Anyone running LED/Strobe Warning Lights?

Ryanmlt12

Equipment
None yet looking at 2370
Nov 25, 2016
Central, MA
So I have been plowing my Driveway and my neighbors recently. I am in the road more often than I thought I would be. Driving to the nieghbors, Clearing the banks, getting the mail box cleared out etc...

I have had some close calls with cars being behind me when backing up, or cutting it close to me. Especially during the recent storms we had with poor visibility. I run the emergency flashers but thought it wouldn't hurt to get some type of warning light.

I went on eBay and picked up this light Led, Magnetic, 7 different patterns, 12v. I figure I will put it on the ROPS.

I think its a good idea, will keep me safer and will look cool. I also think some of my neighbors will think I'm a DOT wannabe or being ridiculous?

Anyone else running Caution lights when plowing there driveways?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Look up Paul Short on youtube.....

I think he uses something similar. Is that a yellow light that flashes or strobes???

To me those strobe lights are kinda ......freaky!:D BUT get your attention!:D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Most the light topics are in the Fabrication forum. You might search that forum for Strobe to see if any have done that.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Hey Ryan. Who cares what others might think. Being "SAFE" is all that counts.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I'm all about visibility. and I know what you mean about close encounters with cars....and trucks....and rigs. dump trucks etc. I'm actually looking into it for when I build my canopy. I find many of those canopies for sale overpriced and under built. 400$ in steel will build me a hell of a custom canopy, with lighting and updraft or downdraft fan. and something I won't be worried about getting into some tree limbs.

techcrewkevin

Equipment
Kubota - my fathers, not mine. Always looking for ways to help improve it.
Feb 16, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am running an LED amber bar on top of the tractor. Paid 100 dollars plus tax for it at Princess Auto. Has like 15 patterns to it. Drilled it into the sun canopy.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
I have found that people will do what the are going to do. After 30 years of working on the side of the road, they only slow down for blue lights, or something bigger than they are like a bulldozer blade.

Last edited:

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I thought about it for a bit. I've got a LOT of worklight on my ROPS (2 120W LED and 4 14W LED). After realizing how much light I put out, a flashing light would not do much. I do run my hazards when at the end of the driveway, I also try to stay away from the driveway when traffic approaches. I might add one after figuring out how to mow my ditch (tough slopes soggy, and has some pretty thick brush growing in it), it really is the right thing to do.

I have found that people will do what the are going to do. After 30 years of working on the side of the road, they only slow down for blue lights, or something bigger than they are like a bulldozer blade.
This statement is very true. I'm a workzone engineer for my day job, and this is one of our biggest challenges. I'll also say because of this just because you have a safety device (like a light) does not make you safe. A healthy fear is a good thing by the side of the road, once you feel safe by the road working get away from the road and think about it again.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
My son thought it was overkill putting strobe lights on with led work lights on an orange tractor.
Then he came home while I was cleaning up snow and the first thing he saw from afar was the strobe lights!

Ray

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I put a 12v cigarette lighter magnetic dome strobe on the ROPS on my BX after a close call plowing snow (older lady in a Buick locked up her brakes and almost slid into me). I picked it up from tractor supply for about $15. The magnet and fairly short curly cord irritates me as it tends to get caught and ripped off the top. With that said, I wouldn't go without some kind of strobe. I have plans to switch to smaller LEDs screwed onto the ROPS for next season. Too lazy to be bothered by the wiring at this point. People do seem to slow down a little more when I'm running the strobe. I'm usually perpendicular to traffic when I'm in the road and have noticed that the hazards are not very visible to vehicles coming at you from the left or right sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I use a strobe on my 5518 Honda with blower. My street has crazy traffic. Minnesota has a law that if your snow removal equipment is on a public roadway you must have warning lights. That includes just turning around.

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
Having spent almost 40 years working for a telephone company as an engineer and probably 75% of that time being outside in a vehicle equipped with both flashers and strobes, my experiences tell me the more lights the better. My gut always told me to turn them all off so as not to attract attention to myself, however, company policy said turn on everything you had on the rig and pray no one hit the truck. My old L185DT doesn't have any flashers, but for the most part she nevers leaves the private road we live on. If traveling on anything other than our road becomes a habit, I'll be maxing our my electrical system with every attention getter I can afford. People are crazy!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
I was fortunate and bought a Whelen responder series with a truck cap from an auction site. Topper and light with other lights and headache racks for $95. (Watch government surplus auctions) I have it on top of my tractor and if I am near the road, it is never off. Even in daylight, we have people who fly down our dirt road so I have the flasher going and the caution blinkers running. Here, vehicles that are running snowplows are required to run a yellow flasher so I do it on the tractor. I also have a 13" light bar on the front and two round work lights off the back for night work. You can not have to much caution light in my opinion. I have an open station tractor and I know who would loose in a collision (me) so I try to protect myself. Of course, teaching myself not to get to engrossed in my work and be VARY observant of traffic has taken time when having fun running the tractor. I have pulled quickly into my drive when more than one of the local NASCAR up and comers suddenly appear.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
RyanMlt12,

Did you have a chance to use the new strobe? How well does it work?

Thanks