1.6 miles to gas station - drive it there?

SmallChange

Equipment
B6200D
Jun 14, 2018
Port Deposit, MD
I mess around with multiple 2 gallon yellow safety cans in my station wagon, and a funnel and sore back to get it into the tractor. My current tractor's small and slow and not equipped with any flashers or signage. But I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with an L2501, whose tank is much bigger. It'd be a bit safer too I'd think.

What would you do if the gas station was only 1.6 miles away (and they have diesel) -- would you just drive the tractor there to refuel? The speed limits are 35 mph.

Or is that a really dumb plan?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Do you have insurance on your tractor that covers you on the road? Is the road busy or is traffic light?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not really. I see the townies driving their lawnmowers to the gas station all the time. Just run with your hazard flashers on, on the side of the road, out of the flow of traffic.

I do the same with my ag tractors. I swing by the local filling station (they have off road at the pump) when I go that way in route to a field I farm over there and I usually have an implement on the back too.

I have a 1000 gallon bulk tank here at the farm but if I'm going that way, I fill up at the gas station anyway. It's handy and I can buy a coffee too.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Do you have insurance on your tractor that covers you on the road? Is the road busy or is traffic light?

That is a valid point. In my case, both units are insured on my farm policy and they (insurance company) knows I'm roading the tractors. I have to.

I will say don't consume alcohol and drive it. Guy got busted for driving his lawn tractor down the berm under the influence last year here. Seems as though he had the mower deck running, flinging gravel and a police car went by and got sprayed.....:eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Top road speed on my units is 22-23 mph at rated rpm and I run on 55 mph roads all the time. Don't even think about it other than being courteous to ignorant drivers who are always in a big hurry to get nowhere...

Out here, farm equipment is on the road constantly. No one gives it a thought.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Make sure it is in 2wd.
I never give that a thought. Mine are in 2wd almost all the time. Don't think I've used FWA on either more than 2 or 3 times in the decade I've owned them. There if I need it but rarely do I need it.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I road my tractor all the time, but not for fuel. I have a transfer tank in my truck that I fill every few weeks.
Make certain your machine is legal in your state to avoid problems. My state requires SMV triangle, headlights, rear lights (may have to be flashers, don't recall).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
In many states unless you are an actual farm it's illegal to take a motorized vehicle on the road unless it's registered and plated. Definitely be certain your insurance covers the machine off your property, some policies don't. Now is it something local law enforces,, there is always some ambitious upstart looking to be a richard. Mile and a half away, I'd be seeing you at the pump most likely.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Great input, all valid points and please don't even acknowledge road rage, just not worth it and that's assuming you are legal in all the above.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Alternatively, relieve your aching back with a battery-operated fuel transfer pump that fits the jerry can. MUCH easier than trying to pour and much less likely to spill. :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Had my share of Kubota's with the fuel tank filler in the hood on top. What a PITA. Mine now have saddle tanks with the fillers down low. Much easier on the back.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Heck no...not because of safety, but an L2501 has a top speed of 10.7mph. It'd take you 10 minutes each way plus the time at the fuel station! You'd be close to 25 minutes to refuel your tractor.

The L2501 has a 10-gallon tank. How long does it take to empty two 2.5 gallon diesel cans into a tractor, even completely empty? Not 25 minutes. Plus, you're burning fuel during the trip!

I do understand the awkward angles and heavy diesel cans. I refilled mine with cans for several years before buying a transfer tank and electric pump for my truck. That is expensive and probably not worth it for the home tractor operator unless you have a really big tractor. There are solutions that are cheaper, though, like a fuel caddy.

I find that if you have any hilly terrain on the road, the tractor cannot maintain it's rated top speed even at wide open throttle. The modern hydrostatic style steering is also very imprecise on the road.

Pote

Apr 3, 2019
'Murica
I may be a bit late to the thread, but I heard your original issues: Backbreaking can and fuel inside your vehicle.

Two possible solutions are 1. Sure Can makes a nifty portable can in 2 and 5 gallon sizes. It makes it much easier to lift and pour.

EDIT: I guess I cant post links cuz im a total noob so try to search Home Depot (or google for that matter) for Sure Can
https:// www .homedepot . com /s/ sure%2520can?NCNI-5

And I have a trailer hitch rack for my tahoe that I use because I hate carrying gas in the trunk. If you have a receiver hitch on your station wagon, you can get or make a little rack for cheap.

Good luck!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
"Heck no...not because of safety, but an L2501 has a top speed of 10.7mph. It'd take you 10 minutes each way plus the time at the fuel station! You'd be close to 25 minutes to refuel your tractor. "

Maybe he has an alterior motive like getting away from the missus for a while.:eek:

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I may be a bit late to the thread, but I heard your original issues: Backbreaking can and fuel inside your vehicle....And I have a trailer hitch rack for my tahoe that I use because I hate carrying gas in the trunk. If you have a receiver hitch on your station wagon, you can get or make a little rack for cheap.

Good luck!
Carrying gasoline is much worse than carrying diesel. Gas is much more volatile and also releases more vapors, which are obnoxious. Diesel is pretty safe to carry in the car, especially for a short distance like he has. Even gas, no worries for a 3 mile round trip. Just crack a window. But yeah, if you've got a way to carry it outside, even better.

"Heck no...not because of safety, but an L2501 has a top speed of 10.7mph. It'd take you 10 minutes each way plus the time at the fuel station! You'd be close to 25 minutes to refuel your tractor. "

Maybe he has an alterior motive like getting away from the missus for a while.:eek:
Lol. In that case, run at half throttle in a slow gear and just putt, and then take your time visiting with random people at the filling station.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I drive mine 1 mile just to get to the main road and if we have a storm I usually clock more than I care to. The old saying is true, there's a price to pay for everything in life, just up to you to decide if it's good for you. Only way to tell for sure is make a run or 2, you'll come up with an answer soon enough.