2782B snowblower: very disappointed in ability

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Also, make sure the right and left augers are 180 degrees out of phase so they don't both dump the snow load into the impeller at the same time.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
May want to rethink that. The augers in the two pictures below are arranged to dump the snow into the impeller at the same time. With them being out 180 out it seems they'd bat the snow back and forth between the augers.

https://www.ebay.com/i/184112257291...wsD8yfT0FKshcXKd3vbPR97f1lEU6EEhoCY5UQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/184112252816...ArfwyzC7cnlS92wlwSF3DHhwZPJGSw_BoCJVIQAvD_BwE

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
May want to rethink that. The augers in the two pictures below are arranged to dump the snow into the impeller at the same time. With them being out 180 out it seems they'd bat the snow back and forth between the augers.
Kubota's seem to come from the factory with the augers in phase like your examples (mine was as well). When I rebuilt my blower I turned them 180 degrees out. I noticed with them in phase the snow would pulsate out of the shoot with each rotation of the auger. With them 180 apart the snow smoothly flies out of the shoot in a continuous stream.

As someone else suggested, add paddles to the impeller arms to squeegee the wall. I used old sidewall from an ATV tire. Mine throws wet snow 30+ feet.

Attachments

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa

https://www.ebay.com/i/184112257291...wsD8yfT0FKshcXKd3vbPR97f1lEU6EEhoCY5UQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/184112252816...ArfwyzC7cnlS92wlwSF3DHhwZPJGSw_BoCJVIQAvD_BwE
Per mfr, they are to be 180° off from each other.

My understanding is that is the way they are now.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
But have you actually checked where the impeller (rotating fan) actually connects to its shaft. Put a wrench to the set screws, etc.? Depending on how it's fastened....it can slip if something isn't properly tightened or something is missing in order to hold it fast to the shaft under load. If the snow isn't being thrown out the chute properly it would appear that the impeller isn't rotating fast enough under load. Our B2650s have ample power for a properly sized blower.

Regards,

David
To me it's less about the fan and more about not feeding.
Once snow gets to the fan, it's usually okay. If I run into a pile, it shoots snow great.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
The fan shear pin appears to be broken... The fan looks to be rotating out of phase with the inner shaft. Look at the white snow marks compared to the fan. They should be moving in unison.

If hard to tell while moving mark the components, run, stop and compare position.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks fluke, orange, I learned something. I was mislead by tech and assumed it was like the rear pto on my 3560. :eek:. For operating purposes it amounts to about the same thing, an rpm that is just below WOT. 2500 rpm gives 2500 rpm at mid pto, and 2398 for 540 at the rear.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I don't have this exact model, but a very similar one, on my BX. When the snow was wet I noticed that it would stick to the metal "safety" grate in the chute. As soon as I removed that grate, no more sticking.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
Watching the video just one other comment. It might be just due to the angle of view in the video but it seems like the blower is tilting backwards. Where the shoes are attached to the blower, are both screws at the same height? Seems like the front of the shoe is higher than the back. I think its supposed to be parallel to the blower, at least on mine it is.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Watched your video and it could be the camera but sure looks like the fan is turning the wrong way. Your fan should be turning clockwise throwing the snow upwards into the chute. Can you verify that it is indeed turning clockwise. The gathering impellers look like there turning the proper way bring the snow to the center.

I have a Airens 48" blower that I'am using on my Kubota BX 2370. Here's the thing I had it and used it on a MF 1655 GT for years. I then upgraded to a scut a MF gc 2300 .[I now have the Kubota ] I made the blower fit onto the scut only to find out that it was spinning backwards. I had to install a reverse gear box onto the input shaft area in order to make it turn the proper direction. It works like its supposed to. Unless yours is spinning the wrong direction it should throw snow like crazy. Of course your forward speed is governed by the amount of snow your trying to move.To fast and any blower isn't going to beable to blow out any more snow then it can.

OTMAN

Equipment
BX2360
Jan 13, 2020
Maine
Hi all,
New here but been lurking for a while.

I have a similar setup. From your video, your impeller is spinning the wrong direction! I can't verify at the moment but look at this video around 1:55

I can't post link yet!
go to youtube and search for "Kubota BX Series Snow Blower" is the video that is 3:23 second long watch it around 1:55

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I know which way it is supposed to spin and I believe the video is deceiving.

It is one thing I checked last season.

A) How cannot spin opposite of the augers.

B) How would the direction change?

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I agree the fan is not running backwards, but is an artifact of the camera frames per second and the the rpms the tractor/blower happens to be running at.

Fan (not auger): Can you verify both the shear bolt (20) and the bolt (19) that holds the fan drive hub to the main shaft are both 1 piece and not broken?

I'm also wondering if the PTO clutch is slipping when under load.

It would be helpful to post videos during operation if you can find an assistant.

My Dad has a similar blower on a B3030 and it works like a champ.

Attachments

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I agree the fan is not running backwards, but is an artifact of the camera frames per second and the the rpms the tractor/blower happens to be running at.

Fan (not auger): Can you verify both the shear bolt (20) and the bolt (19) that holds the fan drive hub to the main shaft are both 1 piece and not broken?

I'm also wondering if the PTO clutch is slipping when under load.

It would be helpful to post videos during operation if you can find an assistant.

My Dad has a similar blower on a B3030 and it works like a champ.
I'll have to look, but #20 is that easily accessible?
Looks like some disassembly may be required.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Should be able to get at #20 without any disassembly.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I'll pull them to check, but the bolts/pins look in tact.

Notice the third photo, the correct side of the fan blades show wear and not the backside. To me this helps vindicate the camera just can't record that it's spinning the correct direction.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Watching the video just one other comment. It might be just due to the angle of view in the video but it seems like the blower is tilting backwards. Where the shoes are attached to the blower, are both screws at the same height? Seems like the front of the shoe is higher than the back. I think its supposed to be parallel to the blower, at least on mine it is.
The shoes were in the middle position, both sides and both holes.

I raised them up this weekend after the first run and to keep from digging into my grass.

Shoes are sitting flat on the ground as I check them now.

The top of the blower is angled up from about a third of the way from the back.

Last edited:

rgk66

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
From your pictures and comments it appears everything is operating as designed and it is the snow/ground conditions that are the cause.

I have a BX with same style blower. It has the same issue blowing heavy snow when the ground isn't frozen yet. What works for me is to muddle my way thru one complete pass first, engine at full speed, creeping in low range. Once I have a path I then take half width passes (sometime even less than half) at faster ground speed(hi range). I've found this forces the snow into the augers, minimizing the snow building up in front of the blower. Once the ground freezes I no longer have the snow build up/pushing problems.
(I had to remove the chute guard to ease cleaning out wet snow chute plugging)
It seems ridiculous to only clear 2 ft of snow at a pass with such machinery but it still beats a shovel (I have approx 400 yards of driveway, in the woods, no place to push snow) and the BX is used for much more than snow removal.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I'll pull them to check, but the bolts/pins look in tact.
I agree they look to be intact. Too bad it wasn't something so easy. ;)

If you think technique is OK, which I'm assuming it is based on your prior experiences with a snow blower, don't rule out the possibility of a faulty PTO system.

If the PTO clutches are slipping when under load, the speed to the blower would be reduced hindering its performance.

Yes, this is a long shot, but sounds like you're open to all possibilities.

Any chance another forum member is close buy that could try the blower on their tractor or have a another blower for you to try?

Good luck.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
From your pictures and comments it appears everything is operating as designed and it is the snow/ground conditions that are the cause.

I have a BX with same style blower. It has the same issue blowing heavy snow when the ground isn't frozen yet. What works for me is to muddle my way thru one complete pass first, engine at full speed, creeping in low range. Once I have a path I then take half width passes (sometime even less than half) at faster ground speed(hi range). I've found this forces the snow into the augers, minimizing the snow building up in front of the blower. Once the ground freezes I no longer have the snow build up/pushing problems.
(I had to remove the chute guard to ease cleaning out wet snow chute plugging)
It seems ridiculous to only clear 2 ft of snow at a pass with such machinery but it still beats a shovel (I have approx 400 yards of driveway, in the woods, no place to push snow) and the BX is used for much more than snow removal.
That stupid guard does seem to cause more headache when the snow is wet/heavy. This is especially true when the deflector is half way down or more!!

As for the muddle and clearing only half the blower width, I kind of did the same with fair results.

Again, this just seems wrong based on what others can do(based on videos) and my other blower experience on a far less powerful set up.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I agree they look to be intact. Too bad it wasn't something so easy. ;)

If you think technique is OK, which I'm assuming it is based on your prior experiences with a snow blower, don't rule out the possibility of a faulty PTO system.

If the PTO clutches are slipping when under load, the speed to the blower would be reduced hindering its performance.

Yes, this is a long shot, but sounds like you're open to all possibilities.

Any chance another forum member is close buy that could try the blower on their tractor or have a another blower for you to try?

Good luck.
How does one go about checking/verifying this?

Again, this is a 14 month old tractor/blower and it has performed this way since day one. I have no other PTO equipment.