Anti scalp wheels

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guys I am wondering something here. Since the OL runs the mower down on the wheels,, if she cant see the worms arses the grass is to long,, And just having to replace them and after my own arse un-puckered at what they cost and the cheap way they put in the grease zerberts are put in the wheels that pull out when you pull off the nozzle.
I am wondering IF a hole was drilled down the axle bolt and then a cross hole or 2were drilled through it, do you think that would that work to keep it lubed? I need to figure our the hole size for the grease fitting and tap size and drill the hole accordingly. And input here guys?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Guys I am wondering something here. Since the OL runs the mower down on the wheels,, if she cant see the worms arses the grass is to long,, And just having to replace them and after my own arse un-puckered at what they cost and the cheap way they put in the grease zerberts are put in the wheels that pull out when you pull off the nozzle.
I am wondering IF a hole was drilled down the axle bolt and then a cross hole or 2were drilled through it, do you think that would that work to keep it lubed? I need to figure our the hole size for the grease fitting and tap size and drill the hole accordingly. And input here guys?
skeets , i have the big picture, but the small one is unclear.

How are they being worn out? The zerk fittings are easy, most have a tap size and some you can buy with a kit, twist bit, tap and zerks.

question - is there a hub on the wheel that could be drilled and then the zerk applied to the wheel the grease would flow through the hub onto the axle......

Attachments

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have tried to tap the plastic out but it seems that it wont hold the threads to well and taking the nozzle off the fitting will pull them out, so I figured if I do through the axel bolt and put one or two holes between the wheel housing it might work but Im not sure. And the reason the wheels get worn out is the OL wants to see almost dirt when she cuts I set the deck height and she turns it down so the deck wheels are running on the ground. They are like 23 bucks each so I'm looking for a little bit of something cause they are worn out on the axel. Now if I could find a wheel with a large hole in the center maybe a bronze or brass shim pressed in to it that the wheel might run on,, I don't know, I am just truing to figure something so they will last a little longer

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A few options:
Replace the wheels with bushing or bearing wheels. (this would be my choice). If you can't find the right ones let me know I can probably help you find them. :)

Add a bronze bushing to those wheels, Home depot has some of them or if you can't find them drop me a line and I can get them for you. ;)
You could also add a hard metal sleeve too, but again greaseing them becomes an issue.

Greasing threw the pin is great if the pin is large enough, I suspect that they are not on those wheels.
What is the pin/bolt size?

Would these work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-DECK-...115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc50a192b

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just an off the wall thought!

Take her out to dinner and tell her you decided to show her some respect. You're not going to call her "the OL" on the internet or in reference to her any more. Maybe she'll show you some respect when you explain to her why you leave the deck up.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LMAO,,, naw that wont work I tried something like before you know the reverse phycology thing, It backfired big time,, so I just let her go her way and try to put shyt back together she busts oh excuse me it's ,,,well I didn't do it you must have done it last time you used it. Like the last time the front deck wheel bracket got busted off, she said I must have done it,, problem was I was still in a cast from getting my knee replaced 2 weeks earlier and on crutches,,lol

Wolf man I will take one out and mike it, I am thinking it might be pretty close to 5/8s thanks for the link

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Drilling and crossdrilling the axles for the anti-scalp wheels will work, in theory. In real life???

What is the diameter of the anti-scalp wheel axle? You will weaken it by drilling the center out for the grease passage.

I have seen bolts (5/8" diameter IIRC) meant for leaf spring hangers like this at parts stores, meant for use on trailers. I have no idea the cost, it has been about nine years since I saw them.

Robert

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK the axel bolt is a step bolt, so the only part of the axel thats holding weight is the part that's threaded where it goes through the hanger. Since its metric I don't have a clue what size it is maybe 3/8 for comparison the part that acts as the axel is maybe 5/8 again I haven't measured them

Last edited:

kubotaman574

Equipment
BX2670 B2650
Aug 8, 2013
Elkhart In
Why are you running it on the Wheels? Can you get here to just mow at a set Height? Say one that the wheels don't run on the ground.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is there a way to lock the height, so it won't go down any further? Wife and kids kept doing that with our lawn mower. Ended up rigging a stop on the height adjustment so it couldn't be lowered any further. Then didn't tell them how to disable it :D the amount of crap they were hitting, the deck was more weld then metal by the time i was done. That and new blades and spindles every year

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Hi Skeets I've done what your thinking of doing, works great easy to grease. But the hard part is drilling the pins or bolts they're hard, if you have a lathe it would be a lot easier than a drill press to drill them. I simply figured out where the centre of the wheel is drilled the end of the pin then drilled one side of the pin to allow the grease out. I think I used a 7\32 drill and a std 1\4 grease fitting no need to use metric. Hope this helps you Barry

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Skeet, yes, it does work.. My 495 hr jd sabre has that done and I've only replaced the wheels once in all those hours. I've done that to every mower I've had, but I do have a lathe that makes it much easier.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thank you much guys,,, now to find somebody with a lathe I can bribe with a case of their favorite adult beverage;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Skeets,

It can be done with a regular ol' drill press but you have to put a bit more effort into the undertaking than if you do it on the lathe.

If the axle already has a center divot, it's easier, if not, you'll have to find center on the axle. You'll need something like a 'V' block to work with and a good drill press vice for hold down of the V block. Center can be approximated with a decent combination square set that has the 90° angled head on the ruler. Just hold the angle against the axle end and draw a pencil line where the ruler crosses the axle end. Rotate about 90° and repeat. Where the marks cross is the center and center punch it there.

Then the process is just stepping up bit sizes. Start at about 1/8", move up about 1/16th each bit and finish with final tap specification drill size for the zerk threads. Use LOTS of cutting oil.

A lathe will put the hole dead center, the drill press can get close enough. This will weaken the axle though, so you might want to only use a 1/8 bit deep and then just drill out the end a 1/2" deep on the step ups to satisfy the tap for the zerk. The axle hole only needs to be about 1/8" as well since the grease is going to press everything out!

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Like shaunr said,, a 1/8 hole is all that is needed about 1 and 1/4 inch deep and then open up the end just enough for the tap for the grease fitting.