What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
While installing new rear tires today....I decided also to set my wheels as outboard (wide) as the rims would allow. Previously they were at the narrowest setting and the tractor has always felt more than a little 'tippy' in off camber situations.

I was amazed to find that I gained an entire 12" of overall width which dramatically improves the 'seat of the pants' feel for stability.

Very little of the tires are still under the fender-wells now, so no doubt I'll be throwing some mud on myself at times.....but its worth it I believe for the added safety.

It also greatly increased the clearance between my 3 pt. turnbuckles and the tires.....which before was quite crowded with certain implements attached.

Before:

View attachment 98703

After:

View attachment 98704
Mine are also set as wide as possible. I have not experienced any problems with them set wide. My dealer only preps the new machines with R1's on the wide rim setting for customer safety and stability. I think you will be glad you did.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Mine are also set as wide as possible. I have not experienced any problems with them set wide. My dealer only preps the new machines with R1's on the wide rim setting for customer safety and stability. I think you will be glad you did.

I am now considering 2" wheel spacers for the front. I am aware of the added strain they put on an axle, but I don't overload the axle or do any extreme lifting with my FEL as it is. So I don't think I would damage anything.

I drove over an area in one field that has an unavoidable 'side hill' section and the difference in 'felt' stability was stark.

I don't intend to let that result in 'over confidence' but it sure felt better than in the past.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
While installing new rear tires today....I decided also to set my wheels as outboard (wide) as the rims would allow. Previously they were at the narrowest setting and the tractor has always felt more than a little 'tippy' in off camber situations.

I was amazed to find that I gained an entire 12" of overall width which dramatically improves the 'seat of the pants' feel for stability.

Very little of the tires are still under the fender-wells now, so no doubt I'll be throwing some mud on myself at times.....but its worth it I believe for the added safety.

It also greatly increased the clearance between my 3 pt. turnbuckles and the tires.....which before was quite crowded with certain implements attached.

Before:

View attachment 98703

After:

View attachment 98704
Look into getting some of the wide rubber that they add to pickup trucks when wide rear wheels are added to them. Then figure out a way to attach the rubber to your tractor. The last thing put some orange paint on the green thingy hanging off the rear of the tractor!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Took advantage of the warm weather today 70+. Took down three of our 4 tree stands. Moved some attachments around and put a pallet in place to start getting new bee hives ready for bees. That is for tomorrow when it is raining all day.
Good luck with your bees.
Mine were dying off every Winter, so I quit.
Still have all the equipment though....hoping my adult son would be interested.
Too many diseases to deal with.
Had much more success years ago.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good luck with your bees.
Mine were dying off every Winter, so I quit.
Still have all the equipment though....hoping my adult son would be interested.
Too many diseases to deal with.
Had much more success years ago.
That’s why I gave away all my father’s bees and equipment when he passed. I knew what to do with all the treatments for hive beetles, varroa mites, etc. Worked them as a teenager when he had 16 hives (it was much simpler back then) and in recent years when he’d cut back to 6; only whenever he was unable to do it himself, which at one point was a full year.

He loved his bees so kept them as long as he was around but once he was gone I had no interest in continuing. Too much of a pain and just because you can do something doesn’t mean you enjoy it. They were kind of like his old 9N; lots of great memories associated with them and some not so great memories, but no longer had any net utility so they were better off with someone that really wanted them.

New owners were happy to get them, a bunch of drawn out comb, and enough equipment to run probably 20 double brood chamber hives for a total of $0. Dad would have been happy his bees got to live on and that was a lot more important than whatever the equipment and bees could have sold for.

Reactions: 2 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
The last thing put some orange paint on the green thingy hanging off the rear of the tractor!
^^^^^

Yeah, sacrilege I know.....posting anything but 'orange' on this site, but I have some 'green' stuff too. ;)

Tractor2.jpg

I'm not particularly Brand Loyal, whatever gets the job done, but the Kubota IS my favorite.

Reactions: 6 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Getting really tired of this crap.

20230324_153818.jpg

20230324_161419.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have had a 120' ham radio tower. There is a bearing at 60' so the top 60' rotates (there is a guying ring bearing at 100'). We are moving shortly and I tried giving it away to anyone who was qualified to take it down. The only 'takers' to the offer were people with no experience. This is not a learn by doing project. So today. . .

I put a rope at 100' down thru a snatch block to the Kubota. I loosened the 3 turnbuckles on one anchor point to take the pressure off that leg. Then I cut the leg with the sawzall. Back to the anchor point the sawzall was used to cut the 3/4" anchor rod.

At that point my son was on the tractor and started to slowly pull. Down it came into the trees. Fortunately the bearing at 60' separated and I had 2 60' lengths stuck in the trees.

Using the guy lines as pull ropes and the snatch block the Kubota was able to get everything out of the trees and onto the ground.

Amazingly it looks like all 12 sections are still straight. An impossible job for me to do without the tractor.

1679694580246.png

tower down20230324_145835.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am now considering 2" wheel spacers for the front. I am aware of the added strain they put on an axle, but I don't overload the axle or do any extreme lifting with my FEL as it is. So I don't think I would damage anything.

I drove over an area in one field that has an unavoidable 'side hill' section and the difference in 'felt' stability was stark.

I don't intend to let that result in 'over confidence' but it sure felt better than in the past.
^^^^^

Yeah, sacrilege I know.....posting anything but 'orange' on this site, but I have some 'green' stuff too. ;)

View attachment 98738

I'm not particularly Brand Loyal, whatever gets the job done, but the Kubota IS my favorite.
GET A ROPE! HAHAHA

Don't put spacers on the front, they do nothing to help stability as the front axle just pivots.
And it pivots to a point that if your that far in a tilt, your in trouble!

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Started to mount a tool box on the LX2610 HSDC and this looked like the best spot for now as it has a backhoe for the tractor. I did not drill into the loader frame it just is using a hole that was there.

20230324_142358[1].jpg
20230324_142429[1].jpg
20230324_142459[1].jpg

Reactions: 2 users