Are my expectations too high?

Chris_in_VA

Equipment
L3901 HST, FEL, BH and an ever growing list of other stuff.
Apr 8, 2024
VA
I am in the market for a new attachment. I called a couple of dealers and they did not have any in stock, but one dealer had two on the way. I called the manufacturer to see if anybody in the general area had some so I didn’t have to call 100 different dealers.
They told me that the dealer I talked to before has actually already received their shipment. I drive there and walk around the lot and I find the two that are still in crates. I go into the sales office say I’d like to purchase one and they say no you can’t purchase it. We haven’t put it in our system yet. We don’t even know what we’re gonna charge for it yet. I would’ve thought they’d have been happy to throw it on the back of my truck and take the money.
It would have been a quick and easy $2400 sale at list price, but now I’m thinking they will call me and say it’s $2800 since they know I’m impatient.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am in the market for a new attachment. I called a couple of dealers and they did not have any in stock, but one dealer had two on the way. I called the manufacturer to see if anybody in the general area had some so I didn’t have to call 100 different dealers.
They told me that the dealer I talked to before has actually already received their shipment. I drive there and walk around the lot and I find the two that are still in crates. I go into the sales office say I’d like to purchase one and they say no you can’t purchase it. We haven’t put it in our system yet. We don’t even know what we’re gonna charge for it yet. I would’ve thought they’d have been happy to throw it on the back of my truck and take the money.
It would have been a quick and easy $2400 sale at list price, but now I’m thinking they will call me and say it’s $2800 since they know I’m impatient.
What dealer please.
I have a longtime friend who just moved to VA, and would like to give him a "heads up".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Patience man, patience! Just wait and see what he says. Nothing you can do about it anyways! ;)

You may have intimidated the sales guy. They're not use to impulsive buyers. Most tractor/implement buyers kick tires for weeks.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Chris -

where in Virginia are you located? Lynchburg area?

I am in central VA and 2 dealers near by that I do NOT think would do that - one, a very large dealership that has more orange on the lot than the eyes can see.

Chris_in_VA

Equipment
Apr 8, 2024
VA
Chris -

where in Virginia are you located? Lynchburg area?

I am in central VA and 2 dealers near by that I do NOT think would do that - one, a very large dealership that has more orange on the lot than the eyes can see.
Pretty sure that’s the one I went to. I’m up in Nelson County but the dealer on Ward Ave, I think is the one.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Pretty sure that’s the one I went to. I’m up in Nelson County but the dealer on Ward Ave, I think is the one.
Chris - I sent you a PM (private message) check the white envelope at the upper right of your screen

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee, dealer must be making money hand over fist to not bother to make the sale ! sad ,as it also says he won't care about repairing your new tractor when the time comes !!!
considering how fast news travels today, you'd think the dealer WOULD want your business.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Granted, I come from the moto world, but I can see that. Dealers get shipments but they don't know what their cost is. It's not unusual.
If the sales salesdude said it like that, it's also unusual. There are better ways to say "we just got it in and are not sure how much Mark up we need to add"

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

Seems odd they did not give you a quote to or ask you hang out and they will get a price…JMO. That being said I’d give them the benefit of doubt until they give you a reason not to. Did they offer when they would know and that they would let you know? In the meantime you can always call around and get some prices so you know what others might charge and you can let them know if / when they call, or buy one from a dealer who has one and wants to sell it to you. Again in my mind at least they were honest and did not give you some unreasonable price when you were there. To me I would have thought they give a price or take your order and let you know when it would be ready. No harm in calling around though. At the end of the day it’s your money and you can decide who to buy from. Good luck. 🥃

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Dealers get shipments but they don't know what their cost is. It's not unusual.

really ? guess things have changed. Back in my Radio Shack days we KNEW the cost/sell price points for EVERY item when it was delivered.(pre computer days BTW...). The Hobby Shack I did a lot of coding for , same deal, EVERY item had buy/sell prices...and over 5300 items in the inventory...
I guess times have changed.....

though one dealer says $2130 for the blade. US$

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
LAND PRIDE RB3772 checking online the prices on TractorHouse.com range from a low of $1750 to a high of $2130.

there is a RBT40 Series—6-Way Hydraulic Blade—Angle, Tilt, and Offset. Category 2 | 3 Pt Hitch. 8’ wide in Wayland MA on Facebook for $3650. It has been listed for 2 weeks, so they would possibly consider an offer. Just depends on if you want to make a road trip. The hydraulics are probably worth $1000 alone if you were to buy them from the dealer.

Land Pride 6 Way Blade
$3,650

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
re: Dealers get shipments but they don't know what their cost is. It's not unusual.

really ? guess things have changed. Back in my Radio Shack days we KNEW the cost/sell price points for EVERY item when it was delivered.(pre computer days BTW...). The Hobby Shack I did a lot of coding for , same deal, EVERY item had buy/sell prices...and over 5300 items in the inventory...
I guess times have changed.....

though one dealer says $2130 for the blade.
Yes, it is very different now. And vehicle sales in a dealer network were never the same as your example.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hey, Chris. I'm across the mountain from you, in Augusta County. If you haven't already, check with Beverage Tractor in Stuarts Draft or Green Hill Equipment in Staunton.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
gee, dealer must be making money hand over fist to not bother to make the sale ! sad ,as it also says he won't care about repairing your new tractor when the time comes !!!
considering how fast news travels today, you'd think the dealer WOULD want your business.
I think you might be reading a LOT into this that wasn't there.

Dealer could have offered to contact the OP as soon as possible (with respect to a sale) BUT the fact is...they can't sell something that is NOT in inventory. Just because the item is 'physically' there doesn't mean it is ready to sell.

With most systems you would not even be able to ring it up (at any price) because the 'system' would show zero inventory.

Just be patient and check back.

Chris_in_VA

Equipment
Apr 8, 2024
VA
Hey, Chris. I'm across the mountain from you, in Augusta County. If you haven't already, check with Beverage Tractor in Stuarts Draft or Green Hill Equipment in Staunton.
I usually deal with Beverage but Lynchburg had the only 2 in VA according to Land Pride. Dealer called me today with an acceptable price and I will pick up Thursday.

Reactions: 1 users