add a work light.

russbuckey

Equipment
L3400, FEL, Back hoe, landscape rake, back blade, 72" snowblower.
Nov 21, 2010
burlington Vt.
Dusty-t, when you talk about runing the PTO in 2 and the rpm are 825, do you have two settings for your PTO?
My L 3400 only has one setting thet I know of , any gear,2000 ish tractor RPM gives me 540 rpm at PTO. Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This isn't Dusty but the older B model tractors had a 3 stage PTO. It was a inline 3 speed shifter basically with a neutral between each different speed.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
My B7200 had a three speed pto and a two speed hydrostat. My B8200 has a two speed pto and a three speed hydro. Wow is that medium range hydro ever nice.:D Dusty

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
Hi I would like to add a light or lights so I can see my TPH and work area at night. I have a L3400. Advice on how, where to put them and how to hook up?
Thanks.
Added two NorthernTool 12v DC LED Utility lights, 5" sealed rubber (item #127757-2101, $40 each) on the ROP positioning hole brackets. The bolt that comes with light (5/16") is smaller than the bracket hole, added larger washer to fit. I ran two wires from the fuse block, tapping into the tractor's lights hot wire and grounded to the fuse block bolt. Lights are activated through a switch installed on right PTO lever cover plastic cowling, key must be on. The 54 LED,s put out enough bright light to operate my backhoe at night. Has a very Low amp draw so no worry about draining the battery. Night picture in not very clear, added others of light mount and switch.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HOW about them LED running/driving lights? How much current do they draw I cant seem to find out what they draw so I can put a couple on the BX for plowing at night,, I have a H3 55 water on there now with a big magnet but though maybe a couple LEDs might help a lot more

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
From what I can find out the lights like ibunker is using draw about or less than 1amp. This info came from Northern Tool.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I am adding 2 more lights today.
I went to Piston Ring yesterday looking for LED lights as they were recommended to me.
$110 a piece, scratch that.
Opted for a pair of 55w flood lights.
My little tractor will be lit up like the 4th of July!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
FAILURE,,, Back to the drawing borards
Well I made a bracket for a pair of 55w driving lights, and I used two LARGE magnets set on top of the ROPS and bolted to the bracket and they didnt budge,, looked pretty good if I do say so my self, wired it up in the garage,, lights work ,,WOW,, this is great,, took the BX out for a little spin with the new lights,,, the glue that held the magnets in the metal cup seperated, Im guessing due to the temps and everything fell off,, and of course I got the ,,IF THEY WANTED MORE LIGHTS ON IT THEY WOULD HAVE PUT MORE LIGHTS ON IT,, look,, and since the BX aint got a folding ROPS theres nothing to bolt the light to! Maybe some all thread and make a couple of U bolts,, Oh welll

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
Thanks Skeets. I actually had gotten to think a magnetic-mounted light system may have been a better option, but your description makes me feel a bit better about my mounting method, as unorthodox as it seems to be. I only need them in the winter, so having a magnet assembly delaminate in the cold would definitely suck.

You might be on to something with your idea of a bolt-on bracket - using a piece of flat bar on the top of the ROPS bar with a square u-bolt coming around the bottom. Leave an inch or so extra material with a hole in it on the front past the hole for the u-bolt and you could mount your light in that hole. It would allow positive mounting, easy removal and no "compromising" anything.

Let us know what you come up with. Hopefully it will get a better better-half reaction.

Last edited:

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Skeets,

I'm not familiar with your set up but I may be able to suggest a solution.
Use a monster hose clamp which will secure the light to the rops.

Huh?
Huh?

Let me know!

IC-Smoke

Equipment
B2400, ZD28, BX24
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsford, MI
bx24, just a utility light added for scraping sidewalks in the winter. I didnt add a switch since if the lights are on I will be using it.

azzip

Mar 30, 2010
Rossville, Indiana
I have a BX2360 and was thinking of doing this. I am leaning towards the magnetic mounting of those LED's. I have used mag mounts for several things, antennas on my car and some emergency lighting and I have never had them delaminate. In fact several of them are not glued into mount at all, instead use the magnetic strength to hold the metal mount on.

I used magnets similar to 2507222 (Northern Tool #), at least 65lbs. I am planning on using two of those LED lights and run 2 wires up the ROPS and end in a weather resistant plug. I think I may do a little write up when I get a chance to do this project.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Azzip let me know how yours turns out, maybe I got a couple of bad ones. I did make a couple of clamps,,crude yes,, functional yess,, out of some junk laying around,, it held up ok but Im not happy with it,, I guess i have all summer to work on another set up,,

TimP

Equipment
B3000
Jan 16, 2012
Baltimore, MD. USA
heres pictures of my auxiliary lights and my home made mount, works for me 2 55w forward and 2 to the rear
Daniel,

That is absolutely the best and cleanest looking installation I have ever seen.

Nice work buddy !

Is that bracket some custom work, or did you find it retail somewhere.

I'd love to get my hands on one like that.

Thanks, Tim