2782B snowblower: very disappointed in ability

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I still use my Berco/rider combo and it's next to useless with wet,heavy snow. Runs GREAT in the light fluffy stuff, very good with 'regular' snow. It's only with high moisture snow there's a problem. Yes, chute plugs up( no guard). I just blade away the wet,heavy stuff or wait a day for the snow to 'dry' out.
If I HAVE to move it, I go full throttle, super slow and get 1 full path cleared. Then ,backup,move over 1/4-1/2 width and again,fast but slow, remove more snow. Get too greedy and wet stuff blocks the chute.
You really can't compare by watching online videos, as you HAVE to KNOW how 'wet' (density) the snow is.
Some say spray PAM or sillycon onthe blower, but really how long will that last ? Maybe a hard paste wax ? ANY wear(dings from spitting gravel...) on the surface of the blower will allow a snowflake to 'grip'. One allows 2, 2 becomes 4, then several, game over....

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I have done the sprays and a couple days ago hit it with Fluid Film. I need to reapply when all the snow/ice is gone.

Have not used it since to know if it helped.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
+1 on removing that grate. Beyond keeping people's fingers in tact (not sure how that would even happen with a seat disconnect) I cannot imagine how it helps in any way. I removed it 2 minutes into using the blower the first time.

Is there such a thing as the blower turning "too fast" to a degree it just spins the snow out in front vs getting any kind of dig? Seems illogical but throwing it out there...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Orange1 -

I've watched your thread closely, always hoping I had some great advice...hasn't happened yet. Few questions came to mind.

I've had a JD, then a Kubota front-mount blower now for 17 years. I liked the JD blower better, but my BX2750D has proven satisfactory, and moved a lot of snow.

You mention you have the blower shoes set at the "mid-point" level for height? Are your blowing a stone driveway or blacktop? What is the height of your cutting edge from the garage floor as in your pictures?

My apologies if I missed or don't recollect it in the thread.

When you're blowing and it "plows" and rolls over the top, how much snow are your trying to blow??....1", 2", 5", or all the time? Do you have any pictures of the piles it builds up?

I see your in Washington State? Never been there, but sounds like snow is always wet? I'm in upstate New York, real wet snow is not something we get in big quantities (usually <3"), so my experience may be irrelevant.

In your video, looked like impellor housing was clean. It's blowing whatever gets to it. Augers are oriented just like mine. Impellor is spinning as needed.

For what it's worth, I always have to brush out the housing of the augers...it always leaves stuff in there. I also leave a bunch of snow in front of me when I back up. Doesn't matter wet or light stuff.

With a stone driveway, I'm also working at a 1"+ snowblower height. I think that does have a bearing more-so when the snow is wet. The wet stuff sticks/freezes to the ground; the blower "peels" off the upper level and it makes problems...

Trust me, just trying to help. :)

Last edited:

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I have the same setup and tractor. I’ll second or third the guard thing, take it off.
My shoes are set at their highest setting, driveway is gravel. With real wet/slushy snow I also seem to push more than blow, that seems to be the nature of the beast. As mentioned earlier make a slow first pass and then take half width pass’s after that. It has worked for me in the past. Now if we get that wet, sloppy/slushy stuff I just use the rear blade. For what it’s worth the blower really handles the dry/powder snow great, shoots a stream of snow 20-30 feet.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Now if we get that wet, sloppy/slushy stuff I just use the rear blade.
I didn't add it, but if we get <3" of wet stuff, I either leave it deal with it in a way other than the blower. I leave an inch-plus anyways -- the rest is a mess..

Sorry for the omission...

As far as the guard/screen thingy on the chute - I mentioned it in another thread that I've never taken mine off because my BX270D blower has never plugged in 6 or 7 winter seasons.

Guess it shows I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of the real wet/heavy stuff...

Last edited:

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Thanks to all that have replied and to all the suggestions and comments!!!!!

I have a gravel driveway, so I try to leave the first few snowfalls, depending on how much it snows, to make a cover for the gravel.

I had them mid point and just raised them to highest. I wanted to leave more snow as there really is no base pack, just more of an ice layer.

To that, the description of the snow sliding along that ice layer may be exactly what is happening. It's like an avalanche on level ground, just keeps sliding and building. That has been the best explanation of a possibility!!

I will drop the shoes to mid or maybe lower.

I am also thinking of adding the pipe to the cutting edge, as has been suggested. I am still digging in in some of the uneven areas.

We have not had any snow for a few days, but are expecting more in the next few day. I went out and did the driveway without incident, and in mid range at that. Granted the snow was not new, it was definitely not wet or heavy and I did spray the blower with Fluid Film that sat for a couple days. I will reapply this before the next use.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just saw this video on youtube regarding auger positioning and this thread came to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83zrvtu2GfY

I'd suggest you take a look to confirm that yours are timed right. It would appear that they do need to be 180 degrees apart. ie. one up, one down.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I went out and did the driveway without incident, and in mid range at that. Granted the snow was not new, it was definitely not wet or heavy and I did spray the blower with Fluid Film that sat for a couple days. I will reapply this before the next use.[/QUOTE]

I do believe you just found your problem ??? Mid Range ?? blowing snow , Okay so how fast are you trying to travel when your blowing snow. Snow conditions play a big role in how fast your travelling.Maybe you need to slow down.
Have you ever seen these big double auger snowblowers on the hwys blowing snow.There just crawling along also a big 80-90 " blower behind a 100 + HP tractor they just crawl along as well.

Your Trying to force a 50" wide swath of snow through a small 6" opening and expecting it to blow the snow out without plugging up or bunching up in front of the blower.

Try slowing down and let the blower have time to throw the snow out of the chute.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I went out and did the driveway without incident, and in mid range at that. Granted the snow was not new, it was definitely not wet or heavy and I did spray the blower with Fluid Film that sat for a couple days. I will reapply this before the next use.

I do believe you just found your problem ??? Mid Range ?? blowing snow , Okay so how fast are you trying to travel when your blowing snow. Snow conditions play a big role in how fast your travelling.Maybe you need to slow down.

Have you ever seen these big double auger snowblowers on the hwys blowing snow.There just crawling along also a big 80-90 " blower behind a 100 + HP tractor they just crawl along as well.

Your Trying to force a 50" wide swath of snow through a small 6" opening and expecting it to blow the snow out without plugging up or bunching up in front of the blower.

Try slowing down and let the blower have time to throw the snow out of the chute.[/QUOTE]I usually do it in low range.

I was simply saying I was able to do it in mid range this time without issue.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
.[/QUOTE]I usually do it in low range.

I was simply saying I was able to do it in mid range this time without issue.[/QUOTE]

Looks like your doing things right. I can see why your frustrated.. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
This is a long shot ..

I looked at your video again. So because of the camera making the fan look like it's going the wrong way why do the gathering augers look like there going the right way.

The augers should be throwing and dragging the snow against the back of the blower. If the augers are indeed gathering the snow and moving it towards the back of the blower then there on the right sides. If the augers are pushing the snow outwards and ahead of the blower then they need to be switched around. Right to the left side and left to the right side.

Like I say it's a long shot and just something for you to look at.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tinker - I had to look at the video again (twice). I think he's all good on the augers.

Actually, I think his blower is just fine. It's his location that is causing part of his problems.

I can't speak for Orange1forme - but I think he's figured a out a few things here he's battling with:

1. Snow is really wet. I think it's just a fact of his location.
2. He's working on a stone driveway, and leaving 1"+, just like I do.
3. He's trying to blow smaller amounts of really wet snow.
4. Snow is really wet
5. While he's moving forward - some/a lot is just sticking to the ground, and he's just pushing the more loose stuff ahead of the blower - and it's never getting into the 2nd (impellor) stage as well as a dry/cold snow would.
6. Snow is really wet...I think there's a theme, if coupled with trying to blow 2" of snow....:)
7. With Safety devices, you can't see the snow blower operate without a helper (that's my addition;))

Different tractor/blower, but I deal with same stuff. Stone drive, 1"+, etc.

But, given our location, I don't deal with much real wet snow. I seldom even try to move <3" of the real wet stuff with the blower.

I wonder if he had a paved driveway and could scrape clean if this would be an issue...I don't know because I've never had a paved drive either....

I think he's heading in the right direction toward figuring it out ....if anything else, maybe he'd look at a rear blade or similar for those smaller snow falls....

Orange1 - hope I didn't get too far afield with your original question...

Last edited:

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Tinker - I had to look at the video again (twice). I think he's all good on the augers.

Actually, I think his blower is just fine. It's his location that is causing part of his problems.

I can't speak for Orange1forme - but I think he's figured a out a few things here he's battling with:

1. Snow is really wet. I think it's just a fact of his location.
2. He's working on a stone driveway, and leaving 1"+, just like I do.
3. He's trying to blow smaller amounts of really wet snow.
4. Snow is really wet
5. While he's moving forward - some/a lot is just sticking to the ground, and he's just pushing the more loose stuff ahead of the blower - and it's never getting into the 2nd (impellor) stage as well as a dry/cold snow would.
6. Snow is really wet...I think there's a theme, if coupled with trying to blow 2" of snow....:)
7. With Safety devices, you can't see the snow blower operate without a helper (that's my addition;))

Different tractor/blower, but I deal with same stuff. Stone drive, 1"+, etc.

But, given our location, I don't deal with much real wet snow. I seldom even try to move <3" of the real wet stuff with the blower.

I wonder if he had a paved driveway and could scrape clean if this would be an issue...I don't know because I've never had a paved drive either....

I think he's heading in the right direction toward figuring it out ....if anything else, maybe he'd look at a rear blade or similar for those smaller snow falls....

Orange1 - hope I didn't get too far afield with your original question...
I am considering a rear blade. I posted a request for info between two, https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44406, the 1672 and the 2672.

There are some places the blower just does not do well and snow accumulates there and makes driving difficult.

Yes, I believe the snow sliding along and not entering the fan is what is happening. To me that just seemed like an excuse from the dealer, but maybe I was wrong.

I would like to film this, but did not have anyone around then. Now it is a different consistency and working fairly well.

I am also 99.999% sure all is running the correct direction. Now the slipping of the PTO as someone said, that I do not know how to check.

Again, thanks to all that have responded and I hope it may help someone else in the future.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It might! We are expecting 4 to 8 inches of heavy wet snow tonight with maybe a little rain on top tomorrow, followed by a cold snap, so I'll have to do something with that much slop.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It might! We are expecting 4 to 8 inches of heavy wet snow tonight with maybe a little rain on top tomorrow, followed by a cold snap, so I'll have to do something with that much slop.
So will I. We are supposed to get more rain and sleet on top of the 8" of slush. Just stuck my nose outside, it's starting right now.

Time to go to bed....lol

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
I have watched the snow slide on top of the ground. When i watched it it was caused by the giant auger gearbox up front once snow starts building up on the gearbox its a snowball effect. Literally.

For the bogging down issue check the airfilter for snow and ice. If you have not already removed the intake tube to the airbox remove it. This will prevent any snow from being sucked into the filter. Just remember to put it back in the spring.

Oh and to answer the question if a paved driveway be better? no it's not any better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

marchanna

Equipment
GR2120
May 2, 2018
Pictou County Nova Scotia
I can’t offer any more help than the others, but I agree on removing the grate. I took it off mine after the first use. I have a GR2120 with a front mount 42” blower. Here in Nova Scotia we get heavy wet snow and I used it last week when we got 23” in a single snowfall. Some of the areas I was clearing had snow 6” higher than the top of the blower and I was able to push though it. Mine in 20hp diesel and I run it WOT. It will bog down in the heaviest stuff so I just have to ease up a little.

That being said, Kubota uses different manufacturers to build their blowers. Mine is built in Quebec by Radtech. I couldn’t be happier with mine.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I am considering a rear blade. I posted a request for info between two, https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44406, the 1672 and the 2672.

There are some places the blower just does not do well and snow accumulates there and makes driving difficult.

Yes, I believe the snow sliding along and not entering the fan is what is happening. To me that just seemed like an excuse from the dealer, but maybe I was wrong.

I would like to film this, but did not have anyone around then. Now it is a different consistency and working fairly well.

I am also 99.999% sure all is running the correct direction. Now the slipping of the PTO as someone said, that I do not know how to check.

Again, thanks to all that have responded and I hope it may help someone else in the future.
I always go with the heavier implement. Its worked for me.