anyone ever use one of those fixed non-spinning brooms?

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
Santa Cruz County, California
I live on a private road, 1 mile long with asphalt. My 17 neighbors and I have a road association and do all the maintenance, even paving. Of course it's not the smoothest and is sometimes loose, but we save a ton of money and it holds up fine in our mild california weather. One of our major tasks is raking out all the oak leaves from the ditches, and it make a TON of leaves. Now that I have the LX I'm hoping to put it to use so we are not raking these piles off the road for hours, but I'm worried that the tractor bucket or box scraper will pull up chunks of pavement. What we really need is a massive V-shaped broom on the bucket that I could capture all the leaves and push them over the edge at various locations. It would only get used once a year so I'm not interested in a big investment, but I am tempted to go buy 6 or 8 push brooms and fab something up. Or is just too complicated and 6 people with rakes are going to pull off the same task?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would think ONCE the "brush" builds up - it will stop being effective and possibly break the broom(s).

Would some sort of vacuum work? OR even a blower? May be costly - more so than a couple of brooms.

Could you design a "apparatus" that would "bolt" to the bucket ..... hang over 2 feet or more and then something points down into the ditch? Think of a sub soiler but hanging out over the side of the FEL....
the leaves still need to be "picked" up however.

The pull behind vacuum would kill both birds with one stone despite the $$$$

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
Santa Cruz County, California
Picture a 2x2 foot pile of leaves in a line 200 feet long. In the past 3 guys with rakes working together can push a pretty large pile down the road, was just hoping to try with the tractor. It can't be blown, since it will just go back in the ditches, so it has to be transported down the road a bit before we find a place to push it off. Might just try the bucket carefully, just can't scrape the road as it may pull something up...

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
How steep and wide are your ditches? A PTO powered blower could clear the road and blow the leaves through the ditch and back into the woods pretty easily. No manual labor involved. The leaves would be evenly distributed back in the woods along the sides of the ditch....no piles.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
How about a snow pusher with some rubber or plastic on the contact edge. I use a plastic tubed children's soccer/hockey net to move large piles of leaves around my yard much to my neighbors amusement.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Look At the EA Pine Straw rake if you decide to go that route. Made in USA and is built nicer than the imports. Mine shipped Fedex in two or three boxes, so no delivery hassle. Only drawback is it was not Quick Hitch compatible. I knew that, but fixed it before I even assembled it.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have a similar situation with maple leaves along our drive and private road. I have used the pine needle rake to clear it. However, once the pile is about 2' high, the rake is full, the tine springs flex rearwards and it starts skipping, leaving little piles. I get maybe 50' or 75' in one direction, then rake the next section in the opposite direction so I end up with a 100' or 150' clear stretch with a big pile in the middle. Then bucket the pile into the bush.

But if your leaves are already 2' deep to begin with, I don't think the rake will be very efficient. It will compact them somewhat, but I think the distance cleared before the rake starts skipping will be rather short, especially if the leaves are wet. Also, the pine needle rake works best on relatively flat surfaces. I don't know how dished your ditches are, but there is a good chance the rake would not reach down into the centre of a deep ditch.

If blowing the leaves beyond the ditch is a viable alternative, that might be the better option. 3ph mounted blowers look like a great idea, but pricey. However, even a good commercial-grade backpack blower could be faster and less frustrating. I have a Stihl BR600 that would make short work of a 200' long stretch of leaf-filled ditch. You could rent one to try.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Our township had one mounted to a pickup truck snow plow to clear loose gravel at intersection aprons. They now use a rotary broom on a wheel loader - seems to do a better job in less time.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
What about a pine straw rake?

Been using mine for 2 years now. Even fabricated a rear center mount adjustable gauge wheel on it. Just the ticket for moving a large amount of debris while sparing the surface it rakes.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I use a cheap Chinesium pine straw rake a couple of times a year to gather the leaves in the three yards and variety of other places on the property where leaf cover is undesirable. Not exactly recommending it as it’s lighter than light duty but it does the job and it just sits in the shed 363 days a year. When the leaf piles get too much for the rake, they’re big enough to pick up with the grapple. Between the grapple and rake 95% of the leaves go away. For the other 5% the zero turn finishes off the grass and blower finishes off non-grass areas very quickly.

Looked at leaf collection systems and PTO blowers. I’m sure they would be wonderful. The Chinese rake was about $350 a couple years ago. The other options, I just couldn’t bring myself to part with the $.

If you have to rake leaves, a 72” rake on a 3 point hitch is better than an 18” rake on a stick.
2A7D0042-D429-4D05-A573-84685F22EF27.jpeg