Accidently left parking brake on BX23

bweeden

Equipment
BX23
Oct 20, 2012
Barrington NH
Just did a major service on my BX 23, about halfway through the day I accidently forgot I set the parking brake, I noticed it was having a hard time backing up in hi range so just dropped it to low range and it worked fine had to drive a little leveling out a few things and grabbing a couple of buckets of gravel. I noticed the parking brake was on as I hosed the machine off. My question is should I change the hst fluid again, I am worried about brake contamination
I dont think they were adjusted too tight as it moved pretty easy and would still go well in high range

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
We've all done it at least once. Well, I've done it once and wont do it again. :eek:

I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 users

bweeden

Equipment
BX23
Oct 20, 2012
Barrington NH
My only problem is I went about a qtr of a mile, but like i said they werent dragging that bad, just a slight whine in high range from the HST

Reactions: 1 user

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Most tractor owners have left the brakes on at one time or another. The rest of them are liars. :)

It happens. You fluid should be just fine. If there is any brake "dust" the HST filters will take care of it. Just continue on your maintenance schedule and put it out of your mind.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Agree completely with everyone else. We have left the brake engaged on our BX2200 more times than I could remember and there have been no issues. The only reason we don't do this on our BX2660 is because the brakes actually work well and it won't move without a LOT of complaining.

Our other tractors have warning lights or won't go into gear until the brake is released.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah leaving the parking brakes on are like bikers,
ya got those that have crashed and those that havent yet,
the rest are liers:D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Once was enough. After that I installed a bright LED safety light on the dash, if the key is on and the brake is on, that bright light is on.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I know I've dont it more times then I care to admit too, not only on my tractor but vehicles too.

hilltoolboy

Equipment
LS3800
Aug 31, 2017
Middleville
Hello guys
I need to join that club of leaving the parking brake on my LS3800 tonight
went around the field once with my finish mower running not far but then the tractor stopped, doesn't move forward or reverse, what have I done, shear pin somewhere?
Also manual didn't come with from dealer in 2011, where can I download one free with mechanical breakdown and info?
Thanks for any help

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Hmmm I've left mine on a few times but I noticed it immediately. My BX would not budge. Though I did not 'stomp' on the go pedal either.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hmmm I've left mine on a few times but I noticed it immediately. My BX would not budge. Though I did not 'stomp' on the go pedal either.
True with mine - aint gonna move at all, and she groans too! The little red light goes off in the head...... "hey, dumbass, tap the brake!"....

And yes, I have heard that voice more than once, ok 14 times?:p:)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
True with mine - aint gonna move at all, and she groans too! The little red light goes off in the head...... "hey, dumbass, tap the brake!"....

And yes, I have heard that voice more than once, ok 14 times?:p:)
Ah, so it is YOUR voice in my head!:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Y'all mean that little voice that says ,,,,HEY STUPID !!!!! Yeah I hearde it afor too

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
I installed a switch and additional light on my tractor so I don't drive off with the brakes locked.. as like others, I had done that a number of times.

I got a thumbs up from the dealer when he picked up my tractor to install the front end loader, as he mentioned they have had tractors come back for completely worned out internal brakes due to extreme use with the brakes locked on. Very expensive to repair.

I installed a magnetic switch that turns the flashers (and the extra light) on anytime the brake lock lever is down.

Attachments

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I installed a magnetic switch that turns the flashers (and the extra light) on anytime the brake lock lever is down.
Fantastic. You should try and patent that idea.. I for one have driven with the brakes on and fortunately noticed it in time.
I will be working on my own device shortly....but maybe with a different device to alert me....like a recording of "hey stupid you did it again". :D

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I am glad someone posted this. When my B2650 was delivered the guy was showing me the system, changing FEL and snow blade to show me the SSQA. Then he said for me to take the blade and disconnect so we could reinstall the FEL. I started driving and was thinking in my head that this thing just did not have the umph I was anticipating. Dropped the blade and started back and realized the brake was on. Good lesson taught fast and of short duration so no apparent damage. Amazing thing is that when the brake is off it has plenty of power, lol.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I left mine on, on my previous B. Mowed the whole front before I realized.

I have since trained myself to step on brake before turning key, so if it is engaged it will be unlocked when I lift my foot.

1- Brake pedal
2- lift bucket
3- verify range

Away I go...