Today and Tomorrow's Work Force

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last year got a 15-year-old to do my trimming. First time in 31 years.

Lot of what is needed is steep and I just got to the point where I played hell for it for days....

Good kid and did a great job. I paid him ~ $20/hour, but it amounted to $50 per visit as he took about 2 hours.

I (used) to do all trimming in an hour.

He came back for first time this year today.

Asked if he could bring a friend to help.....sure, I have two big Stihl trimmers.

It took the two of them 2 hours to do what I did in one.....so 4 hours cost me $100 @ $50 each.

Granted, they're good young boys, and respective of my equipment. They were here when they said they would be.

I shouldn't be complaining for many reasons. They're both looking to save $$ to buy a car. Both said mom/dad haven't bought cars for their older siblings.

Both did a better job than I did, but geez a 1:4 ratio is stark.... :oops:

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They might be more careful doing the work since they realize that it is a tedious task to do on a slope. Has the vegetation gotten larger, thicker, or more difficult to cut? You can always go back to doing the work yourself and save the $100.

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
1=2 hours. 2=2 hours(x2). They have a future with the highway department for sure. 😉

I think I might tell the “boss” it should be 2 hours max (1 each or 2 for him) to complete the job, and see if he could keep it to that.

Or better yet, tell them it’s a $50 total job. No matter how long they take? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

Lot of what is needed is steep and I just got to the point where I played hell for it for days....

Good kid and did a great job. I paid him ~ $20/hour, but it amounted to $50 per visit as he took about 2 hours.

Asked if he could bring a friend to help.....sure, I have two big Stihl trimmers.

It took the two of them 2 hours to do what I did in one.....so 4 hours cost me $100 @ $50 each.

Granted, they're good young boys, and respective of my equipment. They were here when they said they would be.

I shouldn't be complaining for many reasons. They're both looking to save $$ to buy a car. Both said mom/dad haven't bought cars for their older siblings.

Both future union members. 😁

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Both future union members. 😁
Not sure about union.
Minors using what could be considered dangerous equipment.
Child labor law issue.
Income tax evasion.
Self employment tax and insurance requirements.
Avoiding paying a legitimate landscaper market value for the work.
What use to pass as a right of passage can now be a legal nightmare.
No one works on my property without handing me a copy of their bonding and insurance.
A stupid accident and kiss the house good-by .

On the flip side good to see the boys have some ambition !

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I might look at it another way - if they "rushed" through it and did a half ass job, you might have made them go back and fix a few spots that they missed. Maybe, just maybe based on your assessment - they did a "slow" job to make sure that you would be pleased and would want them back to do it again.

I have a few in class that are slow - their minds are not slow, their minds works circles around the others - but they take too much time to do something that really does not need a lot of precision.
I told one of them - we aint building a piano - he had no #@#@# idea what I was getting at.

Next time, watch them, they taking breaks or just being smooth and considerate?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a man tell me a long time ago, "Hire a boy and you get a boy. Hire two boys and you get half a boy. Hire three boys and you get nothing!"

If the younger folks aren't working around grandpa they probably will never see the work and pace you consider normal. Their normal is WAY below your normal because that's all they see.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Not sure about union.
Minors using what could be considered dangerous equipment.
Child labor law issue.
Income tax evasion.
Self employment tax and insurance requirements.
Avoiding paying a legitimate landscaper market value for the work.
What use to pass as a right of passage can now be a legal nightmare.
No one works on my property without handing me a copy of their bonding and insurance.
A stupid accident and kiss the house good-by .

On the flip side good to see the boys have some ambition !
And that right there is what is wrong with our legal system (ok one of several items that is wrong with it). If these had been a couple of 8 y/o, I could see the point. These were 15 y/o teenagers.

As you noted, that use to be the right of passage. I worked my butt off every summer to make extra money. I mowed, weedeated, bucked hay/straw bales, cut firewood, helped roof, helped build decks, I don't know how many gardens I pulled weeds, and I did whatever I could do to make some money.

Our system has been setup to discourage teenagers from trying and discourage anyone from supporting the activity. We wonder why teenagers are lazy and no work ethic, we have taken it out them.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I think your'e lucky that you have some 'boys' to hire! Sounds like it could be the start of a productive relationship for both of you. No one is getting any younger and that hill will be probably be even steeper next year should you try to tackle it yourself. :)

That they did a 'great job' and were 'respective' of your equipment, I'm jealous! I'm curious to know if there was any negotiation as to the final payment, time to complete the job, other expectations, etc.

I'm happy to read your story, it restores my confidence in our younger generation. Thanks for sharing! (y);)

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
And that right there is what is wrong with our legal system (ok one of several items that is wrong with it). If these had been a couple of 8 y/o, I could see the point. These were 15 y/o teenagers.

As you noted, that use to be the right of passage. I worked my butt off every summer to make extra money. I mowed, weedeated, bucked hay/straw bales, cut firewood, helped roof, helped build decks, I don't know how many gardens I pulled weeds, and I did whatever I could do to make some money.

Our system has been setup to discourage teenagers from trying and discourage anyone from supporting the activity. We wonder why teenagers are lazy and no work ethic, we have taken it out them.
No, we have indoctrinated them into believing they need a 4+ year degree and $100k+ debt to be successful. No one wants to be blue collar anymore.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was watching the kids. Didn’t want them unsupervised.

Trust me, I have been considered a little intimidating to young boys….just ask my twin daughters now in their 30’s. :oops:

These boys worked the entire time they were here, except for fuel and water stops, adding line, etc. They really did a good job.

Like I said, shouldn’t be complaining for several/many reasons.

They were here and did the job I asked them to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep… Chris got his apprentice-experience at a Union Apprenticeship Program… learned how to do the task Correctly, Legally within the Building and Nat’l Codes, had his Certifications, bought and brought his own tools appropriate for the job, and paid his taxes.

I’ve never regretted hiring Union Workers!

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it'd be interesting to hear how much time they spend ON YOUR DOLLAR, yapping on their cells or texting....
agree it should be a 'flat rate' job though.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Chuckle here.
Have a few kids that worked 'legal' jobs while in high school and then went on to BS/MBA and CPA's. They all put that 80K salary to shame.
it'd be interesting to hear how much time they spend ON YOUR DOLLAR, yapping on their cells or texting....
agree it should be a 'flat rate' job though.
I will bet that yapping and texting for them is free. Ye ole family plan with unlimited voice and data via mom and dad.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I should clarify that these boys aren’t like some of us were at 15/16.

The kid I had last year had never touched a trimmer before, let alone a larger machine.

The other kid he brought yesterday was on his maiden voyage too…..never had his hands on a trimmer. He had one with the nylon blades for a while until I switched him to 0.105” string

Again, both good kids per my 38-year veteran school teacher wife.

I shouldn’t expect production like someone with 50 years of experience.

Sometimes I forget what it’s like to be a kid.

Good opportunity for both to learn. Have to start somewhere…..

The tools. FS130 on right about 7 years old. FS131 on left, just a year old.

IMG_5873.jpeg

Small part of the project. They did do a good job.

IMG_5874.jpeg

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank your lucky stars you can get anyone to help, let alone someone competent.
I can't get anyone to work, even if I pay them too much!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I should clarify that these boys aren’t like some of us were at 15/16.

The kid I had last year had never touched a trimmer before, let alone a larger machine. He had one with the nylon blades for a while until I switched him to 0.105” string

The other kid he brought yesterday was on his maiden voyage too…..never had his hands on a trimmer.

Again, both good kids per my 38-year veteran school teacher wife.

I shouldn’t expect production like someone with 50 years of experience. Sometimes I forget what it’s like to be a kid.

Good opportunity for both to learn. Have to start somewhere…..

The tools. FS130 on right about 7 years old. FS131 on left, just a year old.

View attachment 103181

Small part of the project. They did do a good job.

View attachment 103182
I was thinking those trimmers look a lot better than the hand shears I did not get paid to use.