Accidently left parking brake on BX23

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
AHHHummmm I bet it will pull through the brakes if you push it enough,, I know this to be true cause the young man down the road did it to his,, and then had the DUHHHH moment

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My MX will not move if parking brake is set
My B7100 won't move in high range with the parking brake on, but will drive away effortlessly if in low range.

Reactions: 1 user

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I installed a switch and additional light on my tractor so I don't drive off with the brakes locked.. as like others, I had done that a number of times.

I got a thumbs up from the dealer when he picked up my tractor to install the front end loader, as he mentioned they have had tractors come back for completely worned out internal brakes due to extreme use with the brakes locked on. Very expensive to repair.

I installed a magnetic switch that turns the flashers (and the extra light) on anytime the brake lock lever is down.

Put me down as one of those guys that has done it.
Can you post a picture and description of the switch and mounting that you used? This has been on my "list" of indoor projects to do for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Hello guys

I need to join that club of leaving the parking brake on my LS3800 tonight

went around the field once with my finish mower running not far but then the tractor stopped, doesn't move forward or reverse, what have I done, shear pin somewhere?

Also manual didn't come with from dealer in 2011, where can I download one free with mechanical breakdown and info?

Thanks for any help

http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/in.../&AutoIndex=ec41297983d8098053a93e58b21aa890

no 3800 listed but find one compatible with your tractor

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Can you post a picture and description of the switch and mounting that you used? This has been on my "list" of indoor projects to do for a year.
Recommend using a magnetic reed switch commonly found used in security systems as any type of non sealed mechanical switch is likely to get jammed up with dust and dirt on the underside of a tractor. The levers and rods underneath the typical tractor also don't lend them selves very well in providing convenient and protected locations for the switch.

The first and last photos below show how I mounted the switch on my BX2230, the first pic with the brakes off and the last one with the brakes on. Another issue to consider is as the brakes wear, the brake pedal/lever is going to move further and further down over time, so I chose a switch that can be set up to be in the off position when the brake pedal is at the top of it's travel, and activates as soon as the pedal moves off the home position.

To do this with a magnetic switch, you need a switch that provides (C) common and (NC) Normally Closed contacts, and will likely have the (NO) Normally Open contact which is not used with the way mine is mounted. When the magnet is next to the switch, the magnet opens the (NC) normally closed contacts and as the brake pedal is pressed, the NC contacts go closed as the magnet moves away from the switch.

Since wiring is going to vary tractor from tractor, you'll probably need to do a bit of voltmeter probing to find the correct place to wire the switch into. On my BX2230, the Hazard Warning Light switch is a simple single pole, single throw switch with only two connection points, so the magnetic switch is simply wired in parallel with that switch. Since the flashing yellow lights are on the rear of the tractor and the instrument panel flashing lights are too dim (or is it me :<)) for me to see in bright sunlight, I added an additional amber LED light up front.

Lastly stay away from the cheapest priced magnetic reed switches. I've had a few of them in the house security system start sticking.

While I was concerned a bit with the small current ratings magnetic reed switches tend to have, this one has worked well on the tractor. https://smile.amazon.com/Philmore-N...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MP799J66F9KGJ5R0EZ5Z

Attachments

Last edited:

TopK

Equipment
BX2360
Jul 30, 2023
Aylett, VA
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has forgotten to release the Parking Brake - I'm still getting used to the BX2360 that I bought used a couple months ago, and have forgotten to release the brake at least 3 times so far - luckily I only traveled a few feet each time before realizing my error. It just dawned on me how to avoid this problem (besides sticking a note in front of my face) - I keep a ballast box hooked to my rear end - I'll just start using that as my parking brake - drop the box - the tractor will be stuck to the ground even on a slope! That way I won't wear out my brakes (which I understand is about 40 hrs of work on the BX - who came up with that design?). 😊

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I installed a blinking LIGHT which is activated by the parking-brake handle to avoid this….(after the first 4 or 5 times I did it. But the spoke of the steering wheel would sometimes block my view of the flashing Red Light.

IMG_1482.jpeg

So THEN I installed a “SonAlert” …a LOUD, flashing ON/OFF OBNOXIOUS BEEPER.

Then I got tired of hearing the Beeper while I was changing an implement or moving an object out the my way…. so I learned I could Stop the Incessant “BEEPING” by turning off the ignition switch…(which on a M4700 does not shut-down the tractor because the M4700 has a manual Pull-Stop Knob)….

So NOW….. I can drive the tractor while the light flashes and the Beeper is silent and the Brakes are SET.

I’m back to square ONE.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Like everyone else, I've done it a few times in the past. Now it's..."foot on the brake pedals"...then insert key!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have a whole trophy case full of these.

1694018627604.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
IMG_0487.jpeg

2016 B26 already had a mounting tab for a motorcycle rear brake light switch. Brake handle makes setting the brake easier and firmer. Gives second visual indication.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
I'm wondering how many different parking brake setups are on these tractors.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Forgetting the brake happens to almost everyone. If you can remember, really clamping the brake down tight when setting it will make it more obvious when you try to drive again.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Forgetting the brake happens to almost everyone. If you can remember, really clamping the brake down tight when setting it will make it more obvious when you try to drive again.
Good technique.
When we got the B26 my wife would forget sometimes and operate with brake on. Good about setting the when getting off. With the light and lever modifications no longer a problem. Better for the tractor, better for our relationship.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
If the parking brake is holding tight, you won't just absent-mindedly drive off without releasing it.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Not sure using the rear ballast as your parking brake is the best idea but I guess it works better then no break. I would from time to time forget the parking break in my old Ford 5600 but you wouldn’t get a foot of travel without noticing. I would think if your able to not notice your parking brake is on and you can continue to use the tractor your break is already worn not set properly or not working properly. I saw this was an old thread but definitely Something people should find out before trailering it if that’s something you do.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I’ve left mine on plenty when I first got my L3800. Which was about the time this thread was started.

Lots of names at the beginning of this thread that were once regulars, I had forgotten about a lot of them.

Actually, it reminded me of a thread I started years ago, what’s average age of OTT users, I may need to dig it up and get it going again, since there seems to be lot of new users.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Reminds me of an old saw one of my machining instructors used to say:
"There are only two kinds of people; those who have done it, and those who will do it."