Quit forking around and just build it!!!!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have been meaning to add pallet fork storage for a little while, and since I have 123,976 things to "get too" I have been putting it off.

Well in the meantime, I was putting the forks in my truck bed the other day and yep, I dinged the truck. Nothing major, but I was still pissed.

I had ordered some 3X6 3/16 tube a while ago for this project, so off we go.

It took this little saw about 8 minutes to make each cut, so I would go do some prep work in-between cuts.

As you can see it was all this little saw could take.

20230514_082801[1].jpg
20230514_083128[1].jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I had originally wanted to cut out rectangles in the C channel and insert the tubes for a more refined "flush look".

However, that was going to complicate things a bit and would make me have to weld vertically. After a few vertical "test welds" I decided that I don't want to see my forks tumbling down the freeway at 65 mph, and my test welds prove that welding a vertical surface is not in my wheel house quite yet.

Therefore, I decided to just "hang" them so I could weld on a horizontal surface.

I knew access to the backside was going to be somewhat problematic, but I figured the front welds would be strong enough to make up for it.

Here are the prepped pieces, and the aft fork tube mocked up and test fit.

The forward tube had to be longer due to the angle of the trailer frame.
20230514_092710[1].jpg
20230514_092704[1].jpg
20230514_093440[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Even though I know better, I decided to just go ahead and weld them on without test fitting the forks first.

I can't get the trailer into my garage, due to the hoist getting in the way, so I got as close to the garage door as I could and remembered back to my long range shooting days and tried to make good "wind calls".

3/16 is not out of range for my machine, but I was not crazy about my first pass, so I decided to play it safe and make multiple passes.

The 2nd and 3rd passes came out acceptable, although there was more spatter than I would have liked, I do feel confident in these welds.

20230514_094543[1].jpg

20230514_095459[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've got the 'red' version of your 4by6 saw, actually TWO of them. Great little beasties if you run the bimetal blades they cut and cut and cut and.... There's several websites devoted to them ! I bolted mine to a cart that also carries the AC-225 stick welder around the shop.

NICE to see 'problem solving' SOLUTIONS that don't break the bank !
The 'fun' part will be crawling underneath to paint the new steel.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
As you can see, the trailer frame angles inward so in order to keep the fork tubes on the "same plane", I cut it longer.

I have no idea if being on the same plane has any effect structurally, it just makes me feel better.

I suppose it also creates a longer weld too, possibly adding strength. (I dunno)

I tried to get the deck board off to access the back side, but that was 'no bueno'.....So the inboard welds were made semi-blind, and due to me constantly forgetting things, I was on my back more times than a 5 dollar hooker at mining camp.

Although they are nothing to brag about for sure, they should help a little.

The 2nd and third passes on the top angled welds came out beautiful, but as I review my pics, it appears that I was so busy patting myself on the back, I forgot to take a pic. :mad:

20230514_100706[1].jpg
20230514_101503[1].jpg
20230514_095318[1].jpg

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I've got the 'red' version of your 4by6 saw, actually TWO of them. Great little beasties if you run the bimetal blades they cut and cut and cut and.... There's several websites devoted to them ! I bolted mine to a cart that also carries the AC-225 stick welder around the shop.

NICE to see 'problem solving' SOLUTIONS that don't break the bank !
The 'fun' part will be crawling underneath to paint the new steel.
I agree. Pound for pound, that little saw is top notch.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Painting is my weak suit for sure, but I will say that the "Rust-Olem 2X" paint, although it's pricey, it works great.

If you look "real close" at the top pic, you can see my beautiful 2nd and 3rd passes on the forward angle weld. Hahahaha

After testing it out, I am very pleased with this solution.

I will say is this. The instant I was lining the forks up, it hit me.

Why didn't I just make one long tube from flat stock, instead of 2 tubes? That way I would never have to worry about how the forks are spaced?......Oh well, I'm still happy that I don't have to worry about dinging the truck anymore.

Paul

20230514_102009[1].jpg
20230514_114319[1].jpg
20230514_112529[1].jpg
20230514_112541[1].jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
thats awesome! i have that exact same task on my to do list. same spot on my 7x18. as the other side has the spare tire. you just going to use a strap to hold them on? i was thinking of having a pin lock for mine.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
thats awesome! i have that exact same task on my to do list. same spot on my 7x18. as the other side has the spare tire. you just going to use a strap to hold them on? i was thinking of having a pin lock for mine.
I was going to use a strap originally; However, during the "jump up and down shake it like hell" scientific testing, the corner of the backing plate was clearly "sawing" through the strap.

Therefore I have decided on using a chain and chain binder.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible 'upgrade'...
some thick foam rubber on the top rail where the FL frame meets it ?

I older I get ,the less I can stand clack,clack ,bang,bangs going down the road.....;)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
possible 'upgrade'...
some thick foam rubber on the top rail where the FL frame meets it ?

I older I get ,the less I can stand clack,clack ,bang,bangs going down the road.....;)
Jay, my truck is a 17 year old Ram with a Cummins and a G56 6 speed manual trans and AFE intake to give it that Big Rig whine....... the exhaust fell off about 10 years ago and I haven't had the chance to replace it yet, so a little banging and clanging just blends right in.:p

The sick part is that, I love that truck more than the day I bought it......To my knowledge, non of the Big 3 make trucks with manual transmissions anymore, so I gotta keep her going as long as I can.

My buddy says it sounds like a load of cement being delivered every time I drive by his house.

Paul

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is no insult to you at all.
I'm just surprised your neighbors haven't run you off.
Most places that look like that have HOA's that have so many rules that having a tractor a trailer and a truck would all fall into their no go rules.
Issues like those are precisely why I live in the middle of the woods!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
turn the radio up haha
Tractors have radios ?
Most places that look like that have HOA's that have so many rules that having a tractor a trailer and a truck would all fall into their no go rules.
The not so easy answer to that is to have enough buildings to keep most of the chit inside.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How well is that duct tape at holding the cracks in the concrete together? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1684261409941.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
No insult taken.

I walk a fine line for sure. As you point out, there are plenty of rules.

For instance, you can have a trailer in your driveway for no more than 3 days. So I store it at my daughters, then bring it home Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to play with it....then tow it away Monday...

Apparently, even though it's not in the By-Laws,......Clocking your tractors top speed is also frowned upon.........

It's quite a PITA honestly, but making stupid decisions like buying a home in a subdivision has it's consequences, so now I have to 'dance the dance'.

Growing up in Suburbia, I never realized how much fun you "country folk" have; until I bought my place up north and the General Lee.

So for now I suck it up, skirt the rules, and keep planning my exit strategy.