An Alternative Home Power Source.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I say alternative referring to a dedicated stand alone unit or using a "death/suicide" cord with two male ends to jackleg power from a generator into a home.
What I chose to do is not a stand alone setup but it is also not dangerous and is fully approved and installed by my power company.

We sorta run on a tight budget so I have been researching available options for quite some time. Yes, I have been using a "suicide cord" plugged into the dryer outlet but I needed something more 'user friendly' plus being legal and safe, which the suicide cord was not. The wife can easily have this going if I am not at home.
IMG_1745.JPG

I found a generator of suitable size plus one that would run on Natural Gas which was a requirement for me. This is "Tri-Fuel" and will run on Gasoline, Propane, or Natural Gas and is the only generator that I found that had that option. I have two other Champion generators and have had excellent service from them.
IMG_1733.JPG

Next on my shopping list was a transfer switch. This GenerLink plugs between the power meter and the power box and does the switching without me wiring in a transfer switch.
IMG_1674.JPG

Underneath is the inlet for the alternate power source plus indicator lamps to show the power status.
IMG_1735.JPG

I needed to add a "T" and shutoff valve in the natural gas line. The supply line to the generator is seen on the right.
IMG_1734.JPG

The GenerLink was installed by the Power Company.
IMG_1746.JPG

Natural Gas is being supplied by the gray line on the left and the 240v power cord is on the right.

Drawback: This setup does not know when the commercial power goes out and has to be manually connected as well as disconnected when the power is restored. When I have a power failure I throw my main off, crank the generator, connect the power cord, and then throw my main back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
Very interesting, I haven’t seen the “Generlink”, before. I doubt my rural coop would offer that, but I would be very interested in having one installed.
We have a potential ice storm headed our way, I ran my portable generator today, also picked up fuel. I string cords and power strips during outages, definitely not ideal. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I actually found out about the GenerLink from my rural coop power company's publication. They did not sell or offer it, but they did install it. I had to Google to find a source to buy it and the supplier had to have verification that it was approved by my power company before they would sell it to me.

I am certainly not looking forward to our next power outage, but I am looking forward to not stringing cords.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
I actually found out about the GenerLink from my rural coop power company's publication. They did not sell or offer it, but they did install it. I had to Google to find a source to buy it and the supplier had to have verification that it was approved by my power company before they would sell it to me.

I am certainly not looking forward to our next power outage, but I am looking forward to not stringing cords.
Thank you for replying, I’m going to do some research to see if mine will allow it.

Mike

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Well rub me in pork fat and call me rancid! Great Setup and installed by the power coop too! Noice!

I like the idea of trifuel. Nice Generator! Issue for us on the left coast is they are pulling natural gas but it makes no sense. My current genset is natural and propane but I like the idea of diesel fuel too. Honestly - it’s more likely a need for me for the zombie apocalypse…….. but you never know!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

We just had the Generlink installed at our new home which we haven't even moved into yet. We are running the same size generator however it is gas and even though it hasn't had much use it works very well. Here we have a generator panel with and plug in the garage once switched over. It works very well however the Generlink should make life even easier...lol, let's hope we never have to use it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Well rub me in pork fat and call me rancid! Great Setup and installed by the power coop too! Noice!

I like the idea of trifuel. Nice Generator! Issue for us on the left coast is they are pulling natural gas but it makes no sense. My current genset is natural and propane but I like the idea of diesel fuel too. Honestly - it’s more likely a need for me for the zombie apocalypse…….. but you never know!
On the left coast, they don't like natural gas or oil. What do they like for fuel?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
How much did the Generlink cost? Did the power company charge you to install it?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I used this supplier: LINK

Home Depot has them listed but they were backordered: LINK

There are 4 different models available; 30 amp surge and non-surge protected and a 40 amp surge and non-surge protected.

One of the above pictures shows GenerLink's contact information.

My power company encourages the use of the GenerLink and there is no charge for their installation.

Last edited:

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I love my propane powered Generac Fixed Cabinet set up. It turns itself on and off as needed, no cords to worry about and it transfers itself on and off by itself. No worries about some one giving it a new home either. Only service required is oil and filter and a new air cleaner element annually.

Reactions: 2 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I love my propane powered Generac Fixed Cabinet set up. It turns itself on and off as needed, no cords to worry about and it transfers itself on and off by itself. No worries about some one giving it a new home either. Only service required is oil and filter and a new air cleaner element annually.
Yes, now you're talking.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I originally had a small propane genset that was set up for automatic transfer, but it was very limited in what it could power. I retired that unit and purchased a 4 cylinder diesel generator and installed it in the garage with a hospital quiet muffler system. You can barely hear it running, and it will do the entire home, including the air conditioning units. At the time I also installed an Asco automatic power transfer switch that is in line with the utility company service. I would manually check it once a month, and one month it didn't transfer to the generator. I called their technical service and they had me run a few diagnostic tests and determined that it was defective. They sent me a replacement immediately and didn't want the old one back. I have a friend that installs these units in factories, hospitals, etc., and he told me about a service company that could repair the defective unit. I sent it to them, and about 2 weeks later, it came back all rebuilt like new. I have it sitting near the transfer switch should I ever need another replacement. The second unit has been working flawlessly for the past 10 years. It automatically senses power loss, and will start the generator, and then transfer power to the main panel in the cellar. When the utility power is restored, it has to be on for a minimum amount of time (pre-selectable) before it will transfer power back from the utility. It then runs the generator for 10 minutes for a cool-down cycle and then shuts down the generator. I see diesel as the best fuel for a generator since it is stable and doesn't go stale. I have never had an algae problem with fuel oil or diesel and I only think that is a problem where heavy concentrations of water are present, such as a marine application.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
They
On the left coast, they don't like natural gas or oil. What do they like for fuel?
They want us on electric via solar and wind and then gasoline/diesel - in that order. Ignore Nuclear, keep denying permits for Nat gas and I believe CA just regulated all electric in all new homes - no natural gas. If you are out of the city propane is still an option. Makes no sense.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
They

They want us on electric via solar and wind and then gasoline/diesel - in that order. Ignore Nuclear, keep denying permits for Nat gas and I believe CA just regulated all electric in all new homes - no natural gas. If you are out of the city propane is still an option. Makes no sense.
Sure it makes sense, they can push the power generation into neighboring states and let them deal with their pollution.

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
My buddy owns this company and he is also a Generac dealer.

He can convert any gasoline motor to tri fuel. He has a patten on his ”motor snorkel“. It’s very simple to do. I have 3 generators and can go from gas, propane, natural gas as quick as I can change the fuel source. Natural gas is by far the cheapest most efficient fuel for generator use. However it is a little lower in BTU’s so the total wattage will a little less than what your generator is capable of. Propane is highest in BTU’s so when hooked up to it the generators produce a little more then what they are rated for. He has a load center to hook them up to so we went from fuel to fuel testing them out.

Ron

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Has anyone done this with grid tied solar in way that you can use the solar during an outage?
3 neighbours do that. course the last 2 power outages were at night.......(car crashes..poles down..)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Magicman,

I think what you want to do will work, if I understand it.

Not sure not having an automatic switchover is that big of a deal.

What is a BIG DEAL is if you forget to turn off the main breaker in you service panel, and end up putting voltage back on the system lines, which could be a very bad thing for utility people who come out to fix the service outage.

Please give this serious consideration.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Has anyone done this with grid tied solar in way that you can use the solar during an outage?
Not yet. The inverters won't run without the line voltage. My complexity is that I also have a propane generator that utilizes a transfer switch. I have been told that they are working on solutions to the problem so the generator and the solar panels will play nicely together. I also don't yet have any batteries in the system.