Adding Temp sensor

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure I am posting this in the right spot, so if not please move it..

OK so I am working on my l 1500 DT and adding an electric fan, has anyone done this or installed a temp gauge/sensor before, I can't find a spot to plug/screw one in anywhere.

Thanks
Samantha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If there isn't a plug in the top of the head, your only other real choice is add a sensor in the top hose of the radiator.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Wolfman,

Is the 1500/175 supposed to have a spot on the head?

ROFLMAO I barely have room next to the PS steering Pulley for the hose, let along a sending unit.

I have like 1/4 inch clearance for the cooling hose and the air intake hose.

I do have a new aluminum radiator though, and a friend that owns a machine shop, maybe he could drill and tap that, just hate to risk getting crap in the new Rad.

Thanks
Samantha

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey Wolfman,

Is the 1500/175 supposed to have a spot on the head?

ROFLMAO I barely have room next to the PS steering Pulley for the hose, let along a sending unit.

I have like 1/4 inch clearance for the cooling hose and the air intake hose.

I do have a new aluminum radiator though, and a friend that owns a machine shop, maybe he could drill and tap that, just hate to risk getting crap in the new Rad.

Thanks
Samantha

You wound have to have weld a "boss" to the radiator - thus having enough metal to tap for the sensor.

You have a picture of the top hose and how it is routed? I agree it is tricky but it might still be possible.

Is that a pumped water system or thermosyphoning ?(hot water rising)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a flat spot on the head right side (intake side) rear, but it might not be drilled and tapped for a sensor.

That is a thermo siphon system, no water pump, so it doesn't move a lot of water.

Adding a bung/ boss to the radiator will only semi work, there is a likely chance that it will just give you false readings especially if the water level is low.
If your trying to use that sensor to run an electric fan to cool it, It might give you odd operation.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
There is a flat spot on the head right side (intake side) rear, but it might not be drilled and tapped for a sensor.

That is a thermo siphon system, no water pump, so it doesn't move a lot of water.

Adding a bung/ boss to the radiator will only semi work, there is a likely chance that it will just give you false readings especially if the water level is low.
If your trying to use that sensor to run an electric fan to cool it, It might give you odd operation.
Hey 85Hokie & Wolfman,

85Hokie.

No it doesn't have a pump, and I have seen pictures of someone putting something in the water hose for the temp sensor, but I do NOT have room for that anywhere trust me, both hoses are like maybe 8-10 inches long with a sharp 90 right in the middle, but I will try and get some pics, (just not today, lol I'm beat).

Wolfman,

It has never run low on coolant, and never indicated it was overheating either, I have never taken the cap off with it running to see how the water flow is, but it doesn't have a temp gauge on it yet either, (thinking hard about it), but I have the new 3 row aluminum radiator for it and am going to haul it down the NAPA when I have everything ready to put the hoses back on and replace all 3, both water and the air intake, just to make it easier to get hoses that will work with the PS pump and pulley mods I have done.

I spent a good portion of today scrubbing that thing today, and yeah I noticed a several spots actually where it could perhaps be drilled and tapped, but I have also noted all the freeze plugs that are easy to get to, so I am contemplating having my buddy at the machine shop make me a thick plug and tap that to replace a freeze plug, any thoughts on that idea?

I have thought about the radiator and yes it would have to be drilled, and then a bung welded on it, but I have the same reservations with that as I do drilling and tapping the block, getting trash in the cooling system, which will be all new and seriously flush out, plus doing that to a brand new radiator ????, plus if I ever had to replace it again then the same mod would have to be done.

OK Thanks for the replies and input guys, appreciate it, I'm pretty smart and innovative but mods like that is what Paul did best.

Cheers
Samantha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am contemplating having my buddy at the machine shop make me a thick plug and tap that to replace a freeze plug, any thoughts on that idea?
There is a adapter already made that is for a block heater that might work for you.
It's not the best place to put a temp sensor, as the head is where the highest heat is at and the optimal location for the sensor.
Just so you know, there is little to no room behind the freeze plug so do not drill the plugs to get them out, just knock an edge with a punch or old screw driver, spin the plug then pull it out with pliers.

Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
If your already flushing the cooling system tap the boss on the head. Grease on the drill bit, go slow. Some guys use a strong magnet to attract the shavings. Vacuum helps. Do something similar quite often on turbos and exhaust manifolds for a promoter. Always a lot more worried about metal going trough a turbo then a few bits in the cooling system. If you keep tidy when drilling there will be very little that can actually go through the hole. If your really worried you can set up to pressurize the cooling system with air as well. Low pressure to help blow the metal back outward.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Some good suggestions here Thanks.

But D2Cat, I am a natural blonde, and for me to be my thermostat while using the tractor??????????????? LOL, seriously, there is no way that is going to happen, it's exactly why I want to "Blonde PROOF IT".

Dieseldonato, yeah I know with enough care that could be done, and if Paul were still with us I know he would jump on it in a heartbeat, and would either get it done of make more work for himself, but since I am alone on this project now, I will have to exhaust all other options before I even consider doing that, :)

Wolfman, I checked today, and found 2 different plugs in the head I think I could use, and yes I did get pics, :).

20220511_123606.jpg
20220511_123721.jpg

The first one is on the driver's side next to the exhaust, so not too thrilled with that, but the other one is on the back of the head.

Hmm, I just noticed in the pic that one of the block plugs back there looks like it needs to get pushed back in, wonder why I didn't notice that in RT.

I'm also going to post some other pics of this thing on my Fab post.

So would the plug in the back of the head work like I want?

Thanks
Samantha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
It really doesn't sound to me as if drilling and tapping is the best solution on this engine.

Rather than stay the course with a coolant immersed temperature 'sender'....you might consider going with an external 'probe'. They come in different temperature settings (on/off) and some are even adjustable.

You would want to consider the ideal operating temp for your engine and select a probe slightly higher than that (to maintain temp) or if only wanting to avoid an 'overheat' situation then one in about the 200-220°F range.

They come in different configurations, but just to give you an idea:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Is there a 'drain cock' at the bottom of the rad/lower rad hose joinery ?? If so, it'd be easy to replace with a 1/4" NPT Tee-fitting....

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
GreensvilleJay

It really doesn't sound to me as if drilling and tapping is the best solution on this engine.

Rather than stay the course with a coolant immersed temperature 'sender'....you might consider going with an external 'probe'. They come in different temperature settings (on/off) and some are even adjustable.

You would want to consider the ideal operating temp for your engine and select a probe slightly higher than that (to maintain temp) or if only wanting to avoid an 'overheat' situation then one in about the 200-220°F range.

They come in different configurations, but just to give you an idea:

Hi Flint,

That is interesting, I just wonder how well something like that would actually work? Will research it a bit, Thanks

GreensvilleJay, yes there is a plug down there for a drain, but I want to do something with it so I can reach it and drain everything when needed, the one on the old radiator is all screwed up and I couldn't drain using that when I started. Plus using that hole will most likely end up with all the nastiness settling into it, then no work, But I do appreciate your input, all ideas and suggestions welcome and considered!!!

Cheers
Samantha

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is there a 'drain cock' at the bottom of the rad/lower rad hose joinery ?? If so, it'd be easy to replace with a 1/4" NPT Tee-fitting....
that will give you a reading on the cool side of the flow ......... now if he would take readings via infrared thermometer .... he could establish a baseline as to entering and exiting the radiator thus the lower reading would be a established norm....

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Well I was just looking in the parts manual, and it dawned on me that I have not taken a really close look at the water passage on the front of the engine or to see if I could tap a hole in the side of the top where the hose goes up there, but since the hole is straight down, maybe I could drop one of my larger magnets down there and tap a hole in the side of the housing where it looks like a big ball looking thing.

I will have to take a really hard look see.

I know this can be done, and all of you have made solid suggestions, sighs, but I look at them and see flaws or reasons it won't work, or not work as well as I want.

See while I so much appreciate all the help, I am still influenced by the way Paul looked at problems or situations, sighs, he could fix anything, and had such a different perspective of how things worked, or could be improved, it was amazing to watch his eyes, his face, his .... I don't know when he looked at something like this it was like watching the gears in his head turning, and most of the time it didn't take long before he would figure it out, but there were times when he would get frustrated or drew a blank, he would usually just sit back and ponder, or he would say let me sleep on it, but he always came out on top.

I know the process he used, and I know how he looked at things, he explained it to me sooo, many times, but I think it was easier said than done for anyone other than him, right now I just can't wrap my head around everything, I don't know, maybe it's loosing him that has me like this.

Has anyone else ever felt overwhelmed?
Anyone else lost their twin brother/sister/mentor/best friend?

Sorry, I will stop crying now.

Cheers
Samantha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey Folks,

Well I was just looking in the parts manual, and it dawned on me that I have not taken a really close look at the water passage on the front of the engine or to see if I could tap a hole in the side of the top where the hose goes up there, but since the hole is straight down, maybe I could drop one of my larger magnets down there and tap a hole in the side of the housing where it looks like a big ball looking thing.

I will have to take a really hard look see.

I know this can be done, and all of you have made solid suggestions, sighs, but I look at them and see flaws or reasons it won't work, or not work as well as I want.

See while I so much appreciate all the help, I am still influenced by the way Paul looked at problems or situations, sighs, he could fix anything, and had such a different perspective of how things worked, or could be improved, it was amazing to watch his eyes, his face, his .... I don't know when he looked at something like this it was like watching the gears in his head turning, and most of the time it didn't take long before he would figure it out, but there were times when he would get frustrated or drew a blank, he would usually just sit back and ponder, or he would say let me sleep on it, but he always came out on top.

I know the process he used, and I know how he looked at things, he explained it to me sooo, many times, but I think it was easier said than done for anyone other than him, right now I just can't wrap my head around everything, I don't know, maybe it's loosing him that has me like this.

Has anyone else ever felt overwhelmed?
Anyone else lost their twin brother/sister/mentor/best friend?

Sorry, I will stop crying now.

Cheers
Samantha
Deep breaths and everything will be fine. ;)
You don't want to mess with the front as that part is aluminum and very brittle.
Instead of having a machine shop make an adapter for the freeze plug just take the tractor over there and have them drill and tap the head, would take them about 15 min to do it, and it would be completely and properly done.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Deep breaths and everything will be fine. ;)
You don't want to mess with the front as that part is aluminum and very brittle.
Instead of having a machine shop make an adapter for the freeze plug just take the tractor over there and have them drill and tap the head, would take them about 15 min to do it, and it would be completely and properly done.
Wolfman,

I haven't gone thru the entire site to see all the posts Paul made and the replies, but did you basically know him on here?

You sound allot like him, :)

Sighs, I think you are correct here but to be honest, I'm scared to death to try drilling a hole in the block or the head, I can just see having to track down and pay for another head or block and then having to rebuild the engine, and blah, blah, blah... just scares the hell out of me.

You personally have been so kind and accepting of me here, and I really hope I don't end up getting on your or anyone else's nerves, but before Paul was always able to handle these things with such confidence, but the thing is he was "HERE" and he made sure I didn't pull some stupid blonde stunt.

You do know about the twin thinking alike, reading each other's mind ect, se I don't have that now, it's like I am alone, first time in my life he has not been with me.

You know it's much different having someone on the internet tell you to drill a hole, and try to explain exactly where that spot is, than having someone right next to you that takes a black marker or punch and say there is where you drill, and then put tape around the drill bit and say don't go any deeper than that tape, ya know?

How many deep breaths should I take anyway, I am feeling a bit dizzy ATM, lol.

I just keep thinking the freeze plug thing would be mostly blonde proof, worse case I have to replace a freeze plug.

BTW, I can legally make the blonde jokes, hehe.

Wow I did it again, sorry.

Cheers
Samantha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I just ordered this for my L2350DT.

Temp Gage Kubota.jpg

I'm confident I can find a way to make it work. I am not at all comfortable not having a temperature gauge to monitor. While I don't expect by tractor to overheat......having a 'whistle' device dangling off the radiator to warn me seems a very 3rd World solution. Come on.....Kubota!

Not to mention my sense of hearing (at my age) leaves something to be desired.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, any chance you can cut the upper rad hose, install a 'T' ? Then install the temp sensor in the '3rd' hole ? Just trying to think of 'clean' ways to add a sensor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
hmm, any chance you can cut the upper rad hose, install a 'T' ? Then install the temp sensor in the '3rd' hole ? Just trying to think of 'clean' ways to add a sensor.
He says he doesn't have room ......... but I too would look into that much closer......... even if I had to remove some "parts" to get where I needed to be!

I bought a new hose when I did mine on the B7100 ............ I knew I would screw up the old factory hose getting it off.

Cutting that hose it critical too - the "neck" of the adaptor is "X" long on both sides and getting it "just" right takes a bit of patience!