes up with a 1.78% death rate - almost 1 in 50 that get it, its the last thing they get.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I'm not sure where you get your numbers from on that death rate but in the US (so far) there have been 17,900,000 cases with 318,000 deaths.
My math comes up with a 1.78% death rate - almost 1 in 50 that get it, its the last thing they get.
I won't argue your numbers. Different sources give different numbers. It is all in the context that one examines the raw data. Therefore, arguing the numbers will not be fruitful. I will just have to accept that you are accurately quoting your source as I am mine. Even if your 1.78% is correct, and I will accept that number, it is still far below what the H1N1 flu did in 2009. No one panicked then. What changed? The hype, that is all.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It depends on what my doctor says. I have had anaphylactic reaction to injections before and my doctor wants to know what is in the vaccine prior to suggesting that I get it. Last time I had a reaction, they used SQ Epi, IV solumedrol, and IV Benadryl to get it under control.

So, I won't be just jumping in line for the vaccine.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I won't argue your numbers. Different sources give different numbers. It is all in the context that one examines the raw data. Therefore, arguing the numbers will not be fruitful. I will just have to accept that you are accurately quoting your source as I am mine. Even if your 1.78% is correct, and I will accept that number, it is still far below what the H1N1 flu did in 2009. No one panicked then. What changed? The hype, that is all.
according to the CDC the H1N1 had 60 million cases with 274,500 hospitalizations and 12,500 deaths.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

Also according to the CDC Covid 19 has had 17.8 million cases with 320,000 deaths. Even if they are over reporting like some (EDIT: for clarification I am not saying you or anyone on here are one of them) claim they'd have to be over reporting by more than 95% to be close to the deaths of H1N1 and that is still with only 1/4 of the cases.

Source: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100klast7days

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I use the CDC for data. as far as the H1N1 flu goes:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Taking the highest death estimate (18,306) and the smallest number of infections (to give the highest possible fatality rate)
18306/43,300,000 = .042% death rate or 1 in ~25000
I think an additional 300,000 deaths (so far) is what has changed.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
according to the CDC the H1N1 had 60 million cases with 274,500 hospitalizations and 12,500 deaths.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

Also according to the CDC Covid 19 has had 17.8 million cases with 320,000 deaths. Even if they are over reporting like some (EDIT: for clarification I am not saying you or anyone on here are one of them) claim they'd have to be over reporting by more than 95% to be close to the deaths of H1N1 and that is still with only 1/4 of the cases.

Source: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100klast7days
You are comparing apples and oranges when quoting the number of "cases" between the covid and H1N1. Back in 2009, the term cases was only applied to those who were verified symptomatic. Today, cases are defined by the number of positive test results, not just those that got symptoms. Two totally different scenarios. The numbers today are meant to instigate panic. Back then the numbers were meant to prevent panic.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just turned 64 this summer but in petty good shape for my age. It's funny, 3 or 4 days a week I go out to the garage and workout with more weight then I weigh. My wife get's upset with me, telling me I'm too old to be pushing myself so hard to which I reply I'd rather die of a heart attack in my garage then die in a nursing home mainly because I watched my mother die in one last year. So we all make our choices right or wrong. The only problem with not taking the vaccine and becoming ill with it, well we could make others sick by getting the virus and spreading it and that is something I'm not prepared to deal with. Just make sure that you are well informed when you make that choice and don't let others make it for you. I wish the best for you all no matter what you decide.

Reactions: 3 users

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
You are comparing apples and oranges when quoting the number of "cases" between the covid and H1N1. Back in 2009, the term cases was only applied to those who were verified symptomatic. Today, cases are defined by the number of positive test results, not just those that got symptoms. Two totally different scenarios. The numbers today are meant to instigate panic. Back then the numbers were meant to prevent panic.
The numbers today are 17 million for Covid 19.
The numbers from 2009 were 60 million for H1N1.
60 million is much greater than 17 million.

So I don't know what you mean when you are saying that the numbers reported about Covid are inflated to make it scarrier than H1N1. Unless you are implying that 303,000 people who were reported to have died of Covid 19 in the USA actually died of something entirely different. In which case I would request some evidence like I provided with source information.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I totally disagree with you, you must be wearing blinders if you can't see what's going on right now in the world. That's it for me, I have no intention of getting into a pissing match over this, believe what you want, over and out.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It depends on what my doctor says. I have had anaphylactic reaction to injections before and my doctor wants to know what is in the vaccine prior to suggesting that I get it. Last time I had a reaction, they used SQ Epi, IV solumedrol, and IV Benadryl to get it under control.

So, I won't be just jumping in line for the vaccine.
Good idea!
That turns out to be a hot topic needless to say, and good idea to avoid. Current thought is that the trigger for the allergic reaction might be polyethylene glycol in the carrier for the active part of the vaccine, the mRNA.

After they get a better idea maybe they can give you a skin scratch test for the components to see if you react.

The third vaccine fairly high up in the pipeline, the AstraZeneca vaccine uses an entirely different approach, and so the carrier could also be different, and might be safer for you, or may be worse.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting Mary... Like I said, when I get inoculated, it will be at St. Joe's from my doctor. I don't ever see this vaccine becoming something you can get at Walgrens or Rite Aid. I won't even get my flu shot there but then I get the 'old man's' shot and they don't give that except at a doctors office or in my case at St. Joe's.

I did get a bit sick from the flu shot this year. Lasted about 12 hours and all was good after that. My wife had no reaction at all.

Not at all apprehensive about getting the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine. I've seen what Covid can do and how it kills.

Candidly, I don't give a hoot about statistics, I care about me and my wife.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Good idea!
That turns out to be a hot topic needless to say, and good idea to avoid. Current thought is that the trigger for the allergic reaction might be polyethylene glycol in the carrier for the active part of the vaccine, the mRNA.

After they get a better idea maybe they can give you a skin scratch test for the components to see if you react.

The third vaccine fairly high up in the pipeline, the AstraZeneca vaccine uses an entirely different approach, and so the carrier could also be different, and might be safer for you, or may be worse.
So three different vaccines in America so far. Sounds like they are shooting darts at the wall to me.

One should work better then the rest and IT should be used.

To me it doesn't matter. My wife brought it home (from a long term care facility) to the family and we all got it. Fortunately it was no big deal for anyone and a couple days later it was gone. We have all been through about 6 tests. I can't imagine what we are all (tax paying Americans) being gouged for it. At least 30 tests for us so far.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Since there is such a vast number of folks that will be getting the vaccine, I doubt that we will be able to choose when nor where we actually get it. There will have to be some serious scheduling logistics for the general public.

Since the topic title was "Are you going to...." my answer is yes.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
How about the increased risk of getting HIV with the vaccine?
armylifter, i respect your views and commentary on this site.... but......How is taking the COVID vaccine going to increase the risk of acquiring HIV??

You know of any documented cases of it? Any documentation stating such?

I reacted to an allergy shot 40+ years ago but nurse knew what to do and all turned out fine.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Vaccine is scheduled to arrive at my wifes work on the 31st. Governor left it up to the employer to dictate policy.

Wifes employer chose to make it mandatory for all employees. If an employee doesn't take the vaccine, they will be removed from the schedule indefinitely. 🤬🤬🤬

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
So three different vaccines in America so far. Sounds like they are shooting darts at the wall to me.

One should work better then the rest and IT should be used.

To me it doesn't matter. My wife brought it home (from a long term care facility) to the family and we all got it. Fortunately it was no big deal for anyone and a couple days later it was gone. We have all been through about 6 tests. I can't imagine what we are all (tax paying Americans) being gouged for it. At least 30 tests for us so far.
The one from Pfizer is from Germany, the one from Moderna is from Massachusetts, and the AstraZenaca is from the UK. They are private companies competing for their product to be the one purchased by the rest of the world. One will work better than the rest, however, there are other things to consider as well.

First the goal is herd immunity through vaccination which means that something like 90 or 95% of the population needs to be vaccinated or recovered from the disease. So one company making 360 million doses for the USA alone would not be very timely let alone the whole planet.

Second, since herd immunity is the goal none of them need to be 100% effective. They only have to beat the bar set by herd immunity. So if all of them meet that then there is no real downside to using all 3 unless one is significantly less safe than the rest.

Third, required storage conditions is also a major factor. If I remember correctly the most effective one so far requires super cold storage which isn't possible for all hospitals or the carriers transporting vaccines to handle making it more difficult to distribute. While one of the others only requires refrigerated storage but is less effective overall than the first. You don't want to leave firepower on the shelf just because it requires more care than the rest either.

Lastly I bet cost is a factor but since it is more of a scramble to get one made that is safe, effective, and approved this is probably clear down the list of priorities.

It is all around just a logistical problem.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The one from Pfizer is from Germany,

That is incorrect. The Pfizer vaccine is manufactured and shipped from Kalamazoo and Portage, Michigan in their facilities there. In fact, Pfizer's world headquarters is in Kalamazoo, Michigan

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My personal opinion is... It's like the common flu. Some people get it and get over it quickly, with others it lingers and with others it kills them. Problem is, until you contract it (like the common flu), you haven't a clue which category you will ultimately wind up in, it's entirely a crapshoot 100%., so if there is a deterrent to it, we will take the deterrent, just like we take the flu shot. It's a deterrent, not an absolute cure.

I also feel that the Wuflu is way overblown and has become a political football for the ruling class. I don't hear that much concern about the common flu which kills thousands every year., and.... Is this 'vaccine' a one time shot or will it be like the common flu, a yearly inoculation? I keep hearing about mutated strains, sounds like the common flu to me which also mutates into different strains every year.

Interestingly, of the people I know that have contracted it and gotten over it, all of them have suffered damage to their lungs.

My 2 cents.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The one from Pfizer is from Germany, the one from Moderna is from Massachusetts, and the AstraZenaca is from the UK. They are private companies competing for their product to be the one purchased by the rest of the world. One will work better than the rest, however, there are other things to consider as well.

First the goal is herd immunity through vaccination which means that something like 90 or 95% of the population needs to be vaccinated or recovered from the disease. So one company making 360 million doses for the USA alone would not be very timely let alone the whole planet.

Second, since herd immunity is the goal none of them need to be 100% effective. They only have to beat the bar set by herd immunity. So if all of them meet that then there is no real downside to using all 3 unless one is significantly less safe than the rest.

Third, required storage conditions is also a major factor. If I remember correctly the most effective one so far requires super cold storage which isn't possible for all hospitals or the carriers transporting vaccines to handle making it more difficult to distribute. While one of the others only requires refrigerated storage but is less effective overall than the first. You don't want to leave firepower on the shelf just because it requires more care than the rest either.

Lastly I bet cost is a factor but since it is more of a scramble to get one made that is safe, effective, and approved this is probably clear down the list of priorities.

It is all around just a logistical problem.
I agree with the thoughts you are expressing, but just to nit pick the details, the Pfizer vaccine is being manufactured just down the road near Kalamazoo MI. Astra Zeneca is headquartered in Washington DC. All of these companies have international connections. The gist of Operation Warp speed was a guaranteed purchase by US govt of so many million doses of vaccine to get drug companies to risk development money on the necessary research. I think I remember that 12 companies had successful proposals and preliminary data. No single company could make and distribute enough vaccine for the whole world. It remains to be seen which will be "best", but at the moment there are advantages to each of them. From storage and handling, allergy profile, effectiveness, and cost to produce. Choice is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.