Ripper tooth storage solution in need of a problem.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I usually just keep the ripper tooth in the bed of my truck....No problem, so no solution is needed.........BUT.....

As I was admiring my fork storage install, it hits me....Hey dummy, Why don't you make a cool ripper tooth pocket for the trailer????

To the plasma cutter Batman!!!!!

The first pic is the original idea. (upside down). you can see that it sits a little proud of the top, and although I'm reasonable confident that it would not bounce out, it looked bad.

Then I get the idea to make a "relief" cut with the plasma cutter so it sits deeper.

(BTW freehanding with a plasma cutter in shorts and tennis shoes is NOT OSHA approved and a little painful..:unsure:)

second pic shows proof of concept...back to the plasma cutter to open her up all the way.

I also decide to use the starboard side of the trailer in order to "balance out" the trailer set up.

20230514_102018[1].jpg

20230514_103149[1].jpg
20230514_104739[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Not pictured, but using the plasma cutter heated the part up and when I finished the cut, the heat differential immediately made the part close up like a clam.

So a little persuasion with the BFH, and she opened back up nicely.

Then a little grinding to smooth it out.

Second pic is the test fit.

20230514_104739[1].jpg

20230514_104658[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The welding was a bit problematic. I totally forgot to check the thickness of the rail tube.

Turns out that that tube was considerably thinner than the frame C-channel.

So as I was running the bead, something seemed off....I just couldn't put my finger on it.....Hmmm?????

Ahhh yes dumbass....its the holes you are blowing in the fu^^ing tube!!!!

I was able to go back and "spot weld" those areas, but it made the weld look like crap.

Oh well, a little paint should cover it up.

Now she sits nice and flush, and as a luck would have it, the little nubs act as arms to block it from moving too far forward when braking.

20230514_110320[1].jpg

20230514_110352[1].jpg
20230514_110408[1].jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Here she is in all her glory, all painted up and ready to go.

20230514_121034[1].jpg

Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks like it might need another pocket at the bottom to stabilize it when going over rough roads.

Hope no one ever steals your trailer!

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
That's great! Can you throw up a few pics of your pallet fork setup?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looks like it might need another pocket at the bottom to stabilize it when going over rough roads.

Hope no one ever steals your trailer!

I was thinking the same thing possibly.

I will keep my eye on it, and reevaluate at a later point.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I usually just keep the ripper tooth in the bed of my truck....No problem, so no solution is needed.........BUT.....

As I was admiring my fork storage install, it hits me....Hey dummy, Why don't you make a cool ripper tooth pocket for the trailer????

To the plasma cutter Batman!!!!!

The first pic is the original idea. (upside down). you can see that it sits a little proud of the top, and although I'm reasonable confident that it would not bounce out, it looked bad.

Then I get the idea to make a "relief" cut with the plasma cutter so it sits deeper.

(BTW freehanding with a plasma cutter in shorts and tennis shoes is NOT OSHA approved and a little painful..:unsure:)

second pic shows proof of concept...back to the plasma cutter to open her up all the way.

I also decide to use the starboard side of the trailer in order to "balance out" the trailer set up.

View attachment 102566

View attachment 102567 View attachment 102568
Great idea !

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
A little off topic - how do you like that ripper tooth design? I'm about to fab something up and am considering options. That back facing hook isn't something I've considered before, do you use it?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
....No problem, so no solution is needed.........BUT....
My wife says if I quite doing just that I'd be much farther along on my to-do list. She'll see me on some project, roll her eyes, and as she walks away she'll mumble "if it ain't broke, you'll work on it till it is".
The ripper pocket may not be needed, but it sure looks good.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Those gussets are going to spread the open end of the tube apart when going down a rough road. Possibly causing the tooth to wedge itself in. Need a ‘U’ shaped strap on the open end to keep that from happening.

Looking at the spatter from your welds the voltage is set too high. Turn it down until it sounds like bacon frying and then use a weaving pattern for your fillet. You obviously have the eyes to be a very good welder! I could have you squared away in an hour with a lesson. If only we were closer.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
A little off topic - how do you like that ripper tooth design? I'm about to fab something up and am considering options. That back facing hook isn't something I've considered before, do you use it?
I have used it. Mainly for sweeping back and forth trying to rip medium to smaller roots. I think it's worth having.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Those gussets are going to spread the open end of the tube apart when going down a rough road. Possibly causing the tooth to wedge itself in. Need a ‘U’ shaped strap on the open end to keep that from happening.

Looking at the spatter from your welds the voltage is set too high. Turn it down until it sounds like bacon frying and then use a weaving pattern for your fillet. You obviously have the eyes to be a very good welder! I could have you squared away in an hour with a lesson. If only we were closer.
Thanks for the compliment.

I had not thought of the spreading problem. I will monitor it.

I sure wish I had taken a close up picture of the angled welds.....You would have been proud..LOL

Could the wind have been a factor causing the spatter? I ask this because I don't remember changing the settings for the machine, but they turned out great. Very little spatter and very even spacing. It almost looked like a machine did it.

I usually try to use a 'cursive e' pattern in most situations except when doing a cover pass, then I try to weave it, like you say.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
another great idea i may have to steal.... i have a ripper for mine. i usually just toss it into the truck bed tool box i bolted to the tongue of the trailer.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
another great idea i may have to steal.... i have a ripper for mine. i usually just toss it into the truck bed tool box i bolted to the tongue of the trailer.
Hahah.....That basically what I did; Hence the "Solution looking for a problem' title.