How do you spend your money?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
A lot of people equate price with quality or status. Or both. The biggest difference is usually that you are paying for marketing. Nike and Pay Less are probably made my the same child slave laborers in China but only Nike has to budget for athlete sponsorships.
Try plantar fasciitis and cheap shoes/sneakers on a raised floor for 12 hours a day. You will find the difference in very short order.
Getting older sucks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Getting older sucks

preachin to the choir brother.....

No matter how old we get, we don't get any younger

I've got LOTS of those 2by2 foam jigsaw pads all over the garage, makes working there a LOT better !!
They don't hold up to buzzbox welding splatter too long though....

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I spend most of my money on women and booze. The rest I end up just wasting.

• Haha

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Try plantar fasciitis and cheap shoes/sneakers on a raised floor for 12 hours a day. You will find the difference in very short order.
Getting older sucks
I have (had) plantar fasciitis since 2010. I saw a physical therapist who did treatments called ASTYM on my foot. After 6 treatments (1 each week), I have no more pain. It works.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
When I was in the 22-25 age range I was making like $5. Bucks a hour. Well maybe $6.
How times have changed. Unbelievable really.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
When I was in the 22-25 age range I was making like $5. Bucks a hour. Well maybe $6.
same here. Shop labor rate was $18.00/hr. I was making $4.25 at the time and working 13 hours a week. But the cost for gas and such was dirt cheap in comparison to "today". Still poor. I make more but stuff costs more so really didn't get anywhere, except the tax collectors get more ;)

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When I was 18-19, I was pulling down $4.95/hr. and worked 90 +/- hours a week.

Only 50 hours while in school.....

Minimum was $2.75 (?).

Lived large.....but no time to spend it. Still found time to spend it.:cool:

At 23, got a "real" job with bennies, etc. at $8 and 40 hours.

Took a 50% pay cut. Stupid me never asked how much the job paid... ;)

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I found an old check register in some things my parents saved. $950 mortgage at 23 yo. Trips every couple months. Lots of bars and nightclubs. Car payment was under $200 (for a BMW!). It was amazing how much I did with how "little" I made.
Now, it is amazing how little I do with how much I make! 🤣😬😳

• Haha

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I spend my money however I like...one thing about money, you can always make more.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
In the first part of 1990 I was newly married, taking a couple of courses to finish up my bachelor’s degree, unloading for UPS at $8/hr at night, and working 2 or 3 days a week as a $20/hr climber for a tree service. Wife and I had agreed when I graduated, one way or another, I was going to cut back to one job.

Had two offers: one entry level job as basically a secretary in an office at $6.25/hr; the other was from the tree service (a single crew operation) for a 50/50 share of the business if I’d buy a stump grinder which would have been about $5k at the time. I had the $5k but that would have wiped out my savings.

I’d never worked in an office and the tree service offer was tempting but the owner was in his 50’s and was so busted up physically he was offering a partnership to a 22 year old climber. We might have been the next Asplundh. More likely by now I’d be the busted up dude offering half my business to some kid. So I took a major pay cut for the shitty office job. Still with the same company. My goal going in was to make 10x my starting salary by the time I finished. Passed that a few years ago but figuring inflation it’s probably more like 2x. I’m a little bit creaky from my field op days. Probably would have financed a yacht for an orthopedist by now if I’d stuck with climbing trees. Back in an office now. At least I’m in charge of it instead of answering the phone.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well lets see, Doctor bills, still paying for the wife hospital ect, food fuel silly things like taxes Oh yeah and home and life and health ins and car ins, and if there is much left over stick it in an old mason jar, and hope things dont go sideways for a while

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well lets see, Doctor bills, still paying for the wife hospital ect, food fuel silly things like taxes Oh yeah and home and life and health ins and car ins, and if there is much left over stick it in an old mason jar, and hope things dont go sideways for a while
I feel for ya there. My daughter was diagnosed with cancer two weeks into kindergarten. It was long haul. Financially and emotionally. Hope your wife is doing much better now.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I feel for you, ET, there is no reason a child should have to go through that kind of pain.
My wife is beyond worrying about any thing now, she passed from cancer 3 Christmas's ago. Thank you for the thought though

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Decades ago we would pick which bill got paid and which waited for the next pay period.
This week is a family emergency. Two adult kids in the house for a week+ and the grandkid still active.
I put a debit card and a couple thousand dollars cash on the counter and said buy what ever we need or what you want to get through this mess.
Having the freedom to not worry about immediate needs is a real help.
The old saving for a rainy day saying does work.
That and having a long career that left some change after all the bills were paid. Add to that a wife that could maintain a household on what ever I brought home.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I feel for you, ET, there is no reason a child should have to go through that kind of pain.
My wife is beyond worrying about any thing now, she passed from cancer 3 Christmas's ago. Thank you for the thought though
Oh, man. I feel like a donkey. Sorry for your loss, man.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Decades ago we would pick which bill got paid and which waited for the next pay period.
This week is a family emergency. Two adult kids in the house for a week+ and the grandkid still active.
I put a debit card and a couple thousand dollars cash on the counter and said buy what ever we need or what you want to get through this mess.
Having the freedom to not worry about immediate needs is a real help.
The old saving for a rainy day saying does work.
That and having a long career that left some change after all the bills were paid. Add to that a wife that could maintain a household on what ever I brought home.
"Add to that a wife that could maintain a household on whatever I brought home".
The absence of such capability destroys marriages/families by the thousands.
I have a son whose wife just loves to build credit card charges.
He has her cancel the cards,......she opens new ones,..... and the cycle repeats!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Our society today leaves out the important elements in financial education. No such thing as delayed gratification, got to have it now. They don't learn to save and to start early, or the value of it. Don't know about compound interest or understand the rule of 72. Grow up figuring social security will carry them to their resting place, and if so they end up with little. They make comments like, "I'm on a fixed income."

Basic principle: When your outgo exceeds your income you're upkeep becomes your downfall.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
"Add to that a wife that could maintain a household on whatever I brought home".
The absence of such capability destroys marriages/families by the thousands.
I have a son whose wife just loves to build credit card charges.
He has her cancel the cards,......she opens new ones,..... and the cycle repeats!
I’ve been very blessed in that area. Wife is tighter with a dollar than I am and we both agreed from day one no matter how much or little we had coming in we’d always have at least a little less going out. She leaves investment type stuff to me but she’s a hell of a cash manager.